Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Packages » newbie questions about packages, widgets libs and dependancies...
newbie questions about packages, widgets libs and dependancies... [message #605] Wed, 18 January 2006 03:39 Go to next message
unknown user
I am new to Ultimate++,planing to switch from MFC to some other
lib such as wxwidgets,qt or ultimate++.the ultimate++ is amazing,has no so many layers(I mean Inherit),small codebase,etc.it looks good and I notice it has pdfdraw package,that is what I want.I wonder if I can only use some of packages of this lib,I don't need database package and else,if can,can they be included into other IDES as code::block,and what's the package's dependce?

[Updated on: Sun, 30 April 2006 12:55] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: a few question about widgets [message #606 is a reply to message #605] Wed, 18 January 2006 08:42 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
In fact:

"only use some of packages of this lib"

issue is closely related to

"can they be included into other IDES as code::block,and what's the package's dependce".

The main and original reason for TheIDE existence is just that - introducing the modularity using package's dependence.

Each package "knows" what other packages are needed for it to work. Means e.g. SqlCtrls package (contains SQL related widgets) has dependency on "Sql" (core SQL stuff) and "CtrlLib" (basic widget library). Now "Sql" depends on "Core", whereas "CtrlLib" depends on "CtrlCore", and so on.....

Packages also contain all the info needed to compile them on any supported platform in any of supported modes (like debug, release, multithreaded etc....).

All of that means that converting Ultimate++ into the "regular" library, you have to handle all this stuff. Technically it is possible, but simplicity and effectiveness would be lost.

Then there are visual designers of TheIDE. We could make them separate programs, but once again, simplicity would be lost.

TheIDE dependency is scary, I agree. OTOH, we are trying to make TheIDE as good as possible and I believe that it is quite effective IDE, means there is a little advantage in using other IDE than TheIDE.

If there is anything in Code::Blocks that would be worth adding to TheIDE, post it to wishlist. Sooner or later, it will get implemented Smile

Mirek

[Updated on: Wed, 18 January 2006 08:43]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: workspace and packages
Next Topic: What is the idea behind "export project"?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:14:59 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01204 seconds