Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » deciding whether to use this or VC on windows
icon11.gif  deciding whether to use this or VC on windows [message #10144] Fri, 22 June 2007 04:39 Go to next message
bonami is currently offline  bonami
Experienced Member
I'm such a newbie of GUI. formerly i only used VB. i see many programs now use gtk+, such as gaim and wireshark. someone suggested U++ so i'd like to give this a try.
though i want my program to be cross-platform, i need it to look like Windows on windows. i installed U++ and tested a couple of examples and see that the icons and UI are not like other windows programs (Win32 API?).
i know U++ is relatively young. but i need to know whether this can be and will be changed.
thanks.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 July 2007 09:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: deciding whether to use this or VC on windows [message #10147 is a reply to message #10144] Fri, 22 June 2007 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
You can put any icons you like into *.iml files. But can you answer why Apple didn't make Itunes and Safari to not look like Windows?
icon6.gif  Re: deciding whether to use this or VC on windows [message #10148 is a reply to message #10144] Fri, 22 June 2007 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
itunes are like many today's programs, having customized interface. but the key is they have common looking if you "open file...", which is a standard Win32/API dialog, or sth. can U++ do this?
anyway, i am considering whether i can bear the unfamiliar icons currently.
Re: deciding whether to use this or VC on windows [message #10149 is a reply to message #10148] Fri, 22 June 2007 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Icons it is not a problem. I've copied some windows icons into my upp linux applications just because I like them.
And because u++ anyway uses windows libraries e.g. to create windows (you can have a look at CtrlCore Win32 section) I do no see big problems to extend upp code and to have win32 dialogs. I have experimented with them (but ended with creating my own system with quick tree opener... and then just not using M$ at all Smile ).

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2007 06:41]

icon3.gif  Re: deciding whether to use this or VC on windows [message #10153 is a reply to message #10144] Fri, 22 June 2007 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
i'm creating my first GUI application but the project it created automatically is not so alike as the sample CompDir. how should i define my window?

#include "EZComm.h" //this is automatically created
EZComm::EZComm()
{
CtrlLayout(*this, "EZ Comm"); //i want a title so i added this
}

CompDir is
class DlgCompareDir : public WithCompareDirLayout<TopWindow> {
while mine is
class EZComm : public TopWindow {

If I leave it as is, I have trouble compiling. Only after I changed it to class EZComm : public WithEZCommLayout<TopWindow> { does it succeed.
why? must i look into the cdb file it generated to change this?
what are the steps to create a GUI program?

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2007 09:00]

Re: deciding whether to use this or VC on windows [message #10155 is a reply to message #10153] Fri, 22 June 2007 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mezise is currently offline  mezise
bonami wrote on Fri, 22 June 2007 08:38

and I found no WithCompareDirLayout in U++ directory!

Search for "CompareDirLayout".
It is in CompDir.lay file which contains macro items created by Upp layout designer
Word "With" is added by the LAYOUT macro.
To switch in TheIDE between the design view and the source view of the lay file click on this file and press Ctrl+T.

Look through manual entries on http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$documentation$en-us.htm l , specially GUI Turorial on http://www.ultimatepp.org/srcdoc$CtrlLib$Tutorial$en-us.html .
Layouts example is described in section 16.

Michal
icon10.gif  Re: deciding whether to use this or VC on windows [message #10159 is a reply to message #10144] Fri, 22 June 2007 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
yeah. i forgot online manuals. thank you.
but, hey, it says nothing about .lay, so i suppose it's not my situation.
i c that WithEZCommLayout is necessary for me because it correlates .lay to my TopWindow subclass. i just would like to know how i know the string without viewing .cdb, which is in the cfg dir of U++!
& it's awkward i cannot use the method in the tutorial, Title() to set my windows title, while having to use CtrlLayout() like CompDir.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2007 11:58]

Re: deciding whether to use this or VC on windows [message #10160 is a reply to message #10159] Fri, 22 June 2007 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mezise is currently offline  mezise
I do not clearly understand your problem. Title() method works correctly for me.
The best way to recognize your problem is to create a descriptive test package demonstrating it. Then pack it and attach the file on this forum. We will see what is going wrong.

Michal
Re: deciding whether to use this or VC on windows [message #10164 is a reply to message #10159] Fri, 22 June 2007 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
bonami wrote on Fri, 22 June 2007 05:41

yeah. i forgot online manuals. thank you.

BTW, most of documentation available online is just export of documentation delivered with U++. Just click that icon with question mark in your toolbar...

Mirek
Re: deciding whether to use this or VC on windows [message #10274 is a reply to message #10144] Fri, 29 June 2007 04:01 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
IC. i created the package as without a main window. now i created a new package and it defauls to use CtrlLayout("this", "title");
Title() can set its title, but without CtrlLayout, it disables all .lay controls.

glad i've put a window with controls.
now the problems are library (dll) usage, which i've replied a post in ide::package subforum and control usages, which i'm learning.
trouble you guys later. Twisted Evil
Previous Topic: release mode with mingw and msc8
Next Topic: Develop Proprietary application using UPP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:11:27 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02063 seconds