Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Minor releases?
icon5.gif  Minor releases? [message #12069] Wed, 10 October 2007 06:00 Go to next message
iksobert is currently offline  iksobert
Promising Member
Hello all,
I am just wondering if there are any plans to do minor (and bug fix) releases of UPP. I am currently using 2007.1, and have patched the libraries because of this: http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=859 6& (crash when compiling in anything other than debug) and this: http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=829 2& (crash when non-number is entered into EditInt).

Sorry if I have missed this somewhere else.

By the way, ultimate++ is absolutely wonderful! i can't even count the amount of time that it has saved me.
Re: Minor releases? [message #12073 is a reply to message #12069] Wed, 10 October 2007 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
iksobert wrote on Wed, 10 October 2007 06:00

Hello all,
I am just wondering if there are any plans to do minor (and bug fix) releases of UPP. I am currently using 2007.1, and have patched the libraries because of this: http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=859 6& (crash when compiling in anything other than debug) and this: http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=829 2& (crash when non-number is entered into EditInt).

By the way, ultimate++ is absolutely wonderful! i can't even count the amount of time that it has saved me.

Hello,

all old known bugs are fixed in the next dev release. You can download current dev version that include the above corrections.
The problem with the dev version is that can appear some new bug. If it appear you can immediately patch it.
I release my program using almost latest dev version. If you use 2007.1 version then you missed the Drag and Drop and some other nice features of the current dev version.

Luigi
Re: Minor releases? [message #12074 is a reply to message #12069] Wed, 10 October 2007 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
iksobert wrote on Wed, 10 October 2007 00:00

Hello all,

Well, I guess the debate is still sort of on about what releases should go.

Personally, I always use the absolutely latest (uvs2) version to do everything, including mission critical apps. Dev versions are next to it.

Major versions are sort of "freeze dev, wait a couple of weeks for major bugs to appear, then name it Major release". Of course, usually there are some targets too to be done before an attempt at major version.

That said, 2007.2 is coming.

Mirek
Re: Minor releases? [message #12075 is a reply to message #12069] Wed, 10 October 2007 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
drop uvs in favor of svn on better line, give users rights to modify main branch, or let them create experiment branches, and the process of modifying/bending -> adopting -> merging with core by users will get much easier. Also staying in sync with recent developments will be easier on linux when svn will be always most recent.
Re: Minor releases? [message #12076 is a reply to message #12075] Wed, 10 October 2007 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Wed, 10 October 2007 08:27

drop uvs in favor of svn on better line, give users rights to modify main branch, or let them create experiment branches, and the process of modifying/bending -> adopting -> merging with core by users will get much easier. Also staying in sync with recent developments will be easier on linux when svn will be always most recent.

I am planning nightly builds, nightly svn updates. I guess experimental branches are the next thing to do.

Still reluctant about rights to modify the main branch though...

Mirek
Re: Minor releases? [message #12077 is a reply to message #12069] Wed, 10 October 2007 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
With experimental branches it will be much easier to keep them up to date with main line. The owner of experimental branch will simply apply all new commits from main line on his branch, and fix any conflict (which should be pretty sparse).

So there's no pressure on right to modify main line in such configuration.
Once the experimental branch will have it's new feature enough polished, it may be merged into main line by core UPP developer. (once again a simple task if it will be already updated with all main line commits by the experiment owner).

[Updated on: Wed, 10 October 2007 16:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Minor releases? [message #12078 is a reply to message #12069] Wed, 10 October 2007 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Also having all the time branch "public fixes" following the main line closely with rights for anyone registered to commit there you may get fixes from users into SVN ASAP, than somebody from Upp core will revise them and either roll them back or polish+merge into main.
The benefit will be very low entering costs for anyone interested into fixing something on Upp. He would just register on SVN (probably done by him already if he want to be up to date with latest development), and commit his fix.
And it may be reviewed by anybody else since then.
Re: Minor releases? [message #12128 is a reply to message #12078] Fri, 12 October 2007 07:48 Go to previous message
iksobert is currently offline  iksobert
Promising Member
Wow, i can't believe i missed the dev version! Embarassed i guess i was only looking at the download on the front page. i will download that right away.

Thanks for the information!

[Updated on: Fri, 12 October 2007 07:49]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: U++ as .lib
Next Topic: Linux release coobook
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:30:06 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01658 seconds