Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » Console Applications
icon9.gif  Console Applications [message #12335] Thu, 25 October 2007 15:19 Go to next message
pippo is currently offline  pippo
Promising Member
Console applications runs with Linux-Ubuntu??

Gui application runs right, but with consol application the console not appears...

I attach some screenshot, so somebody can verify if I wrong something.

10aa3a8774daeb994a88cc07572e2b6c
Re: Console Applications [message #12336 is a reply to message #12335] Thu, 25 October 2007 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
No Message Body

Re: Console Applications [message #12338 is a reply to message #12335] Thu, 25 October 2007 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
No Message Body

icon4.gif  Re: Console Applications [message #12339 is a reply to message #12335] Thu, 25 October 2007 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
pippo wrote on Thu, 25 October 2007 15:19

Gui application runs right, but with consol application the console not appears...

NOTE: 50000 cycles whit printf() still in run for enought time..!
The program ends after about 3 seconds.
But if I make a loop forever, it's the same. Confused

Re: Console Applications [message #12341 is a reply to message #12335] Thu, 25 October 2007 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Go to Debug / Run options dialog.

And switch Standart output to "Console" IIRC.
(or try the other two if this one will not work)

This should make all standard output to show inside TheIDE. (even in release mode, not only in debug)

About running such binary outside of UPP.
The "sh <file>" would work only for shell scripts, the correct way of executing binary files in *NIX is: <path>/<file>
If you are in the same directory as the desired file, you still must provide the path, but in this case the "./pippo" will suffice.
Without path only default paths from environment are scanned for such file, not the current directory. (security feature)
Re: Console Applications [message #12342 is a reply to message #12341] Thu, 25 October 2007 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Ok, I understand about running such binary outside of UPP, and I thank you very much. Embarassed I'm newbie about linux...

But I don't understand about debugging mode.
I use linux from 2 week Embarassed and I don't know what is IIRC.
In dialog (see attach) I can only choose:
- no output (?) (standalone)
- console (I set this).
- file
Then, there's a flag "external application", but not change anything....

Can you help me, please? Confused

Excuse for my english... and for my skill Smile

Re: Console Applications [message #12344 is a reply to message #12335] Thu, 25 October 2007 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
IIRC = "If I Recall Correctly."

The console is the right setting for you.
Then after running the application (press Debug/Execute [Ctrl+F5] or Debug/Run [F5]) TheIDE should show (if it is hidden) the bottom pane with console output. (the window where also compilation progress is shown.)

Like this:
index.php?t=getfile&id=799&private=0
icon12.gif  Re: Console Applications [message #12347 is a reply to message #12335] Thu, 25 October 2007 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tvanriper is currently offline  tvanriper
For whatever it's worth, I'm a native speaker of English, and have been into message boards, chatting, and so on for over half of my 40 years of life, yet I didn't know what IIRC meant, either, until today.

Whenever someone used that abbreviation, I just sort of blipped by it, hoping I wouldn't wind up eventually saying something that didn't make sense.
Re: Console Applications [message #12349 is a reply to message #12347] Thu, 25 October 2007 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
tvanriper wrote on Thu, 25 October 2007 23:08

For whatever it's worth, I'm a native speaker of English, and have been into message boards, chatting, and so on for over half of my 40 years of life, yet I didn't know what IIRC meant, either, until today.

Whenever someone used that abbreviation, I just sort of blipped by it, hoping I wouldn't wind up eventually saying something that didn't make sense.

I quote you entirely... even being native Italian speaker.
And, if I must tell it all, I was ignoring OTOH meaning too, just before entering UPP forums....

Max
Re: Console Applications [message #12358 is a reply to message #12344] Fri, 26 October 2007 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Nothing to do: to ME, it run differently.
Let's look compiling mode, also: it's like your mode.

But to me not run: still on getchar() and I must kill this process by "system monitor".

See the attach; I've used F5-key to compile and start, then Upp switch in debug window, then I've switched on compile windows wishing to see output.... Crying or Very Sad

I must develop a multithread application for a "embedded" system.
I not need a graphics interface, because my software must communicate by serial port... but I want include a "shell" for technical maintenance e management.
I can send output to file and see the file with "tail -f <name>", but for input???

It's a bug? Someone will fix this bug, in some release?

Re: Console Applications [message #12362 is a reply to message #12358] Fri, 26 October 2007 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
I've seen the same behaviour. You can't get input on console app, if run inside theide... at least, I don't know how to do it.
I think it should run a separate terminal window to do it.

Ciao

Max
Re: Console Applications [message #12366 is a reply to message #12335] Fri, 26 October 2007 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Ah input. I never use input during development (except some by-hand tests in shell outside of IDE), so it didn't occur to me you may need it.

Well, input inside TheIDE is probably impossible (unless Mirek will prove us wrong).

In windows having the option "Standalone" will cause the application to run inside cmd.exe window, but in kubuntu this option does nothing for me. IMHO this may be fixed easily(?) by somebody who knows more about TheIDE source and about execution of binaries inside *NIX shell.

Possible workarounds for you:
1) use shell and run the binary outside of IDE. (I would especially recommend two monitors setup or virtual desktops, so you can switch easily between IDE and shell window)
2) if you use all the time same input, put the whole input into some input.txt file, and run your application with " < input.txt" program arguments (Debug/Run options..). Your application will read input from that file than.
Actually 2) will save you lot of typing if you always run the application with same input, and it may work as some sort of automatic test for you.

I would also suggest to develop firstly as many inner modules (eventually split into different packages if possible and it feels good from API/objects design point of view) as possible with predefined inputs for automatic tests, and do the final testing of whole application afterwards by hand in some shell. (Although automatic tests are always better in the long term, but sometimes they may be tricky to create/execute, if the "*user* input" should be emulated in such test)
Re: Console Applications [message #12372 is a reply to message #12349] Fri, 26 October 2007 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piratalp is currently offline  piratalp
Promising Member
mdelfede wrote on Thu, 25 October 2007 18:30

tvanriper wrote on Thu, 25 October 2007 23:08

I quote you entirely... even being native Italian speaker.
And, if I must tell it all, I was ignoring OTOH meaning too, just before entering UPP forums....

Max

I just can't believe you both!
I'm from Argentina and my english is very limited but I asked for OTOH & AFAIK one of the first time I saw them and I was told to google for "common english abbreviations" and you find the answer for all those 'strange' uppercase words used frequently un mailing lists, chats and forums..

CUL8R Wink
Re: Console Applications [message #12373 is a reply to message #12372] Fri, 26 October 2007 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
piratalp wrote on Fri, 26 October 2007 18:52

I just can't believe you both!
I'm from Argentina and my english is very limited but I asked for OTOH & AFAIK one of the first time I saw them and I was told to google for "common english abbreviations" and you find the answer for all those 'strange' uppercase words used frequently un mailing lists, chats and forums..

CUL8R Wink

Well, that's what I did when I saw OTOH for the 100-th time Smile
I was thinkin' to seem an idiot asking such a question Embarassed
Now I finally think I was an idiot DON'T asking such a question!
BTW, I hate abbreviations, IMHO they're nonsense, OTOH they're used often !
CUL8R too Mad
Re: Console Applications [message #12383 is a reply to message #12335] Sat, 27 October 2007 04:28 Go to previous message
tvanriper is currently offline  tvanriper
There's a special challenge, for me, in figuring out the meaning of expressions and abbreviations from context. IIRC was one of those that I hadn't figured out. That's mostly why I never looked it up or asked... because I am kind of a freak.
Previous Topic: svd build - segmentation fault changing main package [bug]
Next Topic: Uvs build - Undefined symbol error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:59:52 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01476 seconds