Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » PR Idea
icon3.gif  PR Idea [message #12337] Thu, 25 October 2007 15:23
innervision is currently offline  innervision

Hello guys! First post here, but who cares Smile

I've been thinking about this for a while and I think I have a nice idea that would help boost U++'s popularity. There is one kind of program that is *sorely* missing in Windows and Linux, and that's a general text editor. I mean, there are millions of good editors, each of them cancelling the claim to fame of the others, but what people want is a TextMate. And the guys at Macromate have already said they won't port their editor because they are just not interested.

I know two projects that aim to cover that niche: Intype, which seems pretty dead, with updates coming up every 6 months or so and with no real compatibility with TextMate bundles, and E-Texteditor, for which I own a license. E comes closer to the real thing, but is still years away in features and bundle compatibility. Also, feedback in the forum isn't great.

The advantages of creating a TextMate clone are clear: first, there's instant popularity, as an open source project aiming to cover such a big gap is prone to succeed. Then, it will be a nice test-bed, and it will probably create requirements for U++ to fill that will in turn make U++ more appealing to the general public. And last, but not least, the off-chance of creating an small turmoil in the computer industry. I, for one, know at least some 10 guys that say they'd buy a Mac just for TextMate if they weren't so difficult to find (and expensive) down here.

So, what do you think? Anyone's interested in taking the challenge? (I, sure as hell, am).

Cheers,
David
Previous Topic: Downloadable Documentation
Next Topic: Spams on wiki
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:13:00 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01007 seconds