Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » OS Problems etc., Win32, POSIX, MacOS, FreeBSD, X11 etc » cross compile from win32 to Linux
icon5.gif  cross compile from win32 to Linux [message #12977] Sun, 02 December 2007 00:36 Go to next message
Andy2222 is currently offline  Andy2222
Is there some easy way to setup the U++ IDE to output Linux compatible files/bins? Meaning cross compile on windows for Linux?

As far as i can see only the mingw libs are included in the windows version, so what all is needed for the Linux setup?

thx
Re: cross compile from win32 to Linux [message #12980 is a reply to message #12977] Sun, 02 December 2007 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Andy2222 wrote on Sun, 02 December 2007 00:36

Is there some easy way to setup the U++ IDE to output Linux compatible files/bins? Meaning cross compile on windows for Linux?

As far as i can see only the mingw libs are included in the windows version, so what all is needed for the Linux setup?

thx

Hi,

as far as I know there is no such possibility.
What you can do is to compile the same source code on a linux platform.

Luigi
Re: cross compile from win32 to Linux [message #12981 is a reply to message #12977] Sun, 02 December 2007 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
Maybe an alternative way could be, that AFAIK, you can setup remote builds, so you can edit your sources on Windows and build them on a remote Linux machine.
Re: cross compile from win32 to Linux [message #12997 is a reply to message #12977] Tue, 04 December 2007 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andy2222 is currently offline  Andy2222
Thx for the infos, that was what i was afraid of. Seems realy working cross compilers + ide is still at the state it was 10 yea hrs ago Crying or Very Sad

At least we have MinGW Smile

I guess i will have to work on windows and simply setup a second compile environment on my remote linux server.

At least im happy i stumbled around Ultimate++ i cant wait to test out the UI and Container stuff Razz
Im also surprised how easy UTF-8 vs WideChar's are handled, i still have nightmares working on a directshow project with mixed interfaces.

PS: What is the recommend way to have 16 byte aligned memory for a container or all internal storage? Need this for propper SSE intrinsics? The silly way was always globaly override new... and route it to _aligned_malloc or use my own stl aligned_allocator.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 December 2007 13:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: cross compile from win32 to Linux [message #12998 is a reply to message #12997] Tue, 04 December 2007 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Andy2222 wrote on Tue, 04 December 2007 13:36

PS: What is the recommend way to have 16 byte aligned memory for a container or all internal storage? Need this for propper SSE intrinsics? The silly way was always globaly override new... and route it to _aligned_malloc or use my own stl aligned_allocator.

Please post this in the appropriate forum or your question can be hided and risk no answer. Moreover this can help the search for other users having your same problem.
Thanks.
Luigi
Re: cross compile from win32 to Linux [message #13004 is a reply to message #12997] Wed, 05 December 2007 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
You may also try virtualization?

VirtualBox + some linux distro + Ultimate = compilation for linux "under windows". (Or vmware is total classic, but I hear the new VirtualBox is quite powerful/stable and easy to use)

If it will work, that is. (I didn't personally try this setup, but I'm sort of interested into it too, just the other way around, with windows virtualized under linux, as kubuntu is my main system)
Re: cross compile from win32 to Linux [message #13012 is a reply to message #13004] Wed, 05 December 2007 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
I've tried VirtualBox with the Windows-under-Linux formula (very funny having Windows dwarfed inside a X11 window Cool ) and must say I'm happy with it, except that file transfer between the two systems via shared folders is a bit slow.

David

[Updated on: Wed, 05 December 2007 14:05]

Re: cross compile from win32 to Linux [message #15573 is a reply to message #13012] Tue, 29 April 2008 14:08 Go to previous message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
I also develop for both platforms by using Windows XP in a VirtualBox VM. It works great. I don't like the shared folders of VirtualBox as I had some issues with it, so I set up Samba server on Linux and used regular network sharing, so the host and guest OSes appear to be on the same network (useful for testing cross-platform network apps too Smile).

Also, I set up an SVN server on the Linux (host) machine and check in/out the code from all machines so that I don't have to keep copying files back and forth with the networked folders. This will additionally allow you to branch for testing os-specific features that you may have to implement.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 April 2008 14:11]

Previous Topic: U++ heap Leak errors on Linux (Kubuntu)
Next Topic: Ubuntu 8.04 linking problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:55:44 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02547 seconds