Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » FreeBSD port
FreeBSD port [message #1038] Wed, 15 February 2006 21:34 Go to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
I have created a FreeBSD port, it should be available soon to FreeBSD users via the ports tree.
Well, there were only quite a few changes needed. The patches are attached and are waiting for feedback.

Thanks,
Matthias
Re: FreeBSD port [message #1042 is a reply to message #1038] Wed, 15 February 2006 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Thank you!

BTW, you will likely consider that stupid, but do you think it would be possible to create "linux style" (binary+sources) freebsd version that could be placed on sourceforge.net? (I have noticed some remarks about BSD flavors not working well with pots and also I believe that for many people, me included, it would be easier to try).

Mirek
Re: FreeBSD port [message #1043 is a reply to message #1042] Wed, 15 February 2006 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can do that, but a package will be automatically build from the port and it will be put on the FreeBSD FTP sites, too.

So, it is not the "usual" way to put the package on the project website, since every FreeBSD user uses either the ports to build from sources or installs the package that is downloaded from a FreeBSD FTP site.

I think you have different options:

1. Only state on your website, that a FreeBSD port of upp exists and it can be installed using the FreeBSD ports system.

2. Put the port directory and the binary package on the sf site. (I can give you both)

3. Only put the binary package on the sf site and try to encorporate my changes into the upp sources.

I think option 1 is the best solution and maybe you include a link to the package on a FreeBSD FTP site for direct download. But it is your choice Smile!

Oh, one important thing I forgot to mention:
I submitted the port to the FreeBSD project, but I have to wait until it is really submitted into the ports tree. And this can take up to a few weeks, so you should wait with the website update until it is really submitted.

And another important thing I forgot to say:
The patches were applied against the sources having UNIX line endings, so a conversion has to take place before applying the patches.

Matthias

[Updated on: Wed, 15 February 2006 23:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: FreeBSD port [message #1044 is a reply to message #1043] Wed, 15 February 2006 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, given the last note, I think that 2 and 3 do not sound that bad.... Smile (We will be releasing final version within 14 days and it would be cool if we could announce FreeBSD compatibility at the time).

Mirek
Re: FreeBSD port [message #1045 is a reply to message #1044] Wed, 15 February 2006 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, but I have to prepare the FreeBSD port for the final version, so otherwise only 602beta will be available at that time.

So, if you are able to provide me with a "pre-" final version I can take care of. Then the changes (if needed) could be done very qickly, I think.
Re: FreeBSD port [message #1056 is a reply to message #1045] Thu, 16 February 2006 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, I cannot Smile It will not be much different from beta3 which will be probably released on Monday...

Mirek
Re: FreeBSD port [message #1318 is a reply to message #1056] Mon, 27 February 2006 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr_jumba is currently offline  dr_jumba
Promising Member
Is it possible to include in source package the FreeBSD special Makefile with masu's patches? E.g. Makefile.FreeBSD

As for Build 602beta4 it was compiled good by me on FreeBSD with some minor changes applied from masu's port patches.

Re: FreeBSD port [message #1322 is a reply to message #1318] Mon, 27 February 2006 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
dr_jumba wrote on Mon, 27 February 2006 16:19

Is it possible to include in source package the FreeBSD special Makefile with masu's patches? E.g. Makefile.FreeBSD

As for Build 602beta4 it was compiled good by me on FreeBSD with some minor changes applied from masu's port patches.

Well, I think we can upload it to sf.net download page.

Another option is to provide full binary there.

Mirek
icon5.gif  Re: FreeBSD port [message #1360 is a reply to message #1038] Tue, 28 February 2006 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr_jumba is currently offline  dr_jumba
Promising Member
masu wrote on Wed, 15 February 2006 22:34

I have created a FreeBSD port, it should be available soon to FreeBSD users via the ports tree.
Well, there were only quite a few changes needed. The patches are attached and are waiting for feedback.

Thanks,
Matthias

Hello Matthias,

Can you explain the reason of patch for Install.cpp regarding UPP_DIR?

#ifdef PLATFORM_FREEBSD
String upp = FromSystemCharset(getenv("UPP_DIR"));
if(IsNull(upp)) {

Thanks.
Re: FreeBSD port [message #1403 is a reply to message #1360] Thu, 02 March 2006 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I am sorry that I reply that late, but I received the notification just today.

> Can you explain the reason of patch for Install.cpp regarding UPP_DIR?
>
> #ifdef PLATFORM_FREEBSD
> String upp = FromSystemCharset(getenv("UPP_DIR"));
> if(IsNull(upp)) {
> .....

The reason is that I made the port installing its files in /usr/X11R6/share/upp, i.e. all files needed are copied into this directory. Normally you have to have root priviliges to install a port, so if a normal user runs 'uppide' initially, all needed files are copied into the directory defined in $UPP_DIR. This can be defined by the user or the default ~/upp is used.
This has to be done in order to work with theIDE, since packages are compiled inside uppsrc even if you only a sample.

Matthias
Re: FreeBSD port [message #1405 is a reply to message #1403] Thu, 02 March 2006 22:58 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
masu wrote on Thu, 02 March 2006 16:37

Hi,

I am sorry that I reply that late, but I received the notification just today.

> Can you explain the reason of patch for Install.cpp regarding UPP_DIR?
>
> #ifdef PLATFORM_FREEBSD
> String upp = FromSystemCharset(getenv("UPP_DIR"));
> if(IsNull(upp)) {
> .....

The reason is that I made the port installing its files in /usr/X11R6/share/upp, i.e. all files needed are copied into this directory. Normally you have to have root priviliges to install a port, so if a normal user runs 'uppide' initially, all needed files are copied into the directory defined in $UPP_DIR. This can be defined by the user or the default ~/upp is used.
This has to be done in order to work with theIDE, since packages are compiled inside uppsrc even if you only a sample.

Matthias

Actually, I guess it is a time to reconsider POSIX issues like makefiles, autoconfig, placement of files etc... simply all things we ordinal Win32 developers do not understand that well... Wink

Starting new topic in "Technology lab"...

Mirek
Previous Topic: www.osnews.com 602
Next Topic: What about adding comments to the examples in the wiki?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:21:39 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01911 seconds