Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Tools or methodologies you use when developing software
Tools or methodologies you use when developing software [message #13194] Thu, 20 December 2007 06:54 Go to next message
mobilehunter is currently offline  mobilehunter
Hi,

I'm curious to what you guys are using when developing a software(be it simple plugin or big software).

It could be software name and methodology name you always use.

For example, what Mirek is using now when developing U++.
I'm trying to learn UML when developing some simple(small) software.
But sometime i feel it takes much time for simple software to use UML.
So i ended up with some sketches on paper Smile

How about you guys?

Regards,
Reza
Re: Tools or methodologies you use when developing software [message #13195 is a reply to message #13194] Thu, 20 December 2007 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

I tried UML too, but came to simplified version of action diagrams on scratches of paper.

Every time having some programming task, first of all I use my imagination. Pretending to be simple user, I get sheet of paper and drawing what will I see on the screen.
Yes, I start with drawing sketches of program GUI and ideas how it should behave. I start with being simple user.

Then I put these sketches to some corner of the table for day, 2 days or even week. After these days I take papers, look at the interface and start thinking what should be erased from there. Interface should be as simple as possible making program functionality most native and clear for user.

For example, I try to use 1 toggle button where most programmers use two buttons or switches - it all depends on exact situation.

Only after polishing GUI, I memorize that I`m a programmer and think of program structure that implements my exact GUI and it`s behaviour.

I do this by taking another sheet of paper and writing big program components and their dependencies. Polished that general model, I make sketches of more detailed versions of components (modules, classes).
Re: Tools or methodologies you use when developing software [message #13199 is a reply to message #13194] Thu, 20 December 2007 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mobilehunter wrote on Thu, 20 December 2007 00:54

For example, what Mirek is using now when developing U++.

Usually TheIDE and brain Smile

I never got real taste for those methodologies. The only practical benefit I can see is to describe the real world, but then again, with U++ writing the prototype code is only a small bit harder...

So my currect methodology can be described as "code first, ask later". It is more economical for me to rewrite the bad app from scratch than to go through any tedious "metodology" process.

But perhaps it is just because all of these years I have spend coding...

Mirek
Re: Tools or methodologies you use when developing software [message #13220 is a reply to message #13194] Sun, 23 December 2007 13:32 Go to previous message
tvanriper is currently offline  tvanriper
I rarely-to-never have time to get into huge UML sessions or worry about Rational Rose and so on.

I might spend a little time on the whiteboard (since much of what I do involves communicating across various forms of hardware), working out the component design so I know what to program, but once I get programming, I see everything in my head.

I have a tendency to program both from the bottom up and from the top down. Eventually, the code meets somewhere in the middle.

Experience has taught that if I only go from the bottom up, I wind up with a butt-ugly GUI that few people can use. If I only go from the top-down, I wind up with a crappy design that I cannot extend later. Working both ways, I wind up creating a glue-layer between the two, and everything works well.
Previous Topic: What framework/toolkit have you used before U++?
Next Topic: C++ FQA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:29:30 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01253 seconds