Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » Strange build error only after changing
Strange build error only after changing [message #13812] Tue, 29 January 2008 00:32 Go to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Hi!

I found a really strange build error. I have some sources on the net. I download them, compile, link, everything is OK. I add an inline function to the main .h, still compiles. I use it in one of the .cpp files, and I get:

ToolsDropPane.obj : error LNK2005: "public: static class Upp::Iml & __cdecl CBPImages::Iml(void)" (?Iml@CBPIm
	ages@@SAAAV0Upp@@XZ) already defined in $blitz.obj
ToolsDropPane.obj : error LNK2005: "public: static class Upp::Image __cdecl CBPImages::Get(int)" (?Get@CBPIma
	ges@@SA?AVImage@Upp@@H@Z) already defined in $blitz.obj
ToolsDropPane.obj : error LNK2005: "public: static class Upp::Image __cdecl CBPImages::Get(char const *)" (?G
	et@CBPImages@@SA?AVImage@Upp@@PBD@Z) already defined in $blitz.obj
ToolsDropPane.obj : error LNK2005: "public: static int __cdecl CBPImages::Find(class Upp::String const &)" (?
	Find@CBPImages@@SAHABVString@Upp@@@Z) already defined in $blitz.obj
ToolsDropPane.obj : error LNK2005: "public: static int __cdecl CBPImages::Find(char const *)" (?Find@CBPImage
	s@@SAHPBD@Z) already defined in $blitz.obj
ToolsDropPane.obj : error LNK2005: "public: static void __cdecl CBPImages::Set(int,class Upp::Image const &)"
	 (?Set@CBPImages@@SAXHABVImage@Upp@@@Z) already defined in $blitz.obj
ToolsDropPane.obj : error LNK2005: "public: static void __cdecl CBPImages::Set(char const *,class Upp::Image 
	const &)" (?Set@CBPImages@@SAXPBDABVImage@Upp@@@Z) already defined in $blitz.obj
D:\Develop\upp12\out\MSC8.Debug_full.Gui\CBPMain.exe : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symb
	ols found

Even after pressing undo to remove all changes, these errors persist. Rebuild, clean + rebuild, nothing helps. I've even done a treedif to see, and the files are absolutely identical to their downloaded state. Only happens with MSC8.

I can't post a test case, but do you have any idea how to fix this?
Re: Strange build error only after changing [message #13818 is a reply to message #13812] Tue, 29 January 2008 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Try to switch off blitz and/or "Build / Clean UPPOUT".
Depends which one you value more, the already built objects or usage of BLITZ. (I suggest to do both)

How did you do "clean", trough Upp build menu? Maybe some blitz files remain anyway so Clean UPPOUT is safer option (that deletes absolutely everything from build directory).

To me it looks like some .cpp file is compiled both individually and inside the big "blitz" file, so all of it's instantiated variables do get multiple definitions during linking.
It may be also problem with instantiating variables inside .h/.hpp files.

And finally I would check date/time of all source files, and current time on the machine, if they are bogus (future?) dates, it may cause havoc both to compiler itself and to blitz heuristic (at least so I think).

edit: And on multi-core CPU the multi threaded compilation may hit the problem with future dates too, there was some fix already between 2007.1 and current dev I think? Try to limit compilation to single thread (Setup/Environment/IDE/HYDRA 1 threads), if this helps, check the "changes" forum if you are using older UPP to see when there was some minor fix introduced.
(But I don't think this is the cause, as this one always did work when the compilation was invoked second time after first failure.)

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2008 09:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Strange build error only after changing [message #13821 is a reply to message #13818] Tue, 29 January 2008 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
I tried everything that you suggested. Set all dates for today, done repeated cleans (normal + UPPOUT) followed by builds, with and without BLITZ, with different values to HYDRA heads, and still no luck. Tested on 2008.1beta and 7.12dev and reproduced on another computer.

At least MINGW works until I can find the problem.

How do you usually set up a complex project structure, with interface split into multiple files/classes, so that it optimally uses BLITZ?
Re: Strange build error only after changing [message #13822 is a reply to message #13812] Tue, 29 January 2008 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
You can't get "$blitz.obj" with BLITZ off (after clean UPPOUT).
So you must get different problem in such case.
Are you sure it's always the same problem?

If yes, use "verbose" ON and check out where is the $blitz.obj found and what paths are used when MSCC is called. But it is sort of "impossible", so watch out what is really going on.

I can't help with complex project structure (didn't had any "complex" enough, I think TheIDE is the most complex UPP project available with sources right now.)
Re: Strange build error only after changing [message #13824 is a reply to message #13821] Tue, 29 January 2008 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Tue, 29 January 2008 04:42

I tried everything that you suggested. Set all dates for today, done repeated cleans (normal + UPPOUT) followed by builds, with and without BLITZ, with different values to HYDRA heads, and still no luck. Tested on 2008.1beta and 7.12dev and reproduced on another computer.

IMO, you have wrong #includes for .iml.

You should include iml_header.h in header file and iml_source.h in .cpp.

Quote:

How do you usually set up a complex project structure, with interface split into multiple files/classes, so that it optimally uses BLITZ?

For BLITZ, the best is single header per package included in all .cpp files.

Mirek
Re: Strange build error only after changing [message #13833 is a reply to message #13824] Tue, 29 January 2008 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Tue, 29 January 2008 14:04

Thank you!

That solved the problem. I even created a separate .cpp only for <Draw/iml_sources.h>. Since when do you need to include separate files int the .h and .cpp? I never had any problems with just using <Draw/iml.h> since I started using U++.

Quote:

For BLITZ, the best is single header per package included in all .cpp files.

I think it's quite ironic that in order to increase your compilation speed you need to do the exact opposite of what you learned about C++: if you minimize you .h dependencies, you compilation speed could improve.

Just a question: is BLITZ partially responsible for the big binary size? It would seem that it makes it rather difficult to generate small obj files.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2008 14:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Strange build error only after changing [message #13838 is a reply to message #13833] Tue, 29 January 2008 16:11 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Tue, 29 January 2008 08:35

luzr wrote on Tue, 29 January 2008 14:04

Thank you!

That solved the problem. I even created a separate .cpp only for <Draw/iml_sources.h>. Since when do you need to include separate files int the .h and .cpp? I never had any problems with just using <Draw/iml.h> since I started using U++.

iml.h is just doing both _header and _source. So you can really use it for a single .cpp file and better put it into .cpp...

Think about _header as variable declaration ("extern") and _source as definition.

Quote:

I think it's quite ironic that in order to increase your compilation speed you need to do the exact opposite of what you learned about C++: if you minimize you .h dependencies, you compilation speed could improve.

Actually, it really does not matter that much.... (BLITZ will work with "sparse headers" model quite will too). But it is the most straightforward way.

Quote:

Just a question: is BLITZ partially responsible for the big binary size? It would seem that it makes it rather difficult to generate small obj files.

Yes. That is why for release mode, BLITZ is not recommended.

Actually, I have started to consider inverse-BLITZ technique for release mode - one that would split .cpp files by functions Smile

(In theory, this should work with GCC and Linux with -ffunction-sections. In practice, it does not).

Mirek
Previous Topic: Question about debugging dll
Next Topic: [BUG??] Blitz issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 18:08:11 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03034 seconds