Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration
icon4.gif  Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15300] Tue, 15 April 2008 23:13 Go to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
SUBJ.

That makes impossible to build many applications on systems, which do not have GTK installed, or have out-of-date version of GTK.

IMHO, all GUI applications should have the NOGTK configuration.

I've attached a patch for UPP examples.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15308 is a reply to message #15300] Wed, 16 April 2008 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Tue, 15 April 2008 17:13

SUBJ.

That makes impossible to build many applications on systems, which do not have GTK installed, or have out-of-date version of GTK.

IMHO, all GUI applications should have the NOGTK configuration.

I've attached a patch for UPP examples.

Hm...

Maybe we should rather introduce some "configuration header" instead?

Without GTK, you are not even able to start theide, you need special U++ version anyway...

Mirek
Re: Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15309 is a reply to message #15300] Wed, 16 April 2008 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
To run TheIDE you only need GTK runtime, but to build something you need dev libs too.
So I can imagine a situation where TheIDE can be run, but any GTK package can not be compiled.

But it should be quite a rare case? Although as KDE user I prefer applications which don't need GTK at all, not even runtime. But I have no idea how much is missing from UPP GUI in case of NOGTK flag used.
Re: Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15312 is a reply to message #15309] Wed, 16 April 2008 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Wed, 16 April 2008 03:21

To run TheIDE you only need GTK runtime, but to build something you need dev libs too.

It is hard to imagine a platform without dev libraries...

Quote:

But it should be quite a rare case? Although as KDE user I prefer applications which don't need GTK at all, not even runtime. But I have no idea how much is missing from UPP GUI in case of NOGTK flag used.

Well, even KDE provides via GTK interface the one thing we need the GTK for: theming...

Mirek
Re: Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15345 is a reply to message #15308] Thu, 17 April 2008 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 16 April 2008 02:44

Without GTK, you are not even able to start theide, you need special U++ version anyway...

I'm using U++ at home to produce a Makefile (TheIDE built at home won't run at work even if built without GTK).

After that I can build TheIDE at work with some manual altering of Makefile (for some reason Makefile is based on absolute file names).

There is always a way ...

Regards,
Novo
Re: Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15346 is a reply to message #15312] Thu, 17 April 2008 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 16 April 2008 04:08

Well, even KDE provides via GTK interface the one thing we need the GTK for: theming...

Well, theming over SSH is not really important. The best theme I can afford is Classic. If U++ had even simpler theme I would prefer it. Wink

Regards,
Novo
Re: Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15347 is a reply to message #15309] Thu, 17 April 2008 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mr_ped wrote on Wed, 16 April 2008 03:21

But I have no idea how much is missing from UPP GUI in case of NOGTK flag used.

There is a bug with menu (it is flicking).

Otherwise everything else is pretty the same. Wink

TheIDE is working. That is good enough. Smile

Regards,
Novo
Re: Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15348 is a reply to message #15308] Thu, 17 April 2008 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

I have no idea what "configuration header" means, but every Linux GUI application can be either GTK or NOGTK based (at least for now). Probably, there is no reason to mention that in each project file.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15352 is a reply to message #15348] Thu, 17 April 2008 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Wed, 16 April 2008 23:56

I have no idea what "configuration header" means

Let us place

#include <uppconfig.h>

into Core.h and let us put

#define flagNOGTK

into it on your platform Smile

(The only question remaining is where to put uppconfig.h Smile

Mirek
Re: Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15364 is a reply to message #15352] Thu, 17 April 2008 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 06:25

Let us place

#include <uppconfig.h>

#define flagNOGTK

Mirek

This "configuration header" should be a result of a configuration procedure, something similar to Setup -> Automatic Setup.

IMHO, that shouldn’t be just a C++ header. It is more like a property of TheIDE. It is somewhat strange to see “NOGTK GUI” in Main Configuration on Windows and do not have NOGTK with all applications on Unix.

Probably, it is possible to make platform-specific configurations in U++ project files.

BTW, has somebody tried to build U++ with GTK on Windows Wink Theoretically, that should be possible.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15366 is a reply to message #15364] Thu, 17 April 2008 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 13:00

luzr wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 06:25

Let us place

#include <uppconfig.h>

#define flagNOGTK

Mirek

This "configuration header" should be a result of a configuration procedure, something similar to Setup -> Automatic Setup.

IMHO, that shouldn’t be just a C++ header. It is more like a property of TheIDE. It is somewhat strange to see “NOGTK GUI” in Main Configuration on Windows and do not have NOGTK with all applications on Unix.

Hm I would not worry so hard. It is what config flags are for, after all..

Anyway, back to the plan. I guess uppsrc nest root is as good place to put uppconfig.h as any other Wink Could you try that this idea works in practice please?

Mirek
Re: Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15367 is a reply to message #15366] Thu, 17 April 2008 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 13:08

Anyway, back to the plan. I guess uppsrc nest root is as good place to put uppconfig.h as any other Wink Could you try that this idea works in practice please?

Mirek

Bombs GUI ...

Linking...
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtk-x11-2.0
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Regards,
Novo
Re: Not all GUI UPP project files have NOGTK configuration [message #15399 is a reply to message #15367] Mon, 21 April 2008 03:52 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Novo wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 14:09

luzr wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 13:08

Mirek

Bombs GUI ...

Linking...
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtk-x11-2.0
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I'd like to say that defining flagNOGTK in Core.h didn't help.

Linking is still broken.

Adding "NOGTK GUI" configuration to all project files still seems to be the easiest solution.

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: Bazaar....
Next Topic: Small note...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:44:49 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01170 seconds