Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » GIT
GIT [message #15990] Wed, 21 May 2008 22:22 Go to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

I found GIT to be very fast. Importing 1500 files of uppsrc to git repo took only few seconds (on win32, p4 3ghz and msysgit). And Git dosn't create .git directory in every subdirectory. The only con right now is git needs to be installed on remote machine if we want our repo to be shared with others (bazaar dosn't have this restriction). I think we should move from uvs/svn to git. It's much more powerful. For example I can commit to my local repo not working code and sync it with remote repo if my changes will be finished. I have started to work on UltimateGit app (as there is no really good gui for git IMO) but I think we should finally add to TheIDE some kind of VCS interface so anyone willing could write plugin to his favourite VCS.
Re: GIT [message #15996 is a reply to message #15990] Thu, 22 May 2008 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
yes, yes, yes, yes... Wink

I'm thinking about trying out GIT for several months, but I never had the mood+time to really try, so if U++ will move to it, at least I will have more motivation.

How about GIT and windows? Did you think about this? (it doesn't scare *me* too much, as I'm closing all my old relations to windows over years and now I'm working more at linux or embedded platforms, but Mirek looks like he has to support lot of legacy applications even for W98 Shocked .)
Re: GIT [message #16004 is a reply to message #15996] Thu, 22 May 2008 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

As I wrote I used msysgit which is native port of GIT for win32 platform Smile
BTW: here you'll find nice git commands wallpaper : http://zrusin.blogspot.com/2007/09/git-cheat-sheet.html
Re: GIT [message #16006 is a reply to message #16004] Thu, 22 May 2008 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
well, I was just thinking to start an svn add-on for theide... I'm in favour of a server-based repository, imho shared repos depends too much on how often people shares them.
And don't see very much advantage on use a shared system as git and then setup a server based repository... But that's only my opinion. I looked also over Mercurial some time ago... nice stuff too, in some ways superior to git, but also a shared repository.

Ciao

Max
Re: GIT [message #16007 is a reply to message #16006] Thu, 22 May 2008 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
For me a huge advantage is as Uno mentioned the ability to work with the repo offline.

The next second advantage is that you also have a natural backup system, because chances are high somebody else has a repo copy in case of local data loss.

I had a huge project I put into a GIT repo out of curiosity and I found it to be much smaller in total in comparison to the original SVN working copy.

Matthias
Re: GIT [message #16008 is a reply to message #16007] Thu, 22 May 2008 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
I don't think GIT is bad, I only think that it can bring troubles if people don't share often enough their local repositories....
Linus Thorvalds uses it for Linux Kernel, but that's an obvious choice because he wants to have the full control of repository and decide which patches to apply. Let's say that he uses it like a central repo, and people who wants their patches applied must share with him.

With svn, if you make a patch, you put on central repo and all people CAN fetch it when they wants. With git, you must update your repo, remember to share with all other people (OR setup some sort of central repository, but then, what's the advantage of a distributed one???) an other people must fetch AND sync their local copy. There's no more an "official" copy on which people works, if you don't setup a central public repository.

I see git much more useful to keep some sort of local history of your working copy.

BTW, the fact that svn puts "hidden" .svn folders everywhere (which are usually not hidden on windows...) disturbs me too, but it has the advantage to keep all stuff in a singkle tree.
I don't know how git works, but I gess that it must keep management data somewhere too.

Ciao

Max
Re: GIT [message #16009 is a reply to message #16007] Thu, 22 May 2008 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
I’m using monotone at home. It is not that fast as GIT, but it has other advantages like one-file executable and one-file repository, which is an SQLITE database. I’ve been working a lot with CVS, SVN, and ClearCase. GIT seems to be closer to ClearCase. At least it has a familiar “rebase” command. In monotone everything is unfamiliar. I stuck once trying to merge different combinations of brunches, databases, and working copies. I’d recommend trying out similar merge operations with GIT. And “repair database” command in GIT scares me a little bit ...

Regards,
Novo
Re: GIT [message #16335 is a reply to message #16009] Mon, 09 June 2008 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

I thing that it is a good link for comparation GIT and SVN. For my view I'd like GIT!

http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitSvnComparsion

Quote:

For example the Mozilla repository is reported to be almost 12 GiB when stored in SVN using the fsfs backend. The fsfs backend also requires over 240,000 files in one directory to record all 240,000 commits made over the 10 year project history. The exact same history is stored in Git by only two files totaling just over 420 MiB. SVN requires 30x the disk space to store the same history.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 June 2008 09:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: GIT [message #16342 is a reply to message #16335] Mon, 09 June 2008 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
tojocky wrote on Mon, 09 June 2008 03:03

I thing that it is a good link for comparation GIT and SVN. For my view I'd like GIT!

http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitSvnComparsion

Quote:

For example the Mozilla repository is reported to be almost 12 GiB when stored in SVN using the fsfs backend. The fsfs backend also requires over 240,000 files in one directory to record all 240,000 commits made over the 10 year project history. The exact same history is stored in Git by only two files totaling just over 420 MiB. SVN requires 30x the disk space to store the same history.

Actually, as far as disk usage goes, I could not care less...

Our infrastructure server will have no less than 300GB free (probably much more).

Mirek
Re: GIT [message #16351 is a reply to message #16342] Mon, 09 June 2008 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Mon, 09 June 2008 07:28

Our infrastructure server will have no less than 300GB free (probably much more).
Mirek

Much more important to me than space is speed of git. Listing all files from repository, commits, updates are noticable faster than in svn. Opening upp project in SmartSvn takes a while (my UltimateGit does the same in few seconds. We should really consider git or bazaar in the near future.
Re: GIT [message #16353 is a reply to message #15990] Mon, 09 June 2008 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Wed, 21 May 2008 16:22

I have started to work on UltimateGit app (as there is no really good gui for git IMO) but I think we should finally add to TheIDE some kind of VCS interface so anyone willing could write plugin to his favourite VCS.

Will you make UltimateGit uvs2-like? Smile

(I mean single sync for multiple repositories?)

Mirek
Re: GIT [message #16354 is a reply to message #16353] Mon, 09 June 2008 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

Will be great for a single GUI application and more technologies as uvs2, git, and svn! GIT is more faster than SVN.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 June 2008 22:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: GIT [message #16355 is a reply to message #16353] Mon, 09 June 2008 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Mon, 09 June 2008 15:34

Mirek

Each repository has assigned a tab, so you can open many repos at once. Grouped operations are on to-do list Smile
Re: GIT [message #16357 is a reply to message #16355] Mon, 09 June 2008 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Mon, 09 June 2008 16:11

luzr wrote on Mon, 09 June 2008 15:34

Mirek

Each repository has assigned a tab, so you can open many repos at once. Grouped operations are on to-do list Smile

I do not care about tabs, I need to do everything - commit/update ~7 repositories - in single click Wink (Well, dialog listing what is going to happen would be nice as well).

Mirek
Re: GIT [message #23060 is a reply to message #16357] Sat, 12 September 2009 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sapiency is currently offline  sapiency
hi

what about git now?
I cannot find any package with a ui for git?

reinhard
icon3.gif  MERCURIAL [message #23063 is a reply to message #23060] Sun, 13 September 2009 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
I've been using MERCURIAL for a few years now and it works perfectly. It's works like GIT but has simple commands and great GUI both on linux (hgtk) and windows (TotoiseHg). Cool

I even use it to manage my UPP src code localy: the 'hgpullsvn' allows me to pull the upp svn repository into my hg (meens mercurial) reposirory.
Passing from svn to Mercurial is just as easy as that.

The main advantage Mercurial, GIT, R.I.P. TeamWare (for those who knew it), and generally SCMs that store the repository data with is that you are free to do what you wan't localy WITHOUT disturbing the main repository (One is of course needed as central changeset repository).
==> Every one can therefore start managing their code locally and submit a 'bundle of changesets' for acceptation if they don't have direct deliver rigths.
==> Patches would be delivered as bundles ==> no merge error possible: all is managed by mercurial and complete history is always kept !!

In addition, there is a video where Linus Thorvalds presents GIT. He also talks about MERCURIAL as the only SCM close to GIT Rolling Eyes
Many open source projects are also swithing to mercurial

Mercurial is REALLY WORTH it !!!!!

Please take a look at it:
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/

Re: MERCURIAL [message #23066 is a reply to message #23063] Sun, 13 September 2009 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
I don't think that hg is the choice for everyone. Seems to me that big projects are using git. Gnome is using it, Qt too and also KDE is thinking to switch to it (amarok made the move). See the list from git site for almost every project using git.
I wish U++ to use git too Wink
Re: GIT [message #23067 is a reply to message #15990] Sun, 13 September 2009 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
is u++ used for big projects ??? no but it is a great tool ! This is not a argument.

cocob
Re: GIT [message #23068 is a reply to message #23067] Sun, 13 September 2009 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Quote:

I don't think that hg is the choice for everyone. Seems to me that big projects are using git. Gnome is using it, Qt too and also KDE is thinking to switch to it (amarok made the move). See the list from git site for almost every project using git.
I wish U++ to use git too

Open Solaris, Open JDK, Mozilla, Python, Xen, ... I think are big enough projects. Rolling Eyes

Anyway it seems that GIT has done some progress on documentation since the last time I looked at it.

GIT and mercurial have exactly the same syntax for the main commands, but GIT seems more complicated for the other ones: that is what is usually said about GIT: complicated commands (at least what I read last year).

Anyway the point is to figure out what peaple will, and wan't to use. It seems many upp users work with windows so good windows integration is requested (I haven't tested the GIT Windows GUI).
Documentation is a central point: Mercurial has a complete, and yet simple documentation as well as many interesting plugins.
Simplicity of use is also a primary point: it seems that GIT and HG are just as easy to use (at least for the main commands)

I'm not saying GIT is better or worst than HG, I'm only saying it's worth looking closely at it before deciding to use GIT. Smile

Re: GIT [message #23071 is a reply to message #23067] Mon, 14 September 2009 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
cocob wrote on Sun, 13 September 2009 23:10

is u++ used for big projects ??? no but it is a great tool ! This is not a argument.

cocob

Well, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against mercurial, i really like it because it's written in C/C++ and Python and it's not written in a mixture of languages like git(C, shell script, perls, tcl, python, etc.). It have the same features as git and and proves to be better supported on different platforms.

Didier wrote

Anyway the point is to figure out what peaple will, and wan't to use. It seems many upp users work with windows so good windows integration is requested

Both scm have svn integration so it's possible now to use both in development of U++, the only missing part is theIDE integration(using hg and git from theIDE).
I really like to see U++ going distributed using hg or git. Right now hg is better supported on Windows than git so it's by far the right choice to use it if Mirek think ever to move to a distributed scm.
The only thing remaining is the git popularity vs hg. Do we care about that? Rolling Eyes
Previous Topic: Very nice icon set collection
Next Topic: Running Linux in a browser
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:48:45 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01911 seconds