Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Layout (Forms) Designer » HOWTO Layout designer?
HOWTO Layout designer? [message #16220] Mon, 02 June 2008 22:41 Go to next message
Michel is currently offline  Michel
Promising Member
Hi,

Is there a documentation available on how to use the Layout designer? After some time, I discovered by mere accident that I had to right click on the layout file in order to "Add a new layout".
I am sure there is some further explanation somewhere?

Also, how do I show the layout in the program?

Sorry for these beginner questions, but I just couldn't find an answer...

Thank you,
Michel

edit:

From looking at the sample files, I suppose that the CtrlLayout function is used to show a layout?
The compiler gives me an error message, unfortunately. I guess, I have to inherit from some class, but which?

The error:
/home/michel/upp-beta/uppsrc/CtrlCore/TopWindow.h: In function ‘void Upp::CtrlLayout(T&) [with T = MyAppWindow]’:
/home/michel/upp-beta/MyApps/main/main.cpp:36: instantiated from here
/home/michel/upp-beta/uppsrc/CtrlCore/TopWindow.h:232: error: no matching function for call to ‘InitLayout(MyAppWindow&, MyA
ppWindow&, MyAppWindow&, MyAppWindow&)’

[Updated on: Mon, 02 June 2008 22:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: HOWTO Layout designer? [message #16221 is a reply to message #16220] Mon, 02 June 2008 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
I guess, I am not being bright, because it took me an hour, but I found it Smile

If I say something like this

class MyAppWindow : public Withxxx <TopWindow> {
};

with 'xxx' being the name of the layout, it compiles and shows the layout!

[Updated on: Mon, 02 June 2008 23:05]

Re: HOWTO Layout designer? [message #16222 is a reply to message #16220] Mon, 02 June 2008 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
For some reason TheIde now shows the textual contents of the layout file. Is there a way to see the graphical representation of the layout file again?

Thanks, Michel
Re: HOWTO Layout designer? [message #16223 is a reply to message #16220] Mon, 02 June 2008 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Ok, found the answer to the last question, too.

I am really starting to like UPP! I created a simple program that copies the contents (but reversed) of a LineEdit control to a Label, after the press on a button.

UPP is very impressive and looks awesome! If anyone could point me to a simple beginners HOWTO, though, that would be great. I am sure I could learn a lot more than I have now already Smile

Michel

Re: HOWTO Layout designer? [message #16227 is a reply to message #16220] Tue, 03 June 2008 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Try tutorials, the whole process is quite "read the source" based, so it's not exactly that easy, but than again, C++ was never that easy anyway...

http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$documentation$en-us.htm l
Go to "API Documentation / Getting Started With Ultimate++", there are some basic tutorials about Core types, containers, GUI and some more.

I think the GUI tutorials are easy to follow, although I did miss some concepts on first try and had to return to them every now and than to study them more deeply.
Re: HOWTO Layout designer? [message #16230 is a reply to message #16220] Tue, 03 June 2008 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Ok, thank you.

Any hints on how to add components to the layout, if right clicking the grey area doesn't show any components?
It results in a pop-up menu, with the options User class, All, and Templates, but "all" is empty, unlike in my first try with UPP.

Michel
Re: HOWTO Layout designer? [message #16232 is a reply to message #16230] Tue, 03 June 2008 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
You have to study .usc files. See CtrlLib.usc as an example.
Re: HOWTO Layout designer? [message #16237 is a reply to message #16232] Tue, 03 June 2008 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Ok, thank you, that looks insightful.
Could there be an explanation why designer is not showing any controls that can be added to the layout?
Is it recommended to "hard code" the layout by hand, because the designer doesn't always work?

Edit: When creating a new package, the Template list is empty, so it is not possible to select a CtrLib application? (2008.2 beta)

Edit2: Ok, found the solution: CtrlLib is to be added by hand (using "Insert new package"), after which the designer can be used without problem.

I suppose when one gets to understand UPP, it really seems a solid programming environment.
Too bad about the documentation? I'm sure it would be a lot more "popular", if there were a good beginner's guide?

Anyway, I'm glad it is working now Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 03 June 2008 15:04]

Re: HOWTO Layout designer? [message #16569 is a reply to message #16220] Fri, 27 June 2008 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Infausto is currently offline  Infausto
Promising Member
hello forum. This is my first topic (reply in fact) and i just started to use this amazing IDE. UPP y very professional and very cool. But i have a litte noob question. How i insert a new Layout in my project?. I insert a new file called "Options.lay" with the command "Insert package directory file(s)". Then an Layout editor is open but i cannot insert a "frame" to start the addition of widgets... Any suggestions??

thx in advance.

EDIT: one second after end this post i found the solution... i feel stuppind Razz

[Updated on: Fri, 27 June 2008 06:52]

Re: HOWTO Layout designer? [message #16572 is a reply to message #16220] Fri, 27 June 2008 21:13 Go to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Also try to remember you can always switch to text editing and back to visual as you wish, so in worst case you can switch to text, open different working .lay file, and copy+modify what you need. Wink
Previous Topic: Howto write a layout designer using Ultimate? Any suggest?
Next Topic: Setting font Arial in Layout Designer does not work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:27:22 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00895 seconds