Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Packages » Environment Variables in Package Organiser/Extra Library
Environment Variables in Package Organiser/Extra Library [message #1417] Fri, 03 March 2006 06:22 Go to next message
lundman is currently offline  lundman
Experienced Member

If I wish to link against some external libraries, outside of the normal library search path, in a project with multiple developers, it would be nice to be able to use EnvVars.

Like, -I$SSL/ to point to where openssl is on your OS.

However, it does not appear to expand $SSL. Is this definitely the case?

Lund

Re: Environment Variables in Package Organiser/Extra Library [message #1419 is a reply to message #1417] Fri, 03 March 2006 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
lundman wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 00:22

If I wish to link against some external libraries, outside of the normal library search path, in a project with multiple developers, it would be nice to be able to use EnvVars.

Like, -I$SSL/ to point to where openssl is on your OS.

However, it does not appear to expand $SSL. Is this definitely the case?

Lund

Yes, sorry. Something we have not ever considered. But I guess, it should be fixed. Thanks for the tip Wink

BTW, normal arrangment is to put include paths (or library paths) to your build method - that way compilation will not depend on existence of environment variable. In other words, idea is that build method should serve as an interface between your code and the platform (including the compiler).

Mirek
Re: Environment Variables in Package Organiser/Extra Library [message #1450 is a reply to message #1419] Sat, 04 March 2006 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lundman is currently offline  lundman
Experienced Member

Ah you have a point. Since we are talking about own libraries, that are not "OS installed" it would be nice to avoid full paths in the project, but as you point out, we can add it globally to the .bm file, and since it doesn't hurt to have -L/path on programs that don't need it, that would be just fine.

Lund
Re: Environment Variables in Package Organiser/Extra Library [message #1453 is a reply to message #1450] Sat, 04 March 2006 13:56 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
lundman wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 07:08

Ah you have a point. Since we are talking about own libraries, that are not "OS installed" it would be nice to avoid full paths in the project, but as you point out, we can add it globally to the .bm file, and since it doesn't hurt to have -L/path on programs that don't need it, that would be just fine.

Lund

You can also consider separate build method if having it there all the time would hurt...

Mirek
Previous Topic: package organizer crash with Esc in special case [BUG][FIXED]
Next Topic: incremental package duplication [FEATURE REQUEST]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:23:05 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02302 seconds