Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » Can't run newly compiled helloworld.o (New User)
Can't run newly compiled helloworld.o (New User) [message #1613] Fri, 10 March 2006 01:59 Go to next message
mzelem is currently offline  mzelem
I'm a computer science student and we just switched from java to c++.

I just started using Ultimate++ and 'theide' but when I compile the simple "HelloWorld" code below, I get an output file helloworld.o, and I can't figure out how to run it.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main( )
{
cout << "Hello World!" << endl;
return 0;
}

I'm running Kubuntu Linux Breezy 5.10

Thank you for any help.

Mike
[topic title edited by fudadmin]

[Updated on: Fri, 10 March 2006 02:53] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Can't run newly compiled helloworld.o (New User) [message #1616 is a reply to message #1613] Fri, 10 March 2006 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
*.o is not an executable. Use Ctrl-F5 combination to compile, link and run. From "build" menu open "Output directory" to see what you have got there.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 March 2006 02:55]

Re: Can't run newly compiled helloworld (New User) [message #1617 is a reply to message #1616] Fri, 10 March 2006 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mzelem is currently offline  mzelem
I found a different output file "helloworld" from looking at the output directory as suggested but I can't run that either (no .exe because I'm not in windows)

I just got confused becuase I thought if you were in the same directory as the executable you could just type 'helloworld' and it would run, but I had to type './helloworld' for it to run

[Updated on: Fri, 10 March 2006 06:00]

Re: Can't run newly compiled helloworld (New User) [message #1618 is a reply to message #1617] Fri, 10 March 2006 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
What happens if this:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main( )
{
 string s;
 cout << "Hello World!" << endl;
 cin >> s;
 return 0;
}
Re: Can't run newly compiled helloworld (New User) [message #1619 is a reply to message #1617] Fri, 10 March 2006 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
mzelem wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 03:58

I just got confused becuase I thought if you were in the same directory as the executable you could just type 'helloworld' and it would run, but I had to type './helloworld' for it to run

I've told you to use Ctrl-F5 combination... Smile
Re: Can't run newly compiled helloworld (New User) [message #1623 is a reply to message #1619] Fri, 10 March 2006 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
AFAIK, for console applications and Ctrl+F5, there is probably trouble in X11/Linux - if TheIDE is started from X11 GUI, it does not have any associated console and its console output as well as output of any of its child processes goes to nil.....

Mirek
Re: Can't run newly compiled helloworld.o (New User) [message #1646 is a reply to message #1613] Sat, 11 March 2006 11:19 Go to previous message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
On Linux: you can switch Debug/Run options../Standard output to console to see the output after pressing F5 key (debug).
Previous Topic: Compile Windows .exe on Linux and vice versa, how?
Next Topic: Linux compile fails
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:54:46 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01850 seconds