FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ SQL » OleDB + parameters = problem
OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19782] Sat, 17 January 2009 18:16 Go to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Code:
void Test::remove_person(void)
{
    StringBuffer sql;
    Sql stmt(db_session);

sql << "DELETE FROM person ";
    sql << "WHERE id = ?";

try
    {
        stmt.SetStatement(sql);
        stmt.SetParam(0, sql_person(0));

stmt.ExecuteX();
    }
    catch (const SqlExc& e)
    {
        sql_person.CancelRemove();
        Exclamation("[* " + DeQtfLf(e) + "]");
    }
}

Problem: Execute(OleDB): "Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done. (Microsoft JET Database Engine)
SQL error: DELETE FROM person WHERE id = ?"

The same code was working fine when I wasn't using parameters, and was substituting value into the SQL statement.

Similar approach with parameters works fine with SQLITE database.

Am I missing something?

Regards,
Novo
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19786 is a reply to message #19782] Mon, 19 January 2009 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, I have to admit I am not using parameters mode too much recently; usually it buys you nothing.

Anyway, out of curiosity, I have tried in my current application to replace some SqlExp with explicit params:

#if 1
	sql.SetParam(0, cat.GetKey());
	sql.Execute("select ID, TEXT from ITEM_TYPE where ITEM_CATEGORY_ID = ? order by TEXT");
#else
	SqlBool wh;
	if(!IsNull(cat.GetKey()))
		wh = ITEM_CATEGORY_ID == cat.GetKey();
	sql * Select(ID, TEXT).From(ITEM_TYPE).Where(wh).OrderBy(TEXT);
#endif

In any case, maybe you can try inverse conversion - from SetParam to SqlExp....

BTW, StringBuffer buys you nothing here over plain String and you can simplify your life intensely by using global SQL (as long as you have only single main rdbms):

{
    try
    {
        SQL.SetParam(0, sql_person(0));
	SQL.ExecuteX("DELETE FROM person WHERE id = ?");
    }
    catch (const SqlExc& e)
    {
        sql_person.CancelRemove();
        Exclamation("[* " + DeQtfLf(e) + "]");
    }
}

Mirek
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19789 is a reply to message #19786] Tue, 20 January 2009 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Thanks for your answer.

luzr wrote on Mon, 19 January 2009 04:14

Well, I have to admit I am not using parameters mode too much recently; usually it buys you nothing.

I haven't check how SqlExp with explicit params works, but using parameters with SQL is very important. If you aren't using parameters, then server has to parse your SQL all the time. And very often parsing (and creating an execution plan) is more expensive than executing itself.

Quote:

In any case, maybe you can try inverse conversion - from SetParam to SqlExp....

Actually, I'm planing to move from SetParam to my own database code as soon as I will be able to integrate it into TheIDE build system, which is unfortunately very hard to use in workspace-like way.

Regards,
Novo
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19793 is a reply to message #19789] Wed, 21 January 2009 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 17:34

I haven't check how SqlExp with explicit params works, but using parameters with SQL is very important. If you aren't using parameters, then server has to parse your SQL all the time. And very often parsing (and creating an execution plan) is more expensive than executing itself.

Well, have you benchmarked? I have stopped using precompiled Sql expressions when I noticed there is no difference you can really feel.

It might be useful for some very corner cases like when you are querying single value from single table; in all other cases, pushing data over network witll nullify any advantage you can gain by keeping your statement preparsed.

OTOH, it is still supported. Note also that one nice way how to keep very frequent SQL statements precompiled on the server is to have them static:

{
    static Sql stmt("DELETE FROM person WHERE id = ?");

Mirek
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19794 is a reply to message #19793] Wed, 21 January 2009 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Speaking about it, it would be really nice if you can provide the benchmark.

In fact, current SqlExp should be possible to expand to support parameters as well, with automatic cache of preparsed statements.

Just show me it has any benefit Smile

Mirek
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19806 is a reply to message #19794] Fri, 23 January 2009 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 21 January 2009 08:22

Speaking about it, it would be really nice if you can provide the benchmark.

In fact, current SqlExp should be possible to expand to support parameters as well, with automatic cache of preparsed statements.

Just show me it has any benefit Smile

Mirek

http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=115 05&#msg_11541

Try to compare time of insertion of 100000 records. I believe I included drivers for SQLITE and Firebird, which is not supported by U++. I can try to build drivers for other databases and develop more tests. But that will take some time.

From my personal experience I know that using parameters with ORACLE speeds up database operations approximately three times.
Just try to monitor SQL-cache when inserting millions of records not using parameters. Actually, that would be not absolutely correct test because ORACLE is able to auto-detect parameters-capable SQL and transform SQL before executing it.

Regards,
Novo
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19807 is a reply to message #19793] Fri, 23 January 2009 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 21 January 2009 08:14

OTOH, it is still supported. Note also that one nice way how to keep very frequent SQL statements precompiled on the server is to have them static:

{

Mirek

Precompiled statements get invalidated after you execute a DDL-statement, if I recall that correctly. I think that managing of precompiled statements is more complicated than just declaring a statement static.

Regards,
Novo
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19808 is a reply to message #19806] Fri, 23 January 2009 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Novo wrote on Thu, 22 January 2009 23:48

I can try to build drivers for other databases and develop more tests. But that will take some time.

B.T.W. Improving of UPP-build system would help a lot in this task.

Regards,
Novo
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19811 is a reply to message #19807] Fri, 23 January 2009 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Thu, 22 January 2009 23:55

luzr wrote on Wed, 21 January 2009 08:14

{

Mirek

Precompiled statements get invalidated after you execute a DDL-statement, if I recall that correctly. I think that managing of precompiled statements is more complicated than just declaring a statement static.

How so? That would mean invalidating secondary cursor, IMO, impossible.

Consider:

Sql sql1, sql2;
sql1 * Select(ID).From(DATA).Where(mycondition);
while(sql1.Fetch())
   sql2 * Update(DATA)(FIELD, value).Where(ID == sql1[ID]);

Any RDBMS worth of its name must support such loop. And if this loop works, I believe that declaring cursor static should work too (but I might be wrong, of course).

Mirek
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19812 is a reply to message #19806] Fri, 23 January 2009 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, you have been proved right w.r.t. prepared statements and speed, at least with MSSQL:

void Benchmark()
{
	Sql sql;
	sql * Select(ID).From(SUBJECT);
	Vector<int> id;
	while(sql.Fetch())
		id.Add(sql[0]);
	for(int i = 0; i < id.GetCount(); i++) {
		RTIMING("Unprepared");
		sql % Select(TEXT).From(SUBJECT_ATTR).Where(ATTR == "NAME" && SUBJECT_ID == id[i]);
	}
	sql.SetStatement("select TEXT from SUBJECT_ATTR where ATTR = ? and SUBJECT_ID = ?");
		RTIMING("Prepared");
		sql.Run("NAME", id[i]);
		sql.Fetch();
	}
}

TIMING Prepared       : 79.99 ms - 273.94 us (80.00 ms / 292 ), min:  0.00 ns, max:  1.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 292
TIMING Unprepared     : 483.99 ms -  1.66 ms (484.00 ms / 292 ), min:  0.00 ns, max: 15.00 ms, nesting: 1 - 292

Well, SqlExp cache will be fun Smile Thanks for makeing me aware about this.

Mirek
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19813 is a reply to message #19812] Fri, 23 January 2009 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Anyway, it seems like DDL does not have such bad effect on precompiled statements after all:

void Test()
{
	Sql sql;
	sql * Select(ID).From(SUBJECT);
	Vector<int> id;
	while(sql.Fetch())
		id.Add(sql[0]);
	sql.SetStatement("select TEXT from SUBJECT_ATTR where ATTR = ? and SUBJECT_ID = ?");
		sql.Run("NAME", id[i]);
		if(sql.Fetch()) {
			DDUMP(sql[0]);
			SQL * Update(SUBJECT_ATTR)(ORG_ID, -1).Where(ID == id[i]);
		}
	}
}

Still has correct output...

I guess you can use the 'static' without too much worries.

Mirek
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19820 is a reply to message #19813] Sat, 24 January 2009 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Fri, 23 January 2009 05:59

Anyway, it seems like DDL does not have such bad effect on precompiled statements after all:

I checked my code.

In case of DDL statement and:

ADO - (I was using it with JET and MSSQL Server) I commit transaction and clear statement cache.

SQLITE - clear statement cache and finalize current statement (I'm using old API).

Interbase/Firebird - clear statement cache, rollback transaction, execute DDL, commit transaction. (This database has slightly different transaction model).

ODBC – rollback transaction, execute DDL, commit transaction. Cache is not affected. Probably, this is a bug, or it was tested only with MS SQL Server.

ORACLE - clear statement cache, execute DDL, mark all open statements as invalidated by DDL (they should be prepared again).

CTLIB (Sybase and MS SQL Server) – no problem with cache.

Microsoft has different APIs to work with MS SQL Server. Prepare-Bind-Execute model is implemented using special stored procedures, which are often called by a high-level API. You can check that in FreeTDS ODBC driver. It is open-source.

Regards,
Novo
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19821 is a reply to message #19820] Sat, 24 January 2009 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Sat, 24 January 2009 11:58

luzr wrote on Fri, 23 January 2009 05:59

I checked my code.

In case of DDL statement and:

ADO - (I was using it with JET and MSSQL Server) I commit transaction and clear statement cache.

SQLITE - clear statement cache and finalize current statement (I'm using old API).

Interbase/Firebird - clear statement cache, rollback transaction, execute DDL, commit transaction. (This database has slightly different transaction model).

ODBC – rollback transaction, execute DDL, commit transaction. Cache is not affected. Probably, this is a bug, or it was tested only with MS SQL Server.

ORACLE - clear statement cache, execute DDL, mark all open statements as invalidated by DDL (they should be prepared again).

CTLIB (Sybase and MS SQL Server) – no problem with cache.

Microsoft has different APIs to work with MS SQL Server. Prepare-Bind-Execute model is implemented using special stored procedures, which are often called by a high-level API. You can check that in FreeTDS ODBC driver. It is open-source.

Well, sorry, my mistake, I have messed DDL with DML...

Maybe that why I have not ever encountered the problem in practice.

Seriously, do you often issue DDL during the application run?

IMO, in any multiuser environment, such thing is extremely unlikely because regular users do not have rights to do DDL.

OTOH, if I ever add automated prepared statement cache with SqlExp, "Invalidate" seems like a good idea, right? Smile

Mirek

Mirek
Re: OleDB + parameters = problem [message #19822 is a reply to message #19821] Sun, 25 January 2009 04:44 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Sat, 24 January 2009 14:19

Seriously, do you often issue DDL during the application run?

Happens all the time in my unit-tests. Wink

Seriously, such situation is possible when you create a database schema and populate it with initial data.

Everything, what is theoretically possible, will be done by an user.

Quote:

OTOH, if I ever add automated prepared statement cache with SqlExp, "Invalidate" seems like a good idea, right? Smile

That's right. Actually, cache of prepared statements has sense only in case of using parameters, otherwise there is no reason to reuse statements.

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: How to use Sql * Update
Next Topic: Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:52:03 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02605 seconds