Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Funny experiences with AlphaBlend....
Funny experiences with AlphaBlend.... [message #1627] Fri, 10 March 2006 14:18
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I have started to work on new Image / Draw.

In the process, I am adding Image with alpha channel.

Win32 hase since Win98 dedicated GDI function "AlphaBlend". OK. While in process I have decided to provide fall-back code for older Win32 versions.

To my surprise, visual quality of my code were different - and better - more correct than supposedly HW accelerated one.

OK, then I went on to measure performance - no surprise there, HW is 5 times faster. Anyway, fallback code was still fast enough, at 100us per rendering of single 60x60 image.

Well, interesting. Next attempt - over terminal services and my 256Kb/s line to distant machine (this is in fact quite important if you want to create reasonable framework useful for the real bussines). I expected HW to outperform fallback code significantly.... but fallback code was actually faster by almost 20% (160us vs 200us).

Moreover, results of AlphaBlend on my legacy test rig (Win98, 486DX, 1MB Trindent VGA) were completely invalid (visually wrong).

Well, I guess I will not use AlphaBlend after all... (now going to test what it does with printing...)

Mirek
Previous Topic: POSIX releases...
Next Topic: What is the best: a separate UppCodeEditor or expanding the existing?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 13:50:59 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02399 seconds