Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » New To U++...Where to start?
New To U++...Where to start? [message #1849] Thu, 23 March 2006 04:48 Go to next message
InterKnight is currently offline  InterKnight

Hello, everyone.

I hope that this is the right forum for this posting.

I just began using U++ this evening. It is a very intuitive program. I am having a problem, however, when trying to link programs to .exe files in TheIDE. What is the proper method for doing so? What I did was clicked on Build->Output mode..., but I am not exactly sure if this is correct as when I look at the size of the executable file (just a simple window with a label and a textbox) the size is 11.4MB. Coincidentally, the size of one of the examples included with U++ (the Puzzle sample) was also 11.4MB.

What exactly am I doing wrong and what is the appropriate way to create the executable file for the program being worked on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Take care.
Re: New To U++...Where to start? [message #1850 is a reply to message #1849] Thu, 23 March 2006 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
InterKnight wrote on Wed, 22 March 2006 22:48

Hello, everyone.

I hope that this is the right forum for this posting.

I just began using U++ this evening. It is a very intuitive program. I am having a problem, however, when trying to link programs to .exe files in TheIDE. What is the proper method for doing so? What I did was clicked on Build->Output mode..., but I am not exactly sure if this is correct as when I look at the size of the executable file (just a simple window with a label and a textbox) the size is 11.4MB. Coincidentally, the size of one of the examples included with U++ (the Puzzle sample) was also 11.4MB.

What exactly am I doing wrong and what is the appropriate way to create the executable file for the program being worked on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Take care.

Most likely nothing. What you got is debug version, 11.4 MB is about right.

Switch the mode to "Optimal" - the you will get the optimized version without debug info. You can do it in either "Output mode" or even using right drop arrow of output mode field in main toolbar (left arrow switches compiler chain).

The right size for basic U++ GUI app is below 2MB (ready FAQ to know why is that so high - in short, U++ apps are selfcontained - do not require any .dll to run).

Mirek
Re: New To U++...Where to start? [message #1851 is a reply to message #1850] Thu, 23 March 2006 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
InterKnight is currently offline  InterKnight

Thank you very much, luzr. That completely solved my problem.

I read the HelloWorld tutorial, and that helped to clear some things up for me as far as programming methods used with U++. Does the manual have references to the various classes and such used in U++? If not, what is the best way to learn about the various implementations of the classes for GUI design?

With what I read, I did write a very simple program from scratch, and it worked! After getting used to TheIDE, I was able to get things done pretty quickly. This is an amazing piece of software. I finally am getting my foot into the door with GUI design!

Take care, and thanks again.
Re: New To U++...Where to start? [message #1854 is a reply to message #1851] Thu, 23 March 2006 17:55 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
The best way how to learn U++ is to go through reference examples. Documentation is still lagging, sorry (there is so much more interesting to do Wink

However, I believe that most people found U++ library quite accessible through the code and class interfaces alone. Note that while using TheIDE, library sources are always two or three clicks away.

Mirek
Previous Topic: problem debugging theIde with theIde in Linux [BUG?]
Next Topic: any experiments with gcc4.1?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:18:22 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01825 seconds