FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » question on tool development for the IDE
question on tool development for the IDE [message #23893] Wed, 02 December 2009 08:17 Go to next message
raxvan is currently offline  raxvan
Hello,

I want to create a tool for the ide similar to
http://www.profactor.co.uk/includemanager.php
basically it shows how your files include each other , and all the include paths.

I also have some other stuff in mind to add to that:

1. Ability to perform optimization on the include graph in order to gain speed during compilation.

2. Ability do change the include paths directly from the graph.
That means that you can remove , add , and modify include paths to individual files.

My euqstions is:
Does the Ide need such a tool? Or it would be just a waste of time?

Thanks,
Raxvan.

92b48bf94855483bb4cec8bcc8c0c933
Re: question on tool development for the IDE [message #23894 is a reply to message #23893] Wed, 02 December 2009 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
raxvan wrote on Wed, 02 December 2009 08:17

Hello,

I want to create a tool for the ide similar to
http://www.profactor.co.uk/includemanager.php
basically it shows how your files include each other , and all the include paths.

I also have some other stuff in mind to add to that:

1. Ability to perform optimization on the include graph in order to gain speed during compilation.

2. Ability do change the include paths directly from the graph.
That means that you can remove , add , and modify include paths to individual files.

My euqstions is:
Does the Ide need such a tool? Or it would be just a waste of time?

Thanks,
Raxvan.

For me it would be very interesting, at least the visualization part.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: question on tool development for the IDE [message #23896 is a reply to message #23893] Wed, 02 December 2009 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
During building debug builds with BLITZ enabled this is not a big issue in U++ (I mean the amount of includes in each file), but without BLITZ it's worth to optimize includes even in U++.

The visualization part would be welcome addition for sure.

After all, U++ is just C++, and there's no built-in support for this, so if you have got spare time, why not.
Re: question on tool development for the IDE [message #23899 is a reply to message #23893] Wed, 02 December 2009 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

I'm new to U++ framework , so in order for me to complete at least the visualization there is some stuff i need to know:

1. Is there something in the framework that will help me parse preprocesor directives only?
2. I don't know how to add my GraphCtrl into the Ide.
3. Also i have no clue how to get names and location of the files from the current package ( or selected package).

Raxvan.

Re: question on tool development for the IDE [message #23901 is a reply to message #23899] Thu, 03 December 2009 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
If I were you I would ignore Ide integration for the moment and focus on getting the functionality working given a list of files or a root directory to scan (and maybe a set of additional include paths?).

As long as you design it to run in it's own window and accept a list of input files it will be easy enough to integrate later. TheIde is fairly complicated (particluarly the code parsing/caching bits) and if you're new to Upp it'll be pretty daunting.

Plus it'll be much, much easier to test and debug it if it's a standalone.
Re: question on tool development for the IDE [message #23902 is a reply to message #23893] Thu, 03 December 2009 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've been working in the past 3 days on a GraphCtrl to display any directed graph in such a way that would be easier to read and if possible with minimum overlapping edges.

The algorithm so far works perfect and it is specially designed to
display a graph as it would be a include graph( meaning with no or very fiew graph cycles). This will be the first thing i will post soon here so that people could test various graph configurations.

i will leave the integration in the Ide the last thing to do(if someone wants do do this voluntarily, i don't mind Smile.

Raxvan.

Re: question on tool development for the IDE [message #24170 is a reply to message #23899] Thu, 31 December 2009 09:44 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
raxvan wrote on Wed, 02 December 2009 13:00

Hello,

I'm new to U++ framework , so in order for me to complete at least the visualization there is some stuff i need to know:

1. Is there something in the framework that will help me parse preprocesor directives only?

Preprocessor directives in general: No.

Anyway, theide knows which file includes which other file - it has to because otherwise it could not resolve dependencies while building:

Vector<String> HdependGetDependencies(const String& path);

See uppsrc/ide/Core.h

Quote:

2. I don't know how to add my GraphCtrl into the Ide.

At this stage, you will have to develop it on your machine, then submit the code.

Actual code would be quite simple, just hijack theide menu routine and perhaps add some "Dependency graph" method to Ide class.
Previous Topic: String near match algorithm
Next Topic: Another Sql Report Generator (Use QTF format)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:04:27 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02234 seconds