Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Layout (Forms) Designer » Toggle layout/text view in Layout Designer
Toggle layout/text view in Layout Designer [message #24247] Thu, 07 January 2010 11:23 Go to next message
MAD!C is currently offline  MAD!C
Promising Member
being a upp newbie, i initially wondered why i couldn´t call the designer on layout files (version 1820). now i got the issue:

displaying contents of a .lay file, layout designer switches to text view when i compile and run my package pressing [F5] key. just tested: also happens using the menu command "debug/run (in debugger)"

is this a bug, or how can i switch back to layout view? i found no way other than restarting ide.

in addition, having closed the running application, the debugger still hangs on the final commands, requiring me to jump out of functions [shift-F11] 2 times to really close the app.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 January 2010 11:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Toggle layout/text view in Layout Designer [message #24248 is a reply to message #24247] Thu, 07 January 2010 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello MADIC

Quote:

displaying contents of a .lay file, layout designer switches to text view when i compile and run my package pressing [F5] key. just tested: also happens using the menu command "debug/run (in debugger)"

is this a bug, or how can i switch back to layout view? i found no way other than restarting ide.

Press Ctrl-T or menu "Edit/Edit using the designer" to go to the designer from the text editor. There is a reason for this behavior but I do not know it.

Quote:

in addition, having closed the running application, the debugger still hangs on the final commands, requiring me to jump out of functions [shift-F11] 2 times to really close the app.

Please tell us the operating system and compiler details. And, do this happen to you in any application or only in one ?. If it is the second case please give us more details and/or a simple sample code.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Toggle layout/text view in Layout Designer [message #24250 is a reply to message #24248] Thu, 07 January 2010 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
yoh! ctrl-t! works! got it! (so why does it switch?)

app exit hangs on a new project/package, using the first template ("... bla with main window" or so...). i use winxp sp3. just added some widgets as a test, nothing special...

settings are GUI MT, MINGW Debug. strange, compiling optimal, it still hangs, of course without any opportunity to quit but killing it.

below the code- and asm area the debugger shows
"emutls_destroy ()".

stepping in the next call [F11] shows "ntdll!LdrDisableThreadCalloutsForDll () from C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll"

• Attachment: screen.png
    (Size: 100.82KB, Downloaded 460 times)
Re: Toggle layout/text view in Layout Designer [message #24251 is a reply to message #24250] Thu, 07 January 2010 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
package - 700 bytes of trouble Smile
  • Attachment: jfa.zip
    (Size: 1.12KB, Downloaded 389 times)
Re: Toggle layout/text view in Layout Designer [message #24252 is a reply to message #24247] Thu, 07 January 2010 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
generally speaking:
- during debug mode the layout editor is forced into text mode, because it makes much more sense in debugger, when you step over that part of code. (Layout is regular C++ code, so it can be debugged)

After debug mode is finished, it should turn back into original mode (either visual or text).

During edit you can switch the mode with Ctrl+T, if you are interested what C++ code is generated, or adjust something what is difficult to do visually.

MINGW + debugger is not working very well. Mirek(luzr) is mainly interested into MSC debugging in MS win environment, so unless you want to dig in (very deeply and low level) and figure out what are current problems and how to fix them (Mirek is basically blaming gdb for most of the problems, so if you are fluent with gdb, you may try to use it outside of TheIDE to figure out what works well and what not).

I'm trying to avoid debugging as much as possible (tried TDD for simple small projects which were quite mathematical, so it was pleasure to do it that way ... for GUI applications it will be tougher, there's no problem to test inner "model" with UnitTest++, but I can't help with GUI testing so far), because I like to stick with gcc. (although I do try to compile my sources with MSCC just to make it more robust, it often helps to catch some minor bugs or ambiguous things in source)
If you insist on debugging and MS Win, you should definitely consider using Win SDK + MSCC, TheIDE debugger works much better in such case.
Re: Toggle layout/text view in Layout Designer [message #24253 is a reply to message #24252] Thu, 07 January 2010 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello MADIC

mr_ped is right.

However if you want to work with MinGW you can:

- Disable multi threading flag (MT). Standard MinGW will probably work

- Compile with MinGW-TDM (http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/). This is more advanced than the official MinGW, the install is very easy (with installer) and it has demonstrated to work well. I advise you to use it.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Toggle layout/text view in Layout Designer [message #24254 is a reply to message #24252] Thu, 07 January 2010 13:51 Go to previous message
Promising Member
ok, switched to MSC, exit works fine now. plus, now i understand why msc has been the default compiler after installation.

however, designer keeps the text view after exit - no problem knowing of this ctrl-t thing, just went weirdo before Wink

thank you!!!
Previous Topic: Modifying AddressBookXML2
Next Topic: All controls available in layout designer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:19:00 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00787 seconds