Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » Ultimate Book
Ultimate Book [message #24708] Thu, 28 January 2010 12:06 Go to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

Everybody talks about improving public relations (PR). Here is one opportunity to do something useful for U++ users and that could help to improve our PR.

UltimateBook goal is to get a book from all project documentation.

The presentation is here : http://www.ultimatepp.org/srcdoc$UltimateBook$UltimateBook$e n-us.html

index.php?t=getfile&id=2182&private=0

This is another use of Bazaar page: not just documenting a project, but being the project page Smile . I think this focus is useful to launch new initiatives with more than one person.

The project is in an initial phase: to get people and to define what to do from here.

Best regards
Koldo
  • Attachment: Cover2.JPG
    (Size: 25.22KB, Downloaded 1125 times)

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ultimate Book [message #24710 is a reply to message #24708] Thu, 28 January 2010 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
koldo wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 12:06

Hello all

Everybody talks about improving public relations (PR). Here is one opportunity to do something useful for U++ users and that could help to improve our PR.

UltimateBook goal is to get a book from all project documentation.

The presentation is here : http://www.ultimatepp.org/srcdoc$UltimateBook$UltimateBook$e n-us.html

index.php?t=getfile&id=2182&private=0

This is another use of Bazaar page: not just documenting a project, but being the project page Smile . I think this focus is useful to launch new initiatives with more than one person.

The project is in an initial phase: to get people and to define what to do from here.

Best regards
Koldo

Hello,

the book idea is excellent. However I would suggest (I am not original) to put some effort in preparing two or three screencast to show two o three very easy project. "TheIde setting and compiling the library", "Hello World", and some other example already present in reference to show how to work with designer.
The purpose of these clips (even without voice is OK) is to show how fast one can achieve the wanted purpose.
In these days the screencasts are very popular and have a big impact on the users looking for something effective but has no time to go in the details of documentation. After such a video I think the user has enough motivation to read the documentation and easily recognise its power.

Luigi
Re: Ultimate Book [message #24820 is a reply to message #24710] Sun, 31 January 2010 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Quote:

However I would suggest (I am not original) to put some effort in preparing two or three screencast to show two o three very easy project. "TheIde setting and compiling the library", "Hello World", and some other example already present in reference to show how to work with designer.
The purpose of these clips (even without voice is OK) is to show how fast one can achieve the wanted purpose.
In these days the screencasts are very popular and have a big impact on the users looking for something effective but has no time to go in the details of documentation. After such a video I think the user has enough motivation to read the documentation and easily recognise its power.

Hello Forlano

I think too this is a good idea (although unfortunately not applicable yet to books Smile ).

When possible I will try to implement it, at least in Bazaar. I say "implement" because we would have to find a way to include it in web code.

Meanwhile anybody could do the clips proposed by Forlano or others.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ultimate Book [message #24840 is a reply to message #24820] Mon, 01 February 2010 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

Potential problems that must be solved beforehand. Since my friends took up a number of articles translated into Russian, the resulting book can be intermixed in Russian and English (and perhaps even on some)

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}
Re: Ultimate Book [message #24843 is a reply to message #24840] Mon, 01 February 2010 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
sergeynikitin wrote on Mon, 01 February 2010 13:03

Potential problems that must be solved beforehand. Since my friends took up a number of articles translated into Russian, the resulting book can be intermixed in Russian and English (and perhaps even on some)

No problem Smile

In fact the book language is a parameter.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ultimate Book [message #24850 is a reply to message #24708] Mon, 01 February 2010 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
BTW, just a technical thing... because the private dev SVN is hosted on site with low upload, maybe it would be good to split the book into more T++ topics, so you will not have to upload/download the cover pic every time you edit something in it. (for example the content debate will result into many changes for sure Smile)
Re: Ultimate Book [message #24856 is a reply to message #24850] Mon, 01 February 2010 16:35 Go to previous message
Senior Veteran
mr_ped wrote on Mon, 01 February 2010 15:28

BTW, just a technical thing... because the private dev SVN is hosted on site with low upload, maybe it would be good to split the book into more T++ topics, so you will not have to upload/download the cover pic every time you edit something in it. (for example the content debate will result into many changes for sure Smile)

Hello Mr Ped

As the cover is just one page it would be changed only very few times.

However I think it is good for T++ topics (in general) not to be too long.

About U++ Book package size, from Bazaar/U++ Book web:

Quote:

To do it from the scratch would be an astonishing job. Now there are hundreds of pages already in T++ documentation. And they have to be periodically updated.

So why not have both things at the same time ?: Based in Upp technology we can have a help system and a book with only one effort.

This means that U++ Book does not have to contain almost any documents... It browses through U++ and Bazaar pages to get the docs (as uppweb does).

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: fossfor.us
Next Topic: http://cia.vc/
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:36:09 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03002 seconds