Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » U++ vs Qt
U++ vs Qt [message #27136] Sun, 27 June 2010 15:54 Go to next message
281264 is currently offline  281264
Experienced Member
I have been exploring U++ and Qt (free version of it, of course). One advantage of Qt is how well documented the tool is. In this respect, in my humble opinion, U++ needs to improve. One advantage of U++ is its BSD license that allows you to create commercial applications without having to pay a fee (is this correct?)

I see U++ a bit inclined toward SQL applications. As my plan is to build an engineering application with extensive usage of OpenGL, do you think U++ is appropriate to do it? What limitations has U++ got?

By the way, I am finding problems with the debugger: it does not work properly.

Please, what do you think about the topic?
Re: U++ vs Qt [message #27140 is a reply to message #27136] Sun, 27 June 2010 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Javier

Quote:

I have been exploring U++ and Qt (free version of it, of course). One advantage of Qt is how well documented the tool is. In this respect, in my humble opinion, U++ needs to improve. One advantage of U++ is its BSD license that allows you to create commercial applications without having to pay a fee (is this correct?)

You are right. If you develop commercial applications not open sourced, you do not need to pay any fee (including Windows Smile).

Quote:

I see U++ a bit inclined toward SQL applications. As my plan is to build an engineering application with extensive usage of OpenGL, do you think U++ is appropriate to do it? What limitations has U++ got?

I think U++ is very appropriate for engineering applications. I can credit it. And many other too. The limit is in the extent of the libraries, but we are widening it.

Quote:

For Windows MSC compiler is better supported than MinGW, specially in debugging. I advise you to install it. It is free for commercial use (free, not open).

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: U++ vs Qt [message #27143 is a reply to message #27136] Sun, 27 June 2010 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
Hi Javier,

281264 wrote on Sun, 27 June 2010 16:54

One advantage of Qt is how well documented the tool is. In this respect, in my humble opinion, U++ needs to improve.

I don't miss the documentation to often. Once you know the basics in U++ you may learn new things from code. One fast way to search for something is to use CTRL+J in TheIde, feed it with function(ality) you're looking for (try with abbreviations and synonyms Smile ). Also TheIde help have search functionality.

Quote:

U++ really rocks in SQL applications development Smile, still it have OpenGL support in GLCtrl (see OpenGL example from reference assembly). In U++ if you want to use OpenGL you have to know it's API. Qt provides a bit more advanced OpenGL support in it's QtOpenGL module.
Quote:

Please, what do you think about the topic?

The simple way of getting ride of problems created with debugger is to write code that doesn't need to be debugged Razz.
I used it only few times and that mostly on non-U++ projects. If your problems are memory leaks, then U++ provide support to find they easily. See *.log file after you build (in DEBUG mode) and run your application (ALT+L in TheIde).
If you follow U++ guidelines you won't have to use the debugger.

Best regards,
Andrei

P.S.: See comparison between U++ and Qt, it may put a spell on you and use U++ forever Razz
Re: U++ vs Qt [message #27144 is a reply to message #27136] Mon, 28 June 2010 00:48 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

281264 wrote on Sun, 27 June 2010 15:54

Bit off-topic, but: You can use LOG and DUMP* macros. They support some cool tricks of U++ automatic formating, so it is very easy and quick to use. I do most of my debugging that way. Some examples:
int i=4;
Point p(2,3);
String s="abcdefg";
Vector<int> v; v.Add(2); v.Add(14); v.Add(3);
LOG("i has value "<<i<<" s="<<s<<" and point p is "<<p);
DUMP(i);
DUMP(p);
DUMP(s);
DUMPC(v);
When you run the app in debug mode, the values are saved in log file (Alt+L). In release mode, they are ignored.

Honza
Previous Topic: what is dword?
Next Topic: Usage of "new" and "delete" in U++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:15:04 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04305 seconds