Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » Problem with IDE Installation on Windows 98
Problem with IDE Installation on Windows 98 [message #181] Wed, 30 November 2005 01:38 Go to next message
MathOnNapkins is currently offline  MathOnNapkins

(topic name edited and moved by fudadmin)
I am new to Ultimate++ and wanted to give it a try but I encountered a problem with the IDE and possibly the installer as well. The latter concern is really the crux of my question.

My system:
Athlon 3000XP
512 MB RAM
Windows 98 SE (your documentation says it supports Windows 98, don't laugh at me)
2GB of hard drive space available on a 40GB D: drive.

First this:

"The PSAPI.DLL file is linked to missing export NTDLL:DLL:NtAllocateVirtualMemory"

Then immediately afterwards:

"D:\upp\theide.exe

A device attached to the system is not functioning"

This the error I get when I try to install using upp-win-511.exe. It gets through the "storing files" section then goes to the next progress bar, and about halfway through it gives me the errors.

At first I thought it was the fact that I didn't have an NT windows OS like 2k or XP. But I do have an ntdll.dll file in my C:/windows/system/ folder.

I think it occurs during the installation b/c the installer tries to start the IDE after it's finished. I say this b/c the files do in fact seem to get copied to D:/upp/, but the IDE gives me the same exact message if I try to start it, then promptly quits.

So the question is, is this a problem with my computer, or is it a bug with U++? And if it's a bug, is it a problem with the IDE alone, or would you think I could still use the files provided without the IDE? I plan to use U++ for developing an application in VS C++ 6.0.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2005 08:32] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with IDE Installation on Windows 98 [message #182 is a reply to message #181] Wed, 30 November 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
MathOnNapkins wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 19:38

(topic name edited and moved by fudadmin)

My system:

Windows 98 SE (your documentation says it supports Windows 98, don't laugh at me)

I'm no expert but because nobody answered quickly, so...

from: http://www.arilect.com/upp/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=12&a mp;start=0&

Quote:

Normal TheIDE ships with MSC++ debugger enabled and it needs Win2000/XP. It is however possible to compile TheIDE without this support - it will support mingw only debugger then.

I will upload this "fixed" theide.exe to sf.net soon.

Other issue of course is that due to stability issues, I cannot imagine using WinME for serious development Smile

Note that this is just the problem of TheIDE (and debugger). Apps should run on anything since Win95.

MathOnNapkins wrote on Tue, 29 November 2005 19:38

"The PSAPI.DLL file is linked to missing export NTDLL:DLL:NtAllocateVirtualMemory"

This also might be useful:

Quote:

Toolhelp Functions
Win32 implementation on Windows 95/98 provides some functions that enable you to enumerate

the processes running in the system, module list, and so on. These functions are provided by

KERNEL32.DLL.

The functions are CreateToolHelp32 SnapShot, Process32First, Process32Next, and others.

These functions are not implemented under Windows NT’s implementation of KERNEL32.

The programs that use these functions implicitly will not start at all under Windows NT.

The Windows NT 4.0 SDK comes with a new DLL called PSAPI.DLL, which provides the

equivalent functionality.

The header file for this PSAPI.H is also included with the Windows NT 4.0 SDK. Windows 2000

has this toolhelp functionality built into KERNEL32.DLL.

More on this http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/356/03/2.html

[Updated on: Thu, 04 May 2006 15:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with IDE Installation on Windows 98 [message #187 is a reply to message #181] Wed, 30 November 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Sorry, that part would need better clarification. TheIDE needs NT kernel in order to make internal debugger work.

However, applications developed using U++ should work on any Win32 system.
Re: Problem with IDE Installation on Windows 98 [message #188 is a reply to message #181] Wed, 30 November 2005 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MathOnNapkins is currently offline  MathOnNapkins

Awesome. Thanks for the great info. I don't think I'll need the IDE anyways (though it looks cool I have to admit). I just wanted to be sure it had installed correctly.
Re: Problem with IDE Installation on Windows 98 [message #189 is a reply to message #188] Wed, 30 November 2005 20:48 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Actually, if you are about to do anything with U++, you likely will need TheIDE - because only TheIDE understands U++ project system.

I am uploading win98 version to sf.net right now. Check file releases later to get it. I hope it will work, however I was able just to perform basic testing... (like "it compiles and showed initial main package selection dialog" Smile
Previous Topic: New installation over old
Next Topic: Win98 version of TheIDE on the sourceforge.net
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:55:24 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02626 seconds