FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Real-time image drawing
Real-time image drawing [message #27176] Tue, 29 June 2010 18:07 Go to next message
korisk is currently offline  korisk
Hi is it possible to use U++ for creating dinamic real-time image, like visualisation of FFT of sound flow?
If yes, give me please several keywords to search instructions.
Thank you.

PS. I like the framework it seems simple, but poweerful tool.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 June 2010 20:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Real-time image drawing [message #27191 is a reply to message #27176] Wed, 30 June 2010 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

There is a possibility to use ImageBuffer class from Painter package to make images in run-time (just call Image(ImageBuffer &) constructor). It supports a number of effects, transparency (alpha-channel), antialiasing, gradients, vector & font rasterization, etc. You may draw this Image to the window, you may use Image as a label for Button, you may do with it everything you want.
Just execute examples/PainterExamples package to see what Painter is capable for.

So the general answer to your question is "YES, it is possible".
The main problem is efficiency. Rasterizing is "heavy" for CPU. So you have to make a simple etude where you paint some kind of FFT and check if you are pleased with its speed.

My opinion is while your effect resides in the small area of screen (say 128x64 pixels), using Painter will be sufficient enough.

If you want any large, full-screen effects, you should use OpenGL (DHCtrl or something like that - please look at example packages) control and draw everything using OpenGL. It is harder, but the only way to make true dynamic real-time graphics on both Windows/POSIX.
Re: Real-time image drawing [message #27195 is a reply to message #27191] Wed, 30 June 2010 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
korisk is currently offline  korisk
Thank you. I'll try.
Re: Real-time image drawing [message #27280 is a reply to message #27176] Sat, 10 July 2010 20:52 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello korisk

I share the same opinion that Mindtraveller.

If you have a sample set of data and you have problems doing the sample we can help you.

Best regards
IƱaki
Previous Topic: Controls not available in the visual designer's menu
Next Topic: guides and tutorials for a absolute beginner?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:21:04 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02331 seconds