Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » My TheIDE complaints
My TheIDE complaints [message #27509] Wed, 21 July 2010 15:00 Go to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
Hi. I've got a couple of issues with recent changes to TheIDE that are really winding me up.

FontScroll: I really, REALLY hate this feature in VS. I'm not even sure what it's for, but I only even trigger it by accident when holding down Ctrl and trying to scroll the code view. It's then very fiddly to find the text size that I prefer again. Of all of the good features of VS it seems bizarre that this is the one that gets perfectly copied.

Who on earth thought it was a good idea to bind this goddamned feature to CTRL+MouseWheel anyway? If you really want to zoom out the text to scroll (the only use I can imagine) then bind it to a key or something, not some combination that I already activate constantly! Also the default text size should be the MAXIMUM size so that it's easy to return to your prefered size when you inevitably trigger it by accident. What the hell is the point of enlarging the text? If you can't read it then you need to set a bigger default font!

Rant over. This feature badly needs a setting to disable it.

New find-replace dialogs
: The original Find/Replace dialog was non-standard and admittidly had a few things that could be improved. However, once you got used to it it was BETTER than the standard way of splitting up the dialogs.

I have now bound Replace to CTRL+F so I never even use the 'Find' dialog but I'm still missing the old 'Replace ALL' option. I don't want to have to select the whole file in order to replace all instances.

AutoComplete
: As someone who uses both VS and TheIDE having the auto-complete key as TAB in VS and K_RETURN in TheIde drives me crazy. I can't change VS but can this please be configurable in TheIDE please?

Otherwise it's lovely Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2010 15:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: My TheIDE complaints [message #27517 is a reply to message #27509] Wed, 21 July 2010 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

mrjt wrote on Wed, 21 July 2010 09:00

New find-replace dialogs
: The original Find/Replace dialog was non-standard and admittidly had a few things that could be improved. However, once you got used to it it was BETTER than the standard way of splitting up the dialogs.

I have now bound Replace to CTRL+F so I never even use the 'Find' dialog but I'm still missing the old 'Replace ALL' option. I don't want to have to select the whole file in order to replace all instances.

+1. I also preferred the old dialog. It was a way better for me.
Re: My TheIDE complaints [message #27518 is a reply to message #27509] Wed, 21 July 2010 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi mrjt,

FontScroll: I use it sometimes to get better idea about the code, just setting smaller font to see bigger area. On the other you are right that it is hard to get back the original size using the mouse wheel. What about changing the binding to Ctrl+"+", Ctrl+"-" and Ctrl+0 for default size? That is pretty much standard too, I think.

Find and Replace: If I am not mistaken, some of the features of the old style can be turned on in configuration.

Honza
Re: My TheIDE complaints [message #27545 is a reply to message #27509] Thu, 22 July 2010 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
mrjt wrote on Wed, 21 July 2010 15:00

New find-replace dialogs

Ahhh, me too I was used with old dialog and I find it ways better than new one. Please, please, would it be possible to make the choice between old and new way configurable ? Smile

Max

Re: Replace All [message #29551 is a reply to message #27509] Thu, 28 October 2010 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oan1971 is currently offline  oan1971
Promising Member
I do not know the old find / replace dialog, but I am too missing the "Replace All" feature.

After looking at the U++ sources it does not seem too hard to create it:

Adding a new member function to uppsrc/CodeEditor/FindReplace.cpp:

void CodeEditor::ReplaceAll()
{
    NextUndo();
    if(!findreplace.replacing)
        return;
    int l, h;
    if(GetSelection(l, h))
        return;
    CachePos(l);
    SetSelection(0, 0);
    const WString find = ~findreplace.find;
    const bool wholeword = findreplace.wholeword;
    const bool ignorecase = findreplace.ignorecase;
    const bool wildcards = findreplace.wildcards;
    for(;;) {
        if(!Find(false, find, wholeword, ignorecase, wildcards, true))
            break;
        int hh, ll;
        GetSelection(ll, hh);
        int d = Paste(GetReplaceText(~findreplace.replace, wildcards)) - (hh - ll);
        if (hh <= l)
            l = l + d;
        else if (ll < l)
            l = min(l, hh + d);
    }
    SetSelection(l, l);
    Refresh();
}

Adding a new "Replace All" button to the find / replace dialog in uppsrc/CodeEditor/CodeEditor.lay:

LAYOUT(IDEFindReplaceLayout, 408, 118)
	ITEM(Label, dv___0, SetLabel(t_("Find:")).LeftPosZ(8, 46).TopPosZ(4, 19))
	ITEM(WithDropChoice<EditString>, find, HSizePosZ(54, 8).TopPosZ(4, 19))
	ITEM(Label, replace_lbl, SetLabel(t_("Replace:")).LeftPosZ(8, 46).TopPosZ(28, 19))
	ITEM(WithDropChoice<EditString>, replace, HSizePosZ(54, 8).TopPosZ(28, 19))
	ITEM(Option, wholeword, SetLabel(t_("&Whole word")).LeftPosZ(8, 76).BottomPosZ(40, 18))
	ITEM(Option, ignorecase, SetLabel(t_("&Ignore case")).LeftPosZ(100, 76).BottomPosZ(40, 18))
	ITEM(Option, wildcards, SetLabel(t_("Wild&cards")).LeftPosZ(192, 68).BottomPosZ(40, 18))
	ITEM(Button, amend, SetLabel(t_("R&eplace")).LeftPosZ(8, 68).BottomPosZ(6, 24))
	ITEM(Button, amendall, SetLabel(t_("Replace &All")).LeftPosZ(80, 68).BottomPosZ(6, 24))
	ITEM(Button, findback, SetLabel(t_("Find Previous")).RightPosZ(160, 80).BottomPosZ(6, 24))
	ITEM(Button, ok, SetLabel(t_("Find Next")).RightPosZ(80, 76).BottomPosZ(6, 24))
	ITEM(Button, cancel, SetLabel(t_("Cancel")).RightPosZ(8, 64).BottomPosZ(6, 24))
END_LAYOUT

Setting up the new button in uppsrc/CodeEditor/FindReplace.cpp:

Adding
amendall.Show(replacing);
to FindReplaceDlg::Setup just after
amend.Show(replacing);
and
findreplace.amendall.Hide();
to CodeEditor::FindReplace after
findreplace.amend.Hide();

Setting up the new function in uppsrc/CodeEditor/CodeEditor.h:

Adding
void   ReplaceAll();
to class CodeEditor just after
void   Replace();

Wiring the new button in uppsrc/CodeEditor/CodeEditor.cpp:

Adding
findreplace.amendall <<= THISBACK(ReplaceAll);
to CodeEditor::CodeEditor just after
findreplace.amendall <<= THISBACK(ReplaceAll);

The attached zip contains the changed files from uppsrc/CodeEditor (from release 2791).

I am not sure I got the CachePos call right. But it seems to work quite well for me.

Oliver

910eb20c14e026a87ffb2b0d38b9ddb7
Re: My TheIDE complaints [message #30039 is a reply to message #27517] Sat, 04 December 2010 20:49 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Wed, 21 July 2010 13:07

mrjt wrote on Wed, 21 July 2010 09:00

New find-replace dialogs

+1. I also preferred the old dialog. It was a way better for me.

Well, thank you. I liked it more too. But I had a lot of users insisting about it being illogical etc.. So I gave it up....

Anyway, if you are willing to add configuration switches, you have my FULL support. I think mrjt, unodgs, dolik.rce and mdelfede, you are all competent enough to do it right Smile

And TheIDE sources are open for you...
Previous Topic: Compiling and linking problems
Next Topic: TheIDE hangs on "Show svn history of file"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:35:40 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01150 seconds