Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » theide does not show content of external headers
theide does not show content of external headers [message #28492] Fri, 03 September 2010 11:11 Go to next message
slashmais is currently offline  slashmais
Promising Member
I'm creating some libraries with header (.h) files that I want to use in different projects.

I place the libs and headers each into global directories which I then point to in the normal way:
[Setup|Build methods]->INCLUDE directories
[Setup|Build methods]->LIB directories
and I add the specific library names to:
[Project|Package organizer]->(right-click)-New libraries ..

I the use #include "header-file-name.h" in my new project's source.

Everything compiles and executes fine.

The problem:
Theide does not show show the methods and objects when I reference them in my code. E.g.: if I have a class, say 'TestClass' with a public function, say 'TestFunc()' defined in "header-file-name.h",
and then create an instance in my new source 'TestClass tc;' then I would expect that when I type 'tc. ' that theide should list the public methods and attributes, in this case 'TestFunc()'.
It does not do so.
How can I fix this?

PS. I do not want to copy the headers into my new package directories - kind of defeats the purpose of having them centrally available. Please help.
Re: theide does not show content of external headers [message #28493 is a reply to message #28492] Fri, 03 September 2010 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Slashmais,

Theide/Assist++ scans only the files in packages, to keep things fast. Scanning all the included files would take too long.

But there is a simple workaround, I use it sometimes too. Just create a dummy package with all the headers (in their global directory, use Special > Insert any files) and add this package to your project. If there are no .c/.cpp files, nothing from this package will be compiled, but the Assist++ will scan the headers and will be aware of their contents Wink

Best regards,
Honza

[Updated on: Fri, 03 September 2010 11:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: theide does not show content of external headers [message #28494 is a reply to message #28493] Fri, 03 September 2010 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slashmais is currently offline  slashmais
Promising Member
Thanks for your idea - I did that - but it is still only a work-around, same like copying the headers into the new package directory.

There should be a way to (either selectively or globally) force theide to process headers, I don't mind waiting a bit.
Maybe an option somewhere to tell it to process the headers in a selected directory?
Re: theide does not show content of external headers [message #28496 is a reply to message #28494] Fri, 03 September 2010 12:26 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

It is better than copying the sources all around, since once you have the dummy package, you can use it in all your projects. But yes, it is only workaround.

I don't know exact numbers about the time/memory consumption of the full parsing, but Mirek tried it some time ago and decided not to use it. But it might be possible to make it work on selected files/directories. I must confess that having the standard library functions in Assist++ would help me a lot...

I wonder what do the main developers think about this?

honza
Previous Topic: TheIDE crash when compile with "All Shared" option
Next Topic: Exported makefiles don't treat WIN32 flag correctly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:48:36 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01364 seconds