Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator"
Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28759] Wed, 15 September 2010 20:28 Go to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

Big Article about U++ in Russian magazine "System Administrator"
http://www.nixp.ru/news/Open-Source-068-%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%D 1%8B%D0%B9-%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%BF%D1%83%D1%81%D0%BA-%D1%8D%D0%BB %D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%82%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BE -%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F.html (author Semen Esilevsky - yesint4 at yahoo.com)

(or html link http://osa.samag.ru/info/OpenSource068.zip )
Unfortunately only in Russian.

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}

[Updated on: Sat, 18 September 2010 21:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28760 is a reply to message #28759] Wed, 15 September 2010 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
And does it say anything nice about U++? Any negative remarks? Maybe some of our Russian speaking members will be kind enough to give us a short summary?
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28762 is a reply to message #28760] Wed, 15 September 2010 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

A bit later tonight.

{
}
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28764 is a reply to message #28762] Wed, 15 September 2010 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

First few words in article (I try to translate tonight):
Non standard GUI-Toolkits. Part 1: Introduction to Ultimate++

When you create a GUI-applications for Linux toolkit choice plays a primary role. It was from him will depend not only the complexity of development, but the portability of the program, its appearance and the possibility of further development. For definiteness, assume that a program written in C++, because consideration of bindings for different languages - a single broad topic. In fact, the choice boils down to the three most famous and popular toolkits: Qt, GTK and wxWidgets. For smaller "light" program is sometimes using FLTK. Unfortunately, each of these "three pillars" has its own specific drawbacks, so an alternative non-standard GUI-Toolkits continue to cause concern.

Non-standard solutions are interesting or remarkable appearance of widgets, or original programming techniques, which save development time and support programs. To be competitive, they must be cross-platform, to support Unicode and have an integrated RAD-development environment, or at least a visual editor forms.

In this article the toolkit Ultimate. Appearance its widgets unremarkable (use "native" widgets for each platform), but used the programming techniques are fundamentally different from all other toolkits.
All the components of U++ are very specific and quite literally do not look like anything else. This applies to the syntax, which is sometimes difficult to know with as such (although this is absolutely standard C++ without any additions, in Qt), and frankly bizarre IDE.
Do not expect U++ intuitive - the trivial things you need, often for a long time "digging" in the documentation and forums. "The barrier of entry in U++ is high, but the effort invested then quickly pay off.

To be continued Razz

{
}

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2010 22:18]

Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28765 is a reply to message #28764] Thu, 16 September 2010 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

(continuation)
Non standard GUI-Toolkits. Part 1: Introduction to Ultimate++

Review U++
Ultimate (http://www.ultimatepp.org), known as U++ and UPP, is positioned not only as a GUI-toolkit, but as a holistic infrastructure (framework) for rapid development of cross-platform applications in C++. U is distributed on a free BSD license and is free for both the public and for commercial use. Code GUI-applications written using U++ extremely laconic, and reminds code "very high" level, characteristic of scripting languages. This is achieved by the widespread use contemporary possibilities with the internal structure U++. The official site has an impressive comparison of identical programs written in the U++, Qt, wxWidgets, and Java (http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$comparison$en-us.html). In all cases, the code U++ is much shorter and clearer, even though it looks strange.

Infrastructure U++ is designed so that, ideally, the programmer does not need third-party libraries or even the STL and Boost - everything from container and finishing work with XML and SQL, is by itself U++. This "global invention Bike» U++ like Qt. U++ includes several components:

• A set of standard libraries:
    • Core - strings, date and time, the library containers NTL (Analog STL with a slightly different behavior and allegedly faster), callbacks, multithreading, XML, etc.
    • Draw - canvas for raster graphics.
    • CtrlCore - core GUI-applications that provides a mapping of windows, transfer events, processing logical coordinates, etc.
    • CtrlLib - widget library.
    • RichText - complicated formatted text import / export to RTF and HTML.
    • SQL - functions for working with SQL-queries and interfaces to the database SQLite3, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL, Oracle.
    • Esc - Embedded interpreter specific scripting language.
    • Web - work with the network and the Internet.
  • System used to control compilation BLITZ-build.
  • A complete integrated development environment TheIDE with a visual layout editor widgets.
  • System Documentation Topic++.
  • System analysis, autocompletion, and code optimization Assist++.

All these components are designed to be used individually and will not work. In addition, the organization of code in the form of "packages" in the U++ is so specific that development using U++ automatically implies the exclusive use of "native" IDE. Given the specificity TheIDE, it can be considered sufficiently serious disadvantage.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2814&private=0

U++ running on Linux and Windows and now make port for MacOS X. Programs written for one platform, no changes are compiled on the other.

To be continued Razz
  • Attachment: upp.png
    (Size: 93.12KB, Downloaded 1446 times)

{
}
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28766 is a reply to message #28765] Thu, 16 September 2010 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

The article is long enough (more precisely a series of articles about programming in U++) If someone interesting, I will continue to translate. This work takes some time. That's what I have already sent - around 20 per cent of the first article.

{
}
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28769 is a reply to message #28766] Thu, 16 September 2010 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Thank you!

I think you can leave it at this. I'll use Google translate for the rest. Not as good as your translation, but it it readable.
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28773 is a reply to message #28769] Thu, 16 September 2010 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

Google help me too Embarassed

{
}
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28774 is a reply to message #28773] Thu, 16 September 2010 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

Maybe I should refer to the author, that he gave the article to be published on the site?

{
}
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28782 is a reply to message #28774] Thu, 16 September 2010 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
It is very interesting that the author has grasped some of the finer elements of U++ to such a measure that he can see and appreciate the value offered by the library, yet he can't seem to grasp the peculiarities of TheIDE. Paraphrasing him: "it seems that the authors of TheIDE do not care about their program being intuitive".
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28793 is a reply to message #28782] Fri, 17 September 2010 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yesint is currently offline  yesint
Promising Member
Dear All,
I'm the author of the mentioned article in the "Open Source" online magazine. It is very pleasing to see that U++ community is interested in such reviews.

This article reflects my personal (still very limited) experience with U++, but I believe that it also represents the feelings of the typical programmer familiar with traditional IDEs and toolkits, who tried U++ for the first time.
I have found the library really exciting, however TheIDE is really somewhat cryptic for a beginner.

There will be at least two more parts of the article. The second part is focused on the widget communication, THISBACKs, layouts and NTL. I'm not sure what to include into the third part and I'll appreciate your suggestions!

Finally, if you think that this article could be useful and want to publish it on the site I can help with translation. As far as I remember the articles from the "Open Source" could be used after 2 weeks from their appearance in the magazine with the corresponding references.

Regards,
Semen Yesylevskyy
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28798 is a reply to message #28793] Fri, 17 September 2010 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently online  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Semen

Your work is already linked here Smile.

http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$extlinks$en-us.html

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28804 is a reply to message #28798] Fri, 17 September 2010 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

Koldo, a man offers to put his articke in his own translation to our website. I think this article will be very useful for beginners. I also think that we need more people who can write good articles.

Let's decide where to put the article on the site. May be needed to create a section "Articles about the environment"

Semen, if you can provide your article in English and Russian languages, we will be glad to help put it on the site.

{
}

[Updated on: Fri, 17 September 2010 12:38]

Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28812 is a reply to message #28804] Fri, 17 September 2010 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently online  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Sergey

Before having a personal opinion I would like to read the article.

Meanwhile I have included links in the web.

If Semen could include it in English it could be great.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28822 is a reply to message #28782] Sat, 18 September 2010 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Thu, 16 September 2010 08:26

yet he can't seem to grasp the peculiarities of TheIDE. Paraphrasing him: "it seems that the authors of TheIDE do not care about their program being intuitive".

Ah, come on. We all know above is true for newcomers... Smile
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28823 is a reply to message #28822] Sat, 18 September 2010 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Sorry for off-topic, but IMHO good detailed description of the quirks of TheIDE is deadly needed. For example I wrote in my article that I still can't understand the logic of the navigation panel - its top part is a complete mystery for me and probably for any newcomer...
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28831 is a reply to message #28823] Sat, 18 September 2010 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

yesint wrote on Sat, 18 September 2010 12:54

Sorry for off-topic, but IMHO good detailed description of the quirks of TheIDE is deadly needed. For example I wrote in my article that I still can't understand the logic of the navigation panel - its top part is a complete mystery for me and probably for any newcomer...

Semen, if you can send the article in English. I think your opinions expressed in this article will be interesting to readers of the forum. In addition users of the site asking your permission to translate articles into other languages. I'd add that a good idea to also Russian version.

{
}

[Updated on: Sat, 18 September 2010 21:19]

Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28902 is a reply to message #28831] Sat, 25 September 2010 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

Next part of Article about U++ By Semen Esilevsky http://osa.samag.ru/info/OpenSource069.zip

{
}
Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28905 is a reply to message #28902] Sat, 25 September 2010 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Small factual comment (to author, which seem to be visiting here :):

Quote:

Мне так и не удалось найти анало-
гов многих полезных алгоритмов STL (например, unique). Кроме
того, алгоритмы работают с контейнерами как с целым, а пере-
дать алгоритму диапазон элементов невозможно. Справедли-
вости ради нужно сказать, что для подавляющего большинст-
ва задач эти ограничения несущественны, но все же NTL дале-
ко не так полна и продумана, как STL.

Well, first, you can actually apply STL algorithms to NTL containers without issues, as long as container elements satisfy STL requirements as NTL containers define iterators and Begin/End (not that I would ever used STL algorithm - but its there Smile

Also, it IS possible to apply many algorithms to parts of countainers. Quite often, basic version is defined in terms of iterators, then there is a 'utility' overload that takes container as whole.

Other than that, excellent article. It should be translated and reposted in english somewhere - say Codeproject?

[Updated on: Sat, 25 September 2010 15:20]

Re: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator" [message #28921 is a reply to message #28831] Mon, 27 September 2010 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Promising Member
Thank you for the comments!
I'm translating the articles to English now (it goes a bit slow, but the first one will be finished soon). When it is ready I'll post it here.
There will be two more parts - third one about SQL programming and the last one about graphics and something else Smile
I'll translate them all at some point.

sergeynikitin wrote on Sat, 18 September 2010 21:09

In addition users of the site asking your permission to translate articles into other languages.

Sure, I give my permission. Just keep the name of original author and the link to original.

Previous Topic: PR!
Next Topic: TheIDE in Rolling Release
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:10:19 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02261 seconds