Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » U++ users applications in progress and useful code snippets, including reference examples! » OptionImage ctrl: how to make it better...
Re: OptionImage ctrl: how to make it better... [message #2487 is a reply to message #2486] Fri, 14 April 2006 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I did check my test projects, and I did use "Insert any file" too to add files to my package.

Mirek: what's the real difference between those two?
I think (from what I see) they both work in the same way: add the file to the package. The only difference is that the first one makes the path relative, the second one absolute.
But both ways will make any added .cpp file to compile when I hit "Build", so it looks that "any file" belongs to main package anyway.

I think the context menu naming is somewhat confusing in such case (if that's the only difference).

Actually I would prefer single "Insert file" menu in such case, with option "absolute path ON/OFF", which would be set to OFF by default.

Or maybe "Insert any file" should switch the selection from package to "prj-aux" or what's appropriate? And to not add such file to build process (as I believe only package files should be involved in the building process of package).

I'm still a bit confused by packages (I understand them as "libraries" in C terminology), so maybe I don't understand it correctly, but I think TheIDE is right now a bit confusing with those 2x "Insert file". (And the "any file" one was easier to find for me, I never realised there was the package one on the first line (ignored it always) until I read this topic)
Re: OptionImage ctrl: how to make it better... [message #2488 is a reply to message #2487] Fri, 14 April 2006 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Fri, 14 April 2006 03:01

I did check my test projects, and I did use "Insert any file" too to add files to my package.

Mirek: what's the real difference between those two?
I think (from what I see) they both work in the same way: add the file to the package. The only difference is that the first one makes the path relative, the second one absolute.
But both ways will make any added .cpp file to compile when I hit "Build", so it looks that "any file" belongs to main package anyway.

I think the context menu naming is somewhat confusing in such case (if that's the only difference).

Actually I would prefer single "Insert file" menu in such case, with option "absolute path ON/OFF", which would be set to OFF by default.

Or maybe "Insert any file" should switch the selection from package to "prj-aux" or what's appropriate? And to not add such file to build process (as I believe only package files should be involved in the building process of package).

I'm still a bit confused by packages (I understand them as "libraries" in C terminology), so maybe I don't understand it correctly, but I think TheIDE is right now a bit confusing with those 2x "Insert file". (And the "any file" one was easier to find for me, I never realised there was the package one on the first line (ignored it always) until I read this topic)

Sorry about confusion. I guess this is classical case where you have to choose between stronger and easier to use feature set.

It is true that "Insert any file.." for regular package is (should be..) very seldom used, however it can have advantages sometimes (e.g. experimenting with 3rd party code).

Mirek
Re: OptionImage ctrl: how to make it better... [message #2498 is a reply to message #2485] Fri, 14 April 2006 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Fri, 14 April 2006 07:29

Ok, your new version is here:

Aris,

I can't recognize the application. It is a new one and of course much better! Thanks a lot Very Happy .
I've studied it and I've some questions. But I'll post them after I finished a first draft of the tutorial. It deal with the Designer and has a lot of picture to guide step by step a beginner. I struggled with it several hours the first time for lack of information and I was going away riskying to loose a treasure. I hope to finish it quickly.

Luigi
Re: OptionImage ctrl: how to make it better... [message #2499 is a reply to message #2498] Fri, 14 April 2006 20:45 Go to previous message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
forlano wrote on Fri, 14 April 2006 17:46

fudadmin wrote on Fri, 14 April 2006 07:29

Ok, your new version is here:

Aris,

I can't recognize the application. It is a new one and of course much better! Thanks a lot Very Happy .
I've studied it and I've some questions. But I'll post them after I finished a first draft of the tutorial. It deal with the Designer and has a lot of picture to guide step by step a beginner. I struggled with it several hours the first time for lack of information and I was going away riskying to loose a treasure. I hope to finish it quickly.

Luigi

Thanks for your appreciation! Smile
More things that I've noticed.
Your code coloring looked messy because of not using tab indents. You should switch them on (to see) in Setup... Editor "Show tabs"...
You were not using Ctrl_Shift_up and down to make order with you package files? And also, *.upp file separators are a very good thing...
Commented but usefull code snippets it is usefull to keep in notes.txt in the package or a separate snippets.txt or etc. to have them "under hand" but not to take most of the compiled files lines... or ...
With Ctrl_Enter you can open Topic++ (I created one for you...) and start a nice docs of your nice app...
Waiting for your next task Smile
Aris
Previous Topic: Different color for three state option button
Next Topic: How to create a non modal dialog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:54:57 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00947 seconds