Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Has MeeGo better potential than Android for U++?
Has MeeGo better potential than Android for U++? [message #30843] Mon, 24 January 2011 23:02 Go to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
I think, Intel, Nokia and now looks like AMD too, will be serious about MeeGo.
some good looking 1.1 release
and
screenshots
made with Qt, I reckon...

They even offer courses for developers, in case one needs.

and because it's not oracle-java problematic (programming and patents meaning) , I think, it's has better potencial for U++ than Android.
And if Nokia had more brain (and haven't been spending billions for Qt Wink ) it could be a serious competitor to iOs, Android and Win7.
I also predict, that triple (even multi) boot small devices (including phones) with touch (hint... Smile ) and voice recognition will start flooding to the market after this summer or so. E.g what is the point to HTC or Nokia make very similar devices for 2 or 3 different OS'es?
Anyway, somehow I believe, that one day, U++ will be used on all of those devices...

Re: Has MeeGo better potential than Android for U++? [message #30844 is a reply to message #30843] Tue, 25 January 2011 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 17:02

I think, Intel, Nokia and now looks like AMD too, will be serious about MeeGo.

After spending some while with Android tablet, the only think I have to say: Well, it would be nice.

I wish they were using Ubuntu instead..
Re: Has MeeGo better potential than Android for U++? [message #30849 is a reply to message #30843] Tue, 25 January 2011 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I still shrug at the idea of Java VM used for everything in embedded device. I know pure java with JIT can be quite close to compiled C/C++, but quite close can be IMO notable difference on embedded machines. Even if they already have RAM in hundreds of MBs.

Then there's the sun=>Oracle vs Google issue.

And finally Android is supposedly open, yet if you buy such device, you may have difficult time to simply recompile the ROM and upload your own (depends on manufacturer). And kernel of Android is based upon linux kernel, but last time I read something about it, it was total fork leaving in different direction, so they will have hard to catch up to latest developments in vanilla linux. (although I think there was some talking about to push patches back to upstream and be more in sync?)

So somehow I don't believe into Android. (although never truly tampered with one, so this is just old man babbling Smile )

Anyway, on the paper the MeeGo looks much more promising to me. But let's see first what are the actual devices and actual policy for custom recompiled firmware images and how vanilla they remain over time.
Re: Has MeeGo better potential than Android for U++? [message #31128 is a reply to message #30849] Mon, 07 February 2011 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
i recently had some meego live image on a stick, it looks really nice. i'd be definitely esier to port upp to meego, and should be considered as well. nevertheless, android has a too huge footprint in market now, that google would take it away because of any sueing issue. they'd rather pay the bills.. so this should not be the reason to place the desicions.

@mirek: how to interpret the statement? nice or less nice your experience with android tablet?

consider, having other things then honeycomb should not be used for tablet, it's the manufacturers' impatience, placing froyo on tablets..so dont be disapointed. more is coming.

2011 is designated as the 'android explosion', following market analysis

[Updated on: Mon, 07 February 2011 09:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Has MeeGo better potential than Android for U++? [message #31129 is a reply to message #31128] Mon, 07 February 2011 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
apropos:
seems as if NOKIA is going to turn its back to maemo (meego parent) and switch to M$ win phone 7..the market pressure is noticably too high.. this would change the picture of parket presence of meego again.
Re: Has MeeGo better potential than Android for U++? [message #31200 is a reply to message #31129] Sun, 13 February 2011 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

It seems it is the end for MeeGo. MeeGo chief has been fired. HP and Google are looking for MeeGo engineers. See here.

index.php?t=getfile&id=3093&private=0
  • Attachment: dib.png
    (Size: 618.02KB, Downloaded 599 times)

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Has MeeGo better potential than Android for U++? [message #31203 is a reply to message #31200] Mon, 14 February 2011 00:07 Go to previous message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
I still think MeeGo has a potential for U++. The current situation is a PR opportunity. I think it would useful for u++ if some u++ enthusiasts showed their presence on MeeGo forums. Also, time from time, I post on our forums what I see not only interesting but what has some incorporated sense for the search engines...

On the topic note, even without a proper Nokia support Meego will not die just yet. It's too late and too early. Windows 7 phone is a fire extinguisher for Nokia in this market share losing heat. It might work. If not, MeeGo might be an escape route.

from nokia blog:
Quote:

Under the new strategy, MeeGo becomes an open-source, mobile operating system project.
MeeGo will place increased emphasis on longer-term market exploration of next-generation devices, platforms and user experiences.
Nokia still plans to ship a MeeGo-related product later this year.

Previous Topic: Leaving for one week to do some skiing
Next Topic: A MeeGo alternative: Samsung Linux Platform
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:13:48 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01694 seconds