Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Draw, Display, Images, Bitmaps, Icons » Painter bug?
Painter bug? [message #31532] Fri, 11 March 2011 12:51 Go to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

painter
	.Move(-.5*width2, h1)
	.Line(-.5*width1, 0)
	.Line( .5*width1, 0)
	.Line( .5*width2, h1)
	.Line(-.5*width2, h1)
	.Fill(-.25*width2, h1, COLOR_HILIGHT, -.15*width2, .4*h1, .3*width2, COLOR_COMMON)
;
painter
	.Rectangle(-.5*width2,h1,width2,length2)
	.ColorStop(0.10, COLOR_COMMON)
	.ColorStop(0.25, COLOR_HILIGHT)
	.ColorStop(0.55, COLOR_COMMON)
	.Fill(-.5*width2, 0., COLOR_COMMON, .5*width2, 0., COLOR_COMMON)
;

gives an empty line between 1st and 2nd figures:

index.php?t=getfile&id=3131&private=0

U++: svn latest
  • Attachment: silo.png
    (Size: 22.88KB, Downloaded 637 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 11 March 2011 12:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Painter bug? [message #31535 is a reply to message #31532] Fri, 11 March 2011 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Pavel

It looks almost as if the h1 gets truncated or rounded to int somewhere in the process, because the line is visible only when h1 has some non-zero decimal part and the width of the gap is biggest for xy.5.

One other possible cause could lie in the subpixel accuracy rendering and related anti-aliasing. Unfortunately, from the quick look I had at it I couldn't figure where exactly the problem is...

Also I don't have much idea about Painter internals, so I don't know exactly where to look Smile Perhaps Mirek will know better...

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Painter bug? [message #31536 is a reply to message #31532] Sat, 12 March 2011 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Could you please provide values for variables? Or more complete example?

Somehow I am unable to reproduce the problem...

Mirek
Re: Painter bug? [message #31537 is a reply to message #31536] Sat, 12 March 2011 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Sat, 12 March 2011 08:45

Could you please provide values for variables? Or more complete example?

Somehow I am unable to reproduce the problem...

Mirek

I got the gap for values
	double width2=200;
	double width1=100;
	double h1=50.5;
	double length2=100;
Actually only thing necessary to reproduce is h1, the rest doesn't influence it at all. If you set h1=50, no space is visible, for h1=50.5 it is the widest and if you increase it further, it gradually disappears for h1=51...

Honza
Re: Painter bug? [message #31538 is a reply to message #31532] Sat, 12 March 2011 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

PS: It happens for antialiased and subpixel settings. With NOAA no gap is visible.
Re: Painter bug? [message #31540 is a reply to message #31538] Sat, 12 March 2011 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I am afraid this is unavoidable problem caused by antialiasing and subpixel accuracy... (and this would appear in most similiar systems. My guess is if you would put something like this to .pdf or .svg, you would get artifact as well).

Think:

At the beggining there is a white color of background - 255,255,255. Now the y is "half" of pixel, so we have to mix the color of polygon with this white with "alpha" 0.5. So if the color is black, there will now be 127, 127, 127 in canvas.

Ok, then paint another polygon, again whe have "half" of pixel, say the color is black, so we again have to apply it with "alpha" 0.5. Result: 64, 64, 64... (but should have been 0,0,0)

So it is a 'feature', not a bug. You have to account for it.

More on this e.g. here (AGG related):

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.agg/2359/focus=2 367

Mirek
Re: Painter bug? [message #31548 is a reply to message #31540] Sat, 12 March 2011 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Thank you for the replies. The problem is clear now.
Currently I see the only solution, and I'm not really shure you want it. Smile
Anyway. We could use temporary surface which stores color + alpha for a sequence of operations. On writing a pixel, it's color is calculated in usual way, but alpha is added to the current alpha value. E.g. we will have alpha = 256 in previous Mirek's example. Rendering this temporary surface to actual image will give solid black color which is absolutely right result.
This could look like this:
painter
    .BeginComplex()
    ./*draw polygon 1*/
    ./*fill polygon 1*/
    ./*draw polygon 2*/
    ./*fill polygon 2*/
    ./*draw polygon 3*/
    ./*fill polygon 3*/
    .EndComplex()
;

UPDATE: OK, here is quick and dirty "back-end" solution. Let's imagine we draw polygons in scaled coordinates:
painter.Scale(scale);
To avoid polygon stitching you may simply move polygon adjacent vertices with 0.5/scale towards neighbouring polygon, i.e.
painter.Move(x[i]+.5/scale,y[i]);
It moves polygon vertex to the next physical pixel if it's position is actually between pixels.
This technique seems like eliminating visual artifacts with U++ rendering of adjacent polygons.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 March 2011 22:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Painter bug? [message #31549 is a reply to message #31548] Sat, 12 March 2011 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Sat, 12 March 2011 16:14

This technique seems like eliminating visual artifacts with U++ rendering of adjacent polygons.

Yep. I guess this is also what AGG author suggests by "dilating"...

BTW, the first time I have met this issue is a couple of years back when there was not even Painter in U++.

The problem was with "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" (pdf like format) output from U++, see here:

http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=194 08&&srch=Tom1+print#msg_19408

it is exactly the same issue, this time in Windows Smile

Mirek
Re: Painter bug? [message #31551 is a reply to message #31548] Sun, 13 March 2011 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

Mindtraveller wrote on Sat, 12 March 2011 23:14

Thank you for the replies. The problem is clear now.
Currently I see the only solution, and I'm not really shure you want it. Smile
Anyway. We could use temporary surface which stores color + alpha for a sequence of operations. On writing a pixel, it's color is calculated in usual way, but alpha is added to the current alpha value. E.g. we will have alpha = 256 in previous Mirek's example. Rendering this temporary surface to actual image will give solid black color which is absolutely right result.
This could look like this:
painter
    .BeginComplex()
    ./*draw polygon 1*/
    ./*fill polygon 1*/
    ./*draw polygon 2*/
    ./*fill polygon 2*/
    ./*draw polygon 3*/
    ./*fill polygon 3*/
    .EndComplex()
;

Pavel, What about just round your values and draw with integers coordinates for do not use sub-pixel?
Re: Painter bug? [message #31553 is a reply to message #31551] Sun, 13 March 2011 18:59 Go to previous message
Experienced Contributor

The problem is scale factor here. I've mantioned above that with dynamic scale factor vertex can't be guaranteed to be aligned to physical pixels.
Previous Topic: How does CtrlCore Image::Data::PaintImp work?
Next Topic: Loading 16 bits per channel Tiff files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:56:20 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01317 seconds