Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Layout (Forms) Designer » Designer: Tutorial for beginners
icon1.gif  Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #1818] Mon, 20 March 2006 22:42 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,

In the last week I tried several GUI and then removed all of them after some hours for the same reasons: too much code (and complex) to realize very silly things.
Then I met the Ultimate++ site and I was attracted by its very nice and powerful widgets. In order to use it I'm ready to start learning C++ that I do not master (I program in C and currently I use a very easy GUI in C with dev-cpp).

I played with TheIDE and unfortunatly I lost many hours to find how to run the designer and then where to click to let appear some thing. I found the tip in the forum only after the reading of dozens of threads while I was unable to found any useful information in the documentation (save the file with the .lay extension). From other side the picture of TheIDE in the site shows its designer feature. For a moment I thought that my IDE was bugged and then I was deinstalling everything.

As a beginner that met some problem (maybe some others could have the same) please let me suggest to the developers to make much more clear the layout feature of the IDE with a very minimal tutorial, although complete, about it (just 2 pushbutton realised with the designer and how to assembly all the files step by step). A beginner as me look for this very stupid example, especially if he has no experience in C++.

Thank you very much for your attention,
Luigi

Edit: This topic was merged.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 April 2006 03:37] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Layout designer help [message #1819 is a reply to message #1818] Mon, 20 March 2006 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Mon, 20 March 2006 16:42

Hello,

In the last week I tried several GUI and then removed all of them after some hours for the same reasons: too much code (and complex) to realize very silly things.
Then I met the Ultimate++ site and I was attracted by its very nice and powerful widgets. In order to use it I'm ready to start learning C++ that I do not master (I program in C and currently I use a very easy GUI in C with dev-cpp).

I played with TheIDE and unfortunatly I lost many hours to find how to run the designer and then where to click to let appear some thing. I found the tip in the forum only after the reading of dozens of threads while I was unable to found any useful information in the documentation (save the file with the .lay extension). From other side the picture of TheIDE in the site shows its designer feature. For a moment I thought that my IDE was bugged and then I was deinstalling everything.

As a beginner that met some problem (maybe some others could have the same) please let me suggest to the developers to make much more clear the layout feature of the IDE with a very minimal tutorial, although complete, about it (just 2 pushbutton realised with the designer and how to assembly all the files step by step). A beginner as me look for this very stupid example, especially if he has no experience in C++.

Thank you very much for your attention,
Luigi

Sorry for confusion. Adding to FAQ right now...

GUI tutorial is already in progress and there definitely will be such chapter:

http://upp.sourceforge.net/srcdoc$CtrlLib$Tutorial$en-us.htm l

Mirek
Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #2514 is a reply to message #1818] Sun, 16 April 2006 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I've prepared a little tutorial that perhaps could be useful to who begin with U++. The English I have used I'm aware is not the best (corrections are very appreciated). If somebody believes the tutorial is useful he can modify it and do with it what he wants without my permission.

Luigi

PS: I hope this is the correct place where to post this tutorial, otherwise I've spoiled once more the Aris' time Smile

PPS: Happy Easter!

Edit by fudadmin: P.S. This is the start of second merged topic. After less than one month with Ultimate++ Luigi has written a tutorial himself. Thank you!!!
  • Attachment: tutdes.rar
    (Size: 277.85KB, Downloaded 5013 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 17 April 2006 03:33] by Moderator

Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #2515 is a reply to message #2514] Sun, 16 April 2006 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
forlano wrote on Sun, 16 April 2006 20:47

Hello,

I've prepared a little tutorial that perhaps could be useful to who begin with U++. The English I have used I'm aware is not the best (corrections are very appreciated). If somebody believes the tutorial is useful he can modify it and do with it what he wants without my permission.

Luigi

PS: I hope this is the correct place where to post this tutorial, otherwise I've spoiled once more the Aris' time Smile

That demonstrates a whole lot of useful things.
Nice work Luigi! Smile

(I don't see many "English" problems.)

Graeme
Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #2520 is a reply to message #2515] Sun, 16 April 2006 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Quote:

Nice work Luigi! Smile

Graeme

Thank you Graeme,

just one note. In the first post of course I meant that anybody can do what he wants with the tutorial without "to ask" my permission.
Luigi
Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #2522 is a reply to message #2515] Sun, 16 April 2006 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
gprentice wrote on Sun, 16 April 2006 10:19

forlano wrote on Sun, 16 April 2006 20:47

Hello,

Luigi

Nice work Luigi! Smile

Graeme

To both of you.

First of all, this demonstrates how to use Ultimate++ templates and the Designer in hard and not effective ways... Laughing
Count all the steps required. And then try:
1. start with "CtrlLib application with main window" with the default option...
2. And after you insert any widget (e.g Button) on the layout you don't need to use Ctrl_T to assign names - you can do that by entering your name next to the widget type...
3. Run it.

But in general Luigi's case just shows that new users are not that clever that could use Ultimate++ effectively with the current state of documentation, examples and... templates, and maybe macros.
And this, Luigi's, kind of tutorials are needed or even better with something like Macromedia's Flash (I had thinking how to make similar with U++... Smile )

On the other hand, I'm very happy that Luigi's response to my lessons are paying off... And I think, no tutorials (nor examples) can substitute the effectiveness of a good interactive mentoring. The latter two should grow up "hand in hand". That means, we need more tutorials and more people who can teach (and learn Smile online with "personal touch" to uncover more Ultimate++'s "guisberg" features! In fact, it's possible to use them and C++ "power" without a deep knowledge of C++. And learn them easily "in the process". What do you think Luigi Smile?

P.S. Yes, this is the correct topic place but later I'll merge it with your prevous similar topic and make it sticky Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 16 April 2006 19:09]

Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #2524 is a reply to message #2522] Sun, 16 April 2006 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Sun, 16 April 2006 18:52

First of all, this demonstrates how to use Ultimate++ templates and the Designer in hard and not effective ways... Laughing
[snip]

I was awaiting this comments from you Smile .
I am aware of the shortcuts but I wanted just to show all the possibilities. I showed the property panel without the need of CTRL+T, but when you need to tune in a finer way the position or size of the widget I think you have to edit it with CTRL+T. In few words, I have freezed in this tutorial what I have learned from you about designer. The first time when I was alone was very frustrating and I got some sparse hint on the forum. The first impression is very, very important, expecially for beginner. They should feel able to do something immediatly: compile the test case without problems, past and copy piece of code and run it, open the designer and do weird things... it's not important if they do not understand what they do (as me for example Smile ) but playing with success they get confidence and are not afraid to continue.

Quote:

And this, Luigi's, kind of tutorials are needed or even better with something like Macromedia's Flash (I had thinking how to make similar with U++... Smile )

One guy did some video tutorial (using Camtasia + voice) for the FLTK library and it was really impressive. With U++ would be much more impressive of course. But I guess this is very time consuming. Behind 15 minutes of video there are many hours of projects, trial ed errors.

Quote:

On the other hand, I'm very happy that Luigi's response to my lessons are paying off... And I think, no tutorials (nor examples) can substitute the effectiveness of a good interactive mentoring.

You are right!

Quote:

The latter two should grow up "hand in hand". That means, we need more tutorials and more people who can teach (and learn Smile online with "personal touch" to uncover more Ultimate++'s "guisberg" features! In fact, it's possible to use them and C++ "power" without a deep knowledge of C++. And learn them easily "in the process". What do you think Luigi Smile?

I subscribe everything you have written.

Luigi

[Updated on: Sun, 16 April 2006 20:02] by Moderator

Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #2528 is a reply to message #2522] Sun, 16 April 2006 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Quote:

First of all, this demonstrates how to use Ultimate++ templates and the Designer in hard and not effective ways...
Count all the steps required. And then try:
1. start with "CtrlLib application with main window" with the default option...
2. And after you insert any widget (e.g Button) on the layout you don't need to use Ctrl_T to assign names - you can do that by entering your name next to the widget type...
3. Run it.

But in general Luigi's case just shows that new users are not that clever that could use Ultimate++ effectively with the current state of documentation, examples and... templates, and maybe macros.
And this, Luigi's, kind of tutorials are needed or even better with something like Macromedia's Flash (I had thinking how to make similar with U++... )

Well I dislike "active" information and I try hard to keep macromedia flash off my PC. I think Luigi's tutorial is excellent and I think most people would realise the widget names can be entered in the designer, but perhaps this could be added to the tutorial.

If you want to make an "active" tutorial and have lots of bandwidth Cool perhaps you could do it like this

http://www.slickedit.com/content/view/353/217

(This URL gives error 404 in Mozilla but it's ok in Internet Explorer.)

Graeme

[Updated on: Sun, 16 April 2006 23:15]

Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #2532 is a reply to message #2528] Mon, 17 April 2006 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
I said "made with U++..." why do you need bandwidth for it?

[Updated on: Mon, 17 April 2006 00:43]

Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #2533 is a reply to message #2532] Mon, 17 April 2006 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
fudadmin wrote on Mon, 17 April 2006 10:43

I meant bandwidth for the slickedit type movie.
(60 seconds equals how many megabytes?)

Graeme
Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #2534 is a reply to message #2533] Mon, 17 April 2006 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Do you count this way all the time when you use Ultimate++ and pump bytes to your processor? Shocked Laughing
I think you didn't understand my idea. I was thinking that is posible to make (record?) a tutorial using Ultimate's usc macros or something (Log files creates very similar thing...). The begining for this could be editors and designers history list... etc...

Edit: P.S It's a complete nonsense to make pictures (bmp or avi etc) from good working widgets... Laughing
Edit2: and moreover, pump them over the net...

[Updated on: Mon, 17 April 2006 02:19]

Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #4189 is a reply to message #2533] Fri, 28 July 2006 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exolon is currently offline  exolon
gprentice wrote on Sun, 16 April 2006 23:53

fudadmin wrote on Mon, 17 April 2006 10:43

I meant bandwidth for the slickedit type movie.
(60 seconds equals how many megabytes?)

Graeme

Have a look at this then.

A set of generated SWF tutorials on the FLTK library which I was watching the other day, with video of the desktop and audio commentary - 7.5 megs for 10 minutes. Smile

Maybe someone could do that with some beginner tutorials for UPP - I've just started looking for some newbie's material and haven't seen a whole lot...

That said, the environment looks great and compiles things successfully on my laptop running Windows at home and the linux desktops here in work, so I'm looking forward to trying it.
Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #5801 is a reply to message #1818] Mon, 16 October 2006 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
I'm also a FLTK user.
I started with that SWF tutorials. They are really great!
There is also: http://www.showmedo.com/ with SWF tutorials for Python.
I think some U++ guru could make some of these video tutorials to help us newbies.
This software can be used to create: http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/

Hope that it helps! Wink
Thanks

[Updated on: Mon, 16 October 2006 21:29]

Re: Layout designer help [message #7385 is a reply to message #1819] Tue, 26 December 2006 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AngelPortal is currently offline  AngelPortal
Promising Member
I could not download you tutorial.
Do you have it yet.

Angel Portal
Re: Layout designer help [message #7391 is a reply to message #7385] Tue, 26 December 2006 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
AngelPortal wrote on Tue, 26 December 2006 15:51

I could not download you tutorial.
Do you have it yet.

Angel Portal

Hello,

unfortunately the link was corrupted during the transfer of the forum. I can't provvide a new one now (I'm far from my computer) but you can investigate the following article
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/IntroUpp.asp
that cover more or less the same thing of my tutorial. Try it and come here with questions if something is not clear.

Luigi

EDIT: I found my tutorial in the web
http://www.arilect.com/upp/tutorials/tutdes/DesignerTutorial 0.htm

[Updated on: Tue, 26 December 2006 19:44]

Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #13666 is a reply to message #2514] Sat, 19 January 2008 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gmolleda is currently offline  gmolleda
Hi,

I can't download the file attached.
I receive a zero bytes size file

Edit: Sorry, now I have seen the new links in the last post.

Best regards.

[Updated on: Sat, 19 January 2008 22:38]

Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #24849 is a reply to message #13666] Mon, 01 February 2010 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AllJumbledUp is currently offline  AllJumbledUp
Hi,

I'm brand new to Upp (from Dev Cpp) and it's taken 2 days to make it all work, partly my lack of knowledge of minGW & partly overly optimistic doco.

I'd like to see Luigi's tutorial despite the disparagement 'cos, let's face it, it can't be worse than nothing Twisted Evil Unfortunately all the above links go nowhere. I've found the codeproject one (by searching for Upp on the site) at
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/library/IntroUpp.aspx
but Luigi's is nowhere to be found...

Kind regards.

I just noticed the dates on the previous posts. I would have hoped for the doco to be amazingly clear after 2 or 3 years. I have to say the Layout info seems to be written for people who already know how it all works and just need reminding. Is there a button or menu item somewhere that would invoke Layout?

[Updated on: Mon, 01 February 2010 15:30]

Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #24854 is a reply to message #24849] Mon, 01 February 2010 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
AllJumbledUp wrote on Mon, 01 February 2010 16:17

Is there a button or menu item somewhere that would invoke Layout?

Add to your project a file with *.lay extension and you'll have the layout shown.
Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #24865 is a reply to message #1818] Tue, 02 February 2010 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Here's Luigi's original tutorial.

• Attachment: tutdes.rar
    (Size: 277.85KB, Downloaded 506 times)
Re: Designer: Tutorial for beginners [message #43556 is a reply to message #1818] Sun, 31 August 2014 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
eloxer is currently offline  eloxer
Hi!

Despite that this thread is old I'd like to add a reply to it because the situation hasn't changed much.

I am a U++ and TheIDE beginner. I find myself failing at doing such a simple thing as adding a new layout. Right now I do it by hand by handcoding new layout files and then by adding them but this should not be the right way. Maybe I am too influenced by other RAD environments but I would expect a menu option "Create new Layout" or "Create a new Widget Type" under Menu->Project or Menu->File or Menu->Edit->Insert or the like. At least I would expect to be able to create a new layout file using some Wizard from the context menu in the project's file list.

What is the trick? Frankly, clicking on some obscure corner of TheIDE to get the right menu would quite disappoint me.

Cheers,
Aleksander
Previous Topic: Switch Text and Designer on large .lay-File
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 07:54:00 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01351 seconds