Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » ArrayCtrl, HeaderCtrl & GridCtrl » ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button
ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #2611] Wed, 19 April 2006 04:13 Go to next message
kevinle10@gmail.com is currently offline  kevinle10@gmail.com
Promising Member
What would be the easiest way to have an ArrayCtrl with cells whose each of them consists of an edit field and a helper button (button caption is like "..."). An example can be seen in VC++ 2005 by going to Tools->Options->VC++ Diretories and look at the list on the right hand side.

Basically, the ArrayCtrl supports inline editing, but each cell at the time of being edited also shows a small button at the right edge.

Thanks
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #2617 is a reply to message #2611] Wed, 19 April 2006 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
kevinle10@gmail.com wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 03:13

What would be the easiest way to have an ArrayCtrl with cells whose each of them consists of an edit field and a helper button (button caption is like "..."). An example can be seen in VC++ 2005 by going to Tools->Options->VC++ Diretories and look at the list on the right hand side.

Basically, the ArrayCtrl supports inline editing, but each cell at the time of being edited also shows a small button at the right edge.

Thanks

I don't know what is the easiest but the first idea: I would try to make like a container control consisting of Edit and Button and try to add it to a column...
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #2619 is a reply to message #2611] Wed, 19 April 2006 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Thanks. That makes sense. I'll try and let everyone knows. In the mean time, if someone else has some other ideas, I'l entertain them.
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #2620 is a reply to message #2619] Wed, 19 April 2006 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Yes, it seems that it works ok. Took me 5 min to add to the other app.
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #2621 is a reply to message #2620] Wed, 19 April 2006 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
ok, you can try this and tell if it's what you expected.
#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>

class Ctrl2 : public ParentCtrl {
	EditField edit;
	Button button;
public:
	typedef Ctrl2 CLASSNAME;
	Ctrl2();
	~Ctrl2() {;}
};

Ctrl2::Ctrl2()
{
	edit.SetRect(0,0,50,15); //one problem are sizes >15...
	button.SetRect(55,0,85,15);
	button.SetLabel("Help!!!");
	Add(edit);
	Add(button);
}

void Extra2(One<Ctrl>& ctrl)
{
		ctrl.Create<Ctrl2>();
}

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
	TopWindow w;
	ArrayCtrl arr;

arr.AddColumn("col1",2);
	arr.AddColumn("col2",5).Ctrls(Extra2);
	arr.SetLineCy(20);

arr.Add("aaa");
	arr.Add("bbb");

arr.SizePos();
	w.Add(arr);

w.Run();
}
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #2633 is a reply to message #2621] Wed, 19 April 2006 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
BTW, consider using layout....

Also, you will likely have to implement GetData/SetData to pass editfield value through ArrayCtrl.

Mirek

[Updated on: Wed, 19 April 2006 14:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #2639 is a reply to message #2621] Wed, 19 April 2006 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hm, I wonder if subclassing from EditField and override the Paint() method along with some Mouse actions methods would be better. Again, the idea is to have the edit field occupying the entire cell until it gets the focus, then the button appears.

IN general, I just wonder if one of the goals of Ultimate++ from now on is to create more controls. That would truly make U++ ultimate.
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #2640 is a reply to message #2639] Wed, 19 April 2006 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
kevinle10@gmail.com wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 16:57

IN general, I just wonder if one of the goals of Ultimate++ from now on is to create more controls. That would truly make U++ ultimate.

In this case, "ultimateness" depends on the amount of community members capabilities to contribute. The more of it, the more "ultimate"... So, you and everyone is welcome to join all the goals. Smile
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #2642 is a reply to message #2639] Wed, 19 April 2006 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kevinle10@gmail.com wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 11:57

In general, the primary goal of U++ is to make creating widgets very easy and make them very interoperable.

Mirek
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #3074 is a reply to message #2633] Sat, 06 May 2006 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 14:31

BTW, consider using layout....

Hello,
I've modified a bit the Aris' example above using the layout as Mirek suggested to create an embedded two-control made by an editint followed by a label. What is entered in the edit is immediately replicated in the label. Here it is:
#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>

#define LAYOUTFILE    <edithelp/a.lay>
#include <CtrlCore/lay.h>

//--------------------- begin class -----------------
class EditLabel : public WithEditLabel<TopWindow> {
public:
	typedef EditLabel CLASSNAME;
	void WriteLabel();
	EditLabel();
};

void EditLabel::WriteLabel()
{	lbl.SetLabel( AsString(~edit) );
        //SetFocus();
}

EditLabel::EditLabel()
{	CtrlLayout(*this, "");
	edit <<= THISBACK(WriteLabel);
}

void Extra2(One<Ctrl>& ctrl)
{	ctrl.Create<EditLabel>();
}
//--------------------- end class -------------------

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
	TopWindow w;
	ArrayCtrl arr;

arr.AddColumn("col1",20);
	arr.AddColumn("col2",20).Ctrls(Extra2);
	arr.SetLineCy(20);

arr.Add("aaa");
	arr.Add("bbb");

arr.SizePos();
	w.Add(arr);

w.Run();
}

LAYOUT(EditLabel, 96, 19)
	ITEM(EditInt, edit, LeftPosZ(2, 32).TopPosZ(1, 17))
	ITEM(Label, lbl, SetFrame(ThinInsetFrame()).LeftPosZ(36, 60).TopPosZ(1, 17))
END_LAYOUT

Now the horintal alignement is improved drastically and there is no problem with size > 15 that can be tuned as one like.
Moreover appear the annoying problem of the cursor of the array that does not follow the click on the embedded control. To overcome it I've added
SetFocus();
connected to edit.WhenAction but then come two new unwanted side effects:
1) WhenAction was already used to pass the value to the label at the right. So while one type in the editint it continue to focus when should not be necessary (in principle).
2) Instead happens that after the first SetFocus() the cursor of the array is syncronised with the embedded control but the focus escape from editint and finish somewhere else in the row and one cannot continue the edit of the field!

Any idea to overcame the problem?

Luigi
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #3075 is a reply to message #3074] Sat, 06 May 2006 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
forlano wrote on Sat, 06 May 2006 00:31

Luigi

Morning always brings the solution... Smile
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #3077 is a reply to message #3075] Sat, 06 May 2006 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Sat, 06 May 2006 02:04

forlano wrote on Sat, 06 May 2006 00:31

Luigi

Morning always brings the solution... Smile

I hope Smile.
Your twoctrl can be very useful... if I knew how to handle it!
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #3079 is a reply to message #3077] Sat, 06 May 2006 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
try this: Smile
{
	lbl.SetLabel( AsString(~edit) );
	SetFocus();
	edit.SetFocus();
	edit.SetSelection(edit.GetLength());
}

btw, why do you use a label and not a button?

[Updated on: Sat, 06 May 2006 03:00]

Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #3080 is a reply to message #3079] Sat, 06 May 2006 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Also, try to change (with the above)
WithEditLabel<TopWindow> -> WithEditLabel<ParentCtrl>
and
CtrlLayout(*this,""); -> CtrlLayout(*this);
also:
ctrl.Create<EditLabel>().SizePos();
and this:
LAYOUT(EditLabel, 124, 32)
	ITEM(EditInt, edit, LeftPosZ(12, 32).VCenterPosZ(17, 1))
	ITEM(Label, lbl, SetFrame(ThinInsetFrame()).LeftPosZ(64, 56).VCenterPosZ(16, 0))
END_LAYOUT

[Updated on: Sat, 06 May 2006 03:17]

Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #3085 is a reply to message #3079] Sat, 06 May 2006 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Sat, 06 May 2006 02:58

{
	SetFocus();
	edit.SetFocus();
}

Thanks!
Everything work perfectly. Your improvements automatically include a feature that I wanted: each time I pressed the TAB key the focus pass to the next editint.
I need a label to show the match result [1-0], [0-1] etc..., while in the editint I enter their short code 1, 0, and so on.

Let me ask you (this is a good moment for it) what is the difference between deriving from TopWindow and CtrlParent. It seems the second one is better for embedded widget in that it merge better with the around widget. While the first one seems more indicate for indipendent widget like dialog. Is it correct?

Luigi
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #3086 is a reply to message #3085] Sat, 06 May 2006 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
forlano wrote on Sat, 06 May 2006 10:38

fudadmin wrote on Sat, 06 May 2006 02:58

{
	SetFocus();
	edit.SetFocus();
}

Thanks!
Everything work perfectly. Your improvements automatically include a feature that I wanted: each time I pressed the TAB key the focus pass to the next editint.
I need a label to show the match result [1-0], [0-1] etc..., while in the editint I enter their short code 1, 0, and so on.

Let me ask you (this is a good moment for it) what is the difference between deriving from TopWindow and CtrlParent. It seems the second one is better for embedded widget in that it merge better with the around widget. While the first one seems more indicate for indipendent widget like dialog. Is it correct?

BTW, can you add two words for the tricky row:

without it I can't enter more than one char.

Luigi

[Updated on: Sun, 07 May 2006 21:07]

Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #3087 is a reply to message #3086] Sat, 06 May 2006 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
forlano wrote on Sat, 06 May 2006 09:44

Luigi

Yes, I think so.
Re: ArrayCtrl cell consisting of edit and helper button [message #3110 is a reply to message #3085] Sun, 07 May 2006 19:50 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

The main difference is that TopWindow is kind of heavy - it contains all data needed to "run" top-level window.

Mirek
Previous Topic: ArrayCtrl with enabled/Disabled columns
Next Topic: how to set/get data in a composite embedded ctrl in an arrayctrl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 18:29:09 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02816 seconds