Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Using TheIDE/U++ and Visual Studio 2008/2010 IDE as a team in a project
Using TheIDE/U++ and Visual Studio 2008/2010 IDE as a team in a project [message #35453] Sat, 18 February 2012 08:26 Go to next message
jonzun is currently offline  jonzun
Promising Member
Hi there!

I have a question about using TheIDE & U++ and Visual Studio 2008/2010 IDE (VS) as a team.

Im planning an application with 32 and 64 bit target as an experiment and to learn TheIDE/U++. And my intention is to keep the source as portable for linux/gcc as possible.

My intention is to stick with the microsoft compiler for windows for debugging / profiling and "lolevel" stuff while using TheIDE and U++ as the GUI prototyping and main application skeleton development tool.

-------------------
Plan:

1.First I expect to design the basic GUI application using U++ with its functionality as a prototype.

2.Then I will switch over to Visual Studio and create a compatible workspace/project type and add all existing source created inside TheIDE (sharing the sources across both IDEs) and build it inside Visual Studio. During this phase i may add external 3rd party libraries etc and build & test using Visual Studio.

3.If there are any changes required in the GUI during the development, i switch back to TheIDE. Now I either have to make the code added during phase 2 compilable inside TheIDE OR i maintain all "exterior code from VS as stubs with some ifdefs - whatever is easier. Then I iterate Phase 2 and 3 until the application is complete.

-------------------

The Problems i expect will be to keep the project / compiler settings compatible across both IDEs as well as all project source files.

Questions:

What is your general opinion about this approach ?
Is there anything should I know to make things easier for me ?
Is it maybe better to always add source code inside the TheIDE structure, and then change in VS ?

kind regards

jz

af571fa42a55726edd4647727f2f6f08

[Updated on: Sat, 18 February 2012 08:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using TheIDE/U++ and Visual Studio 2008/2010 IDE as a team in a project [message #35484 is a reply to message #35453] Wed, 22 February 2012 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keltor is currently offline  keltor
I am a beginner myself, so perhaps not the most indicated person to answer, but here are my two cents. Unless there is something really advanced that you have to do with VC++, I don't really see any need to change back and forth between the two IDEs. U++ can produce executables using the VC++ compiler, and you can also link libraries directly.

The VC++ debugger is of course a plus, but on the other hand since you want to port the code to linux, I honestly don't see why you should bother with the whole cumbersome experience instead of just sticking to U++ and letting it do the hard work for you.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 February 2012 12:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using TheIDE/U++ and Visual Studio 2008/2010 IDE as a team in a project [message #35488 is a reply to message #35484] Wed, 22 February 2012 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Thanks for the reply!

I can assure you i have good reasons, otherwise i would not ask. I just don't want to go into more detail for now.

Is there anyone else who can give me some advice ?

kind regards

jonzu

Re: Using TheIDE/U++ and Visual Studio 2008/2010 IDE as a team in a project [message #35564 is a reply to message #35488] Wed, 29 February 2012 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jjacksonRIAB is currently offline  jjacksonRIAB
Experienced Member
I suppose you could use CMake to generate projects for Visual Studio, as well as various other development systems. I don't think U++ is supported, though, and have no idea how to add support. There was a post related to CMake and included CMakeLists.txt files for building TheIDE and using that route you could conceivably generate Visual Studio projects, so those files might give some insight into how it's done:

http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=6013

I don't know how involved this process would be, but it might be a place to start looking. My suspicion is that CMake could be extended to support U++ with relatively less effort than other systems because the project files are simpler.

You might also be able to get somewhere with umk and custom build rules.

I can't think of any ridiculously easy way to do this.

Re: Using TheIDE/U++ and Visual Studio 2008/2010 IDE as a team in a project [message #35572 is a reply to message #35564] Wed, 29 February 2012 21:27 Go to previous message
Promising Member
Thank you for the advice. I did not used CMake so far.
I will give your suggestions a shot ...

kind regards

jonzun

Previous Topic: Ctrl::Quit() and system shutdown
Next Topic: Change images
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:44:51 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01676 seconds