Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW)
icon9.gif  U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36431] Sun, 27 May 2012 06:07 Go to next message
JohnGreek is currently offline  JohnGreek
Hello, i am having a problem mainly understanding how i am supposed to compile a U++ project with Code::Blocks.
Which libraries i must link to and where i can get them. In the installation .exe were only the .h and .cpp files.
Please help me Sad
Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36434 is a reply to message #36431] Sun, 27 May 2012 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerson is currently offline  jerson
Experienced Member

U++ compiles its projects either using MS visual c++ or MinGW compilers. Code blocks is a different tool altogether unrelated to U++. I'm sure someone more experienced in U++ will answer this question better than I have.
Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36436 is a reply to message #36431] Sun, 27 May 2012 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Each .upp file corresponds to a static library or an executable. Include all .cpp and .h files you can see in .upp file in your project. Dependencies and options are also inside of .upp files. You will also meet .icpp files. They require special handling.

Try to understand what BLITZ stands for. It is a good reason to forget about Code::Blocks and switch to TheIDE Smile

Have fun!

Regards,
Novo

[Updated on: Sun, 27 May 2012 21:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36437 is a reply to message #36431] Sun, 27 May 2012 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your reply Novo. I will try to compile a simple example this way.
I'm using Code::Blocks for like 5 years and i'm kinda used to it. Plus TheIDE is not really attractive regarding it's UI and configuration. My personal opinion though..
I'm building a 3D engine and i used Win32 for the UI but it can't be integrated with the multimedia library i'm using so i needed a GUI and u++ seems very powerfull and rich. Hope i can make it work Smile
Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36438 is a reply to message #36431] Sun, 27 May 2012 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sender Ghost is currently offline  Sender Ghost
Hello, Dimitris.

I would like to add, that it is possible to use CMake build system to generate Code::Blocks project files. You could see how to do this based on "Building TheIDE with using CMake" topic (by using gen_CodeBlocks.bat batch file).
From my side, I could add, that it is also possible to use QT Creator IDE, Eclipse CDT, Microsoft Visual C++, etc. with using CMake. So, it is possible to look U++ sources from different point of view. But still, if you want to understand how to use U++ (documentation, layout editor, assemblies and nests organization, etc.), I recommend to start with TheIDE.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 May 2012 21:06]

Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36439 is a reply to message #36431] Sun, 27 May 2012 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
In case of .icpp files you need to compile them (into object files) and link against an executable and not a library.

U++ has a lot of interesting and unusual features ...

Regards,
Novo

[Updated on: Sun, 27 May 2012 21:18]

Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36440 is a reply to message #36431] Sun, 27 May 2012 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi JohnGreek,

Also somewhat simpler compromise could be to create your package in TheIDE at first and than use Code::Blocks for editing of the files. It should be possible to create a shortcut in Code::Blocks (or any other modern IDE) to execute umk or extern Makefile to build the package for you, so in the end you would only need to launch TheIDE to change the project structure, but the editing and building could be done from your favourite environment Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36444 is a reply to message #36431] Mon, 28 May 2012 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you all for your answers but i really don't understand why there are no library files like any other library and i have to include all source/header or build or use TheIDE...
Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36445 is a reply to message #36444] Mon, 28 May 2012 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sender Ghost is currently offline  Sender Ghost
JohnGreek wrote on Mon, 28 May 2012 00:06

I really don't understand why there are no library files like any other library and I have to include all source/header or build or use TheIDE...

It's not just a library. On the main page we could see:
Quote:

U++ is a C++ cross-platform rapid application development framework focused on programmers productivity. It includes a set of libraries (GUI, SQL, etc..), and an integrated development environment.

But yes, there were some efforts to use U++ as just a set of libraries.
The possible answer is here.

On the other side, it is possible to use other integrated development environments (including Code::Blocks) already, but this requires understanding of U++ infrastructure.

Edit:
Clarified some moments in the text.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 May 2012 03:57]

Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36447 is a reply to message #36444] Mon, 28 May 2012 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
JohnGreek wrote

I'm using Code::Blocks for like 5 years and i'm kinda used to it. Plus TheIDE is not really attractive regarding it's UI and configuration. My personal opinion though..

I think is a matter of taste... theide is quite fast and comfortable, after you get used to it. Yep, it takes some time to master it.... mostly because of some lacks of documentation and some stuffs that can seem weird on first use.
When I tried it first time, I didn't like it at all, but now it's my only IDE Smile

JohnGreek wrote on Mon, 28 May 2012 00:06

thank you all for your answers but i really don't understand why there are no library files like any other library and i have to include all source/header or build or use TheIDE...

Well.. I guess there are many reasons :

1) Upp sources are updated *very* often, so if you work with source files, svn and TheIDE you can work on daily builds, which is a big advantage, IMHO.
Using a precompiled library, you'd have to update the library first, then your app, a 2 step approach.

2) TheIDE has some (small) caveats but some big advantages over other IDEs, mainly BLITZ that speeds up builds by an order of magnitude.

3) Upp uses some sort of "source plugins" that are linked on demand; that's done by special ".icpp" files which are linked in if you include the plugin package in theide; with other ides you'll run into (solvable) problems about it.

I've never build Upp without theide, but some other people did, so it's feasible, with some work. Anyways, you'll loose the packaging concept of upp doing so.

Ciao

Max

[Updated on: Mon, 28 May 2012 09:41]

Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36448 is a reply to message #36447] Mon, 28 May 2012 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BioBytes is currently offline  BioBytes
Hi John,

I agree with Max. I started in 2008 with U++ and for some reasons of immature features I moved to CodeBlocks/MingW and wxWidgets.

After 1 or 2 years, I decided to come back to U++ as I really appreciated its philosophy the first time I tried it.

The build operation is easy much more than using Code blocks which requires to change parameters when you move your project files from one machine to another. With U++, it is very easy just creating a zipped file containing all your projects files (except *.upp describing the local configuration) and it is done.

After compilation you get a single exe file: no need to add the wxWidgets *.dll or mingw.dll and so on...

U++ and TheIde is definitively a smart developpement tool for C++ making our hooby (or job ?!) more enjoyable.

Regards

Biobytes

Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36449 is a reply to message #36448] Mon, 28 May 2012 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Well... I even don't use zip nor copy sources, to transfer from linux to windows Smile
Working on linux, I just use wine (or virtualbox if need debugging working) on THE SAME source tree, without changing anything, and it builds fine. Of course, sometimes I've to adjust some conditional compilation IN MY CODE, but the whole UPP library builds perfectly with no changes at all.

I'm no aware of other ide that can manage same portability as Upp...

As I said, Theide can scare at the beginning, but that's mostly because of stuffs that seems weird on beginning but shows their power when you're used to it.
Yep, the documentation is not the best, indeed... there are some IDE feature that I'm still discovering after years of usage.

Max

[Updated on: Mon, 28 May 2012 10:32]

Re: U++ on Code::Blocks (MinGW) [message #36453 is a reply to message #36444] Mon, 28 May 2012 16:56 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
JohnGreek wrote on Sun, 27 May 2012 18:06

The primary reason is that we are trying to add true modularity to C++ with TheIDE. Project is a set of modules ("packages") that know their relative dependencies and know everything it is needed to be compiled into project on all supported platforms.

There is no difference between packages written by you and those of U++ library. Adding reusable package to the set of existing ones is very simple.

But it is nonstandard as hell Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 28 May 2012 16:57]

Previous Topic: Drawing / Refresh problem/questions
Next Topic: HexView and Unix
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:54:10 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01553 seconds