Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » programming in eclipse -> compiling in theide command line
programming in eclipse -> compiling in theide command line [message #37381] Sat, 29 September 2012 02:09 Go to next message
Mircode is currently offline  Mircode
Promising Member
Hi there!

From other threads in this forum I got the impression, that compiling U++ projects is only possible using theide.

Well, I would like to work in eclipse instead. I created an eclipse project and included the U++ library. When I try to compile, I get godzillions of errors.

So I would like to use eclipse only for coding and theide for compiling. However, I did not manage to compile a package using the command line.

I tried:

theide assembly projectname

and

theide assembly "C:/.../projectfolder"

but it said could not find package.

I would be glad if anyone could tell me how to run theide in command line mode, I did not find anything except this elaborate documentation:

http://www.ultimatepp.org/app$ide$cmdline$en-us.html

Thanks in advance!
Re: programming in eclipse -> compiling in theide command line [message #37383 is a reply to message #37381] Sat, 29 September 2012 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Mirko,

You want to use umk, check the documentation. Also, if you work on Linux or other posix system, you could use a makefile, but using umk is probably easier.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: programming in eclipse -> compiling in theide command line [message #37391 is a reply to message #37383] Sat, 29 September 2012 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi! Thanks for your answer. That looks better.

Still I can't manage to get it compiling. I think I do not understand the syntax here.

As you might have guessed since I am not good with command line interfaces, I am working on windows Razz

Since my error is no longer "Package does not exist" but "Invalid build method", I suppose I got the first two arguments right:

umk MyApps KeyBuddy2

I do not understand why the general command line specification in the documentation is

umk assembly package [-[a][b][e][r][s][S][v][1][2][m][d][M][l][x][X][Hn]] [+FLAG[,FLAG]...] [out]

but then it is explained:

"build_method is build method that is to be used to..."

It's like reading in a recipe: "You need butter, sugar and milk." and later on "Cut all the apples into pieces."

Supposing the specification is:

umk assembly package build_method [-[a][b][e][r][s][S][v][1][2][m][d][M][l][x][X][Hn]] [+FLAG[,FLAG]...] [out]

I can't seem to create a valid build method. I tried

umk MyApps KeyBuddy2 MINGW.bm C:/testout

(since this was the only bm file I found in the upp directory tree)
and I tried

umk MyApps KeyBuddy2 GCC C:/testout
(since I got that from the examples)

Nothing worked.
Could someone create a working line for windows?
I would also like to know where all the flags are explained.

Sorry to appear so frustrated Smile

Thanks in advance!
Re: programming in eclipse -> compiling in theide command line [message #37392 is a reply to message #37391] Sat, 29 September 2012 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Oops, seems like there are errors on the documentation page Embarassed The correct line should probably be

umk MyApps <your_app> MSVC -b /path/output_name

Use MINGW instead of MSVC if you are using mingw compiler.

As for the flags: They are explained at http://ultimatepp.org/app$ide$Flags$en-us.html . The list seems bit out of date too, but should give you an idea Sad

I'll try to fix the docs soon...

Honza
Re: programming in eclipse -> compiling in theide command line [message #37393 is a reply to message #37392] Sat, 29 September 2012 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Thanks for the answer.

Actually I already found out that I do not need to append ".bm" from your example here: http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=350 19&

And I got it running. I just wanted to post that in the forum but I was logged out and my text was lost Sad Everytime this happens in a forum I remind myself to work in an editor and copy into the forum, but I always forget.

So...

My almost working line was

myApps KeyBuddy2 MINGW C:\test

It compiled each c++ file from the upp library and returned with an error that it could not find some .a file I think.
I just tried again and it worked.

However, there is no "test" folder in C:...

Also it would be cool to have some more documentation and examples on this, DAU-compatible Wink
Re: programming in eclipse -> compiling in theide command line [message #37402 is a reply to message #37393] Sun, 30 September 2012 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

I fixed the docs a little, it should appear on the web tomorrow. It is not much, but at least the errors should be gone Smile Also, if you manage to make the eclipse work with umk as builder, it would be great if you could write some howto. There might be other users who would like to do something similar.

Mircode wrote on Sat, 29 September 2012 14:58

My almost working line was

myApps KeyBuddy2 MINGW C:\test

It compiled each c++ file from the upp library and returned with an error that it could not find some .a file I think.
I just tried again and it worked.

However, there is no "test" folder in C:...

I think in this case umk would try to create a file named test. Only if there was already folder called test, it would create a file called KeyBuddy2.exe in that folder. Do you have neccesary permisions to write there?

Honza
Re: programming in eclipse -> compiling in theide command line [message #37899 is a reply to message #37381] Tue, 20 November 2012 23:25 Go to previous message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
What would be the procedure and command line to compile the ide on Windows?

copy umk.exe to C:\upp\uppsrc\ide

cd C:\upp\uppsrc\ide

umk.exe ide MSC10 ????

The documentation for Linux is extensive but confusing.

I would like to try it on windows.

edit:
This is the closest I have been able to do:
C:\upp\uppsrc\ide>umk.exe c:\upp\uppsrc ide MSC10 -a1ev ">PRO,GUI,MT,OCOE,CLIENT_WORP" ide.exe
Assembly file: c:\upp\uppsrc.var
Assembly: C:\upp\uppsrc
Output directory: C:\upp\out
Main package: C:\upp\uppsrc\ide\ide.upp
Build method:
Invalid build method

[Updated on: Wed, 21 November 2012 03:18]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Linking issue with U 5418 and MSC9
Next Topic: Installation of Windows 7 SDK fails
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:18:22 CET 2024