FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » U++ Build 5485 Win32 with MinGW IDE problem
U++ Build 5485 Win32 with MinGW IDE problem [message #37720] Mon, 05 November 2012 18:19 Go to next message
lut20121105 is currently offline  lut20121105
Hi, I am new in U++ C++, OOP and GUI programming. I use Window environment most of the time, I used SVR4 10 year back, still try Linux on and off. I am trying to develop application for multiplanform and multilingual.

Just downloaded U++ 5485 on my netbook 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, multipartitioned harddisk 120GB. Windows XP SP3 with VC++ Express 2010 and Windows SDK7, MinGW build 2012-10-12.

Tried TheIde with MinGW setting using gcc. First tried U++6.05 download from Cnet. After a few days realised 6.05 outdated, so download directly from U++ 5485.

As with 6.0.5 U++ first build I did not get the exe popup whatever example I build. I always set myAppy directory to G: drive (same as VC2010ex project directory). MinGW and Upp on D:.

BUGs???
1. When I modified an example, added a function without completing it (eg. function(i) without the i) in U++ or Upp. Then switch context to Firefox search for the information on the function. To my surprise I was not able to switch back. U++ seem to hang. "System Internal" process explore shows that my CPU was 48 to 50% utilised, it shows that the Upp and gdb was taken up all these CPU cycles. I was not buildiing anything just edit and switch windows. I had to kill that U++ process. This happened a few times, once it took 100% CPU and followed by a Blue screen. I managed to repeat this problem especially I use ctrl-space to bring the popup list of function without completing it.

2. Theide also created a \MyApp in my D: drive. It keep all the intermediate file there while my source and package in G: as defined in setup, Why D:\MyApp??

Other questions

3. Why the appl package (file) can not be modified, such that I can change the setting from MinGW to VC++??

4. In Win32 WindowProc() is where the event handling capture, in U++ where to do that? In particular I want to detect return key while the user entering text in edit box or the user click the add button. (not sure how Qt or Wxwidget do it either)

I try to stick to U++ so that program I create will be able run on both Linux and Windows (without modification, may need to recompile in the two environment for the release, right?

Thanks in advance.
Re: U++ Build 5485 Win32 with MinGW IDE problem [message #37721 is a reply to message #37720] Mon, 05 November 2012 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
lut20121105 wrote on Mon, 05 November 2012 12:19

Hi, I am new in U++ C++, OOP and GUI programming. I use Window environment most of the time, I used SVR4 10 year back, still try Linux on and off. I am trying to develop application for multiplanform and multilingual.

Just downloaded U++ 5485 on my netbook 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, multipartitioned harddisk 120GB. Windows XP SP3 with VC++ Express 2010 and Windows SDK7, MinGW build 2012-10-12.

Tried TheIde with MinGW setting using gcc. First tried U++6.05 download from Cnet. After a few days realised 6.05 outdated, so download directly from U++ 5485.

As with 6.0.5 U++ first build I did not get the exe popup whatever example I build. I always set myAppy directory to G: drive (same as VC2010ex project directory). MinGW and Upp on D:.

BUGs???
1. When I modified an example, added a function without completing it (eg. function(i) without the i) in U++ or Upp. Then switch context to Firefox search for the information on the function. To my surprise I was not able to switch back. U++ seem to hang. "System Internal" process explore shows that my CPU was 48 to 50% utilised, it shows that the Upp and gdb was taken up all these CPU cycles. I was not buildiing anything just edit and switch windows. I had to kill that U++ process. This happened a few times, once it took 100% CPU and followed by a Blue screen. I managed to repeat this problem especially I use ctrl-space to bring the popup list of function without completing it.

Using mingw is problematic - it is sort of deprecated. Using Win32 SDK is the preferred way for windows U++ development.

Quote:

2. Theide also created a \MyApp in my D: drive. It keep all the intermediate file there while my source and package in G: as defined in setup, Why D:\MyApp??

That is weird, it should have asked where to put it.

Quote:

3. Why the appl package (file) can not be modified, such that I can change the setting from MinGW to VC++??

Not sure I understand this question well; compiler specific settings are deliberately decoupled from the project files so that you can move the project between compilers and platforms without sources being affected.

Quote:

4. In Win32 WindowProc() is where the event handling capture, in U++ where to do that? In particular I want to detect return key while the user entering text in edit box or the user click the add button. (not sure how Qt or Wxwidget do it either)

I guess you are searching for "Key" virtual method here...

Quote:

I try to stick to U++ so that program I create will be able run on both Linux and Windows (without modification, may need to recompile in the two environment for the release, right?

Yes... except that you cannot that much easily release compiled code for Linux - that is not U++ specific, that is "Linux wide" problem... Smile

Mirek
more U++ Build 5485 Win32 with MSC10 IDE problem [message #37755 is a reply to message #37721] Fri, 09 November 2012 10:05 Go to previous message
lut20121105 is currently offline  lut20121105
Thanks Mirek,

Thanks for all the ponters, some I need futher clearification.

Before I carry on, I would like to correct some information I put up.

"6.0.5 U++ first build I did not get the exe popup whatever example I build. I always set myAppy directory to G: drive (same as VC2010ex project directory). MinGW and Upp on D:." This happened to Upp 5485. The example package setting using MSC10. I saw no compiler error nor link error. Just wonder what did I setup wrongly.

Build environment as in Upp setup.
Builder MSC10
Compiler name: cl <- defult empty. no diff.
External debugger: <empty>
Default debug info level: Full
use Blitz all static. Debug Options : -Od

Release mode default: Use BLITZ , all static, Optimezed for speed: -O2-GS Optimized for size: -O1 -GS others default empty.

Execution path directory
E:\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\Common7\IDE\
E:\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\vc\Bin
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin

Include directory
E:\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\Vc\Include
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Include

Include Library
E:\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\Vc\Lib
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Lib

Rebuild all output
----- CtrlLib ( GUI MSC10 DEBUG DEBUG_FULL BLITZ WIN32 MSC ) (1 / 10)
BLITZ: LabelBase.cpp Button.cpp Switch.cpp EditField.cpp Text.cpp LineEdit.cpp DocEdit.cpp ScrollBar.cpp HeaderCtr
l.cpp ArrayCtrl.cpp MultiButton.cpp PopupTable.cpp DropList.cpp DropChoice.cpp Static.cpp Splitter.cpp FrameSp
litter.cpp SliderCtrl.cpp ColumnList.cpp Progress.cpp AKeys.cpp RichTextView.cpp Prompt.cpp Help.cpp DateTimeC
trl.cpp Bar.cpp MenuItem.cpp MenuBar.cpp ToolButton.cpp ToolBar.cpp ToolTip.cpp StatusBar.cpp TabCtrl.cpp Tree
Ctrl.cpp DropTree.cpp DlgColor.cpp ColorPopup.cpp ColorPusher.cpp FileList.cpp FileSel.cpp FileSelUtil.cpp Pri
nterJob.cpp Windows.cpp Win32.cpp TrayIconWin32.cpp TrayIconX11.cpp Update.cpp CtrlUtil.cpp LNGCtrl.cpp Ch.cpp

There were errors. (0:00.23) <--- where is the error? Is it in all the above original source???

On BUGS???
1. So I better off using MSC10 rather than MinGW gcc?
2. upp5485 MyApp appears in d:\upp\out\MyApps. All Intermediate files debugs .o goes in .\core\, .\Ctrlcore\, \.MSC10.Debug.., etc. My original setup directory and source is in g:\workarea3\UppMyApps and g:\Workarea3\UppExamples. Does it default to d:\upp\out everytime I select an example package for compile??

3. Please show example of what you mean.

4. I used to modified / Add / Delete a few line in Windows program in VC3 for some key intercep on GUI, such that when user click Add button or press enter in Line edit field, will be intercep to same routine. I have no clue about key virtual method please show me how to do it in Upp. (If too long send me private message).

5. In Linux are you referring to the distro base, RH, Debian, Slackware or KDE, Gnome, QT, Wxwiget GUI base? I know all there contribute to interoperation. Now I have another GUI is Upp to add on rigit??

Thanks you are very helpful. My concept in OOP is very basic, class, inheritant, polymorphic still not fully grasp.

Previous Topic: UserClass Layout Placeholder
Next Topic: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 19:04:05 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02619 seconds