Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++
Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #37769] Sun, 11 November 2012 12:20 Go to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Hi!
It would be useful to have 7zip's LZMA SDK in U++, maybe with an easy layer like:

7zFile f("test.7z");
f.Add("file1.txt","this is some data");
f.Add("file2.txt","more data");
f.Close();

LZMA SDK is available at: http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html

License is public domain.
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #37804 is a reply to message #37769] Wed, 14 November 2012 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Filed as http://www.ultimatepp.org/redmine/issues/354

Any takers? Smile

Mirek
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38176 is a reply to message #37804] Mon, 03 December 2012 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Looks like LZMA is based on this:

http://tukaani.org/xz/

which appears to be public domain. Perhaps we should implement that instead?

Mirek
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38178 is a reply to message #38176] Mon, 03 December 2012 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Mirek,

It's the other way around: The XZ Utils is based on LZMA SDK which is in public domain and originally part of 7-zip. XZ Utils is just another project using LZMA SDK.

Best regards,

Tom
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38179 is a reply to message #38178] Mon, 03 December 2012 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, thanks for clarification.

plugin/LZMA would be definitely great. Best if served in the same interface as Zlib.

Mirek
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38198 is a reply to message #38179] Wed, 05 December 2012 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi,

I looked at the lzma-sdk and think I can manage this, so I took the ticket.

mirek wrote on Mon, 03 December 2012 15:23

plugin/LZMA would be definitely great. Best if served in the same interface as Zlib.

Just for clarification, by zlib interface you mean Zlib class or the (G)ZCompress/(G)ZDecompress functions, or both? I was also looking at bz2 and zip plugins, and they are each different... Bz2 is just Compress/Decompress functions, while zip is a class, but not very similar to Zlib. I guess some unification would be a good idea Smile

Honza
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38245 is a reply to message #38198] Fri, 07 December 2012 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Wed, 05 December 2012 10:00

Hi,

I looked at the lzma-sdk and think I can manage this, so I took the ticket.

mirek wrote on Mon, 03 December 2012 15:23

Just for clarification, by zlib interface you mean Zlib class or the (G)ZCompress/(G)ZDecompress functions, or both? I was also looking at bz2 and zip plugins, and they are each different... Bz2 is just Compress/Decompress functions, while zip is a class, but not very similar to Zlib. I guess some unification would be a good idea Smile

Honza

plugin/zip is somewhat different as it deals with .zip file format rather than compression (which is provided by zlib).

bz2 should have the same interface as zlib (but does not yet).

Mirek
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38315 is a reply to message #38245] Sun, 09 December 2012 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
omari is currently offline  omari
Experienced Member
Hi all,

in the attached, a set of functions LzmaCompress/LzmaDecompress and a test package (lzma algorithm support).

I think the rest is:
- 7z file format management.
- lzma2 algorithm support

Best regards,
Omari

• Attachment: Lzma.7z
    (Size: 35.95KB, Downloaded 302 times)

regards
omari.
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38331 is a reply to message #38315] Mon, 10 December 2012 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Omari,

You came up with pretty much the same code as me Smile The only difference is that you included some unnecessary files, some of which are windows only so I can't even compile your package. You only need a few of them: Types.h, LzFind.{c,h}, LzHash.h,LzmaDec.{c,h} and LzmaEnc.{c,h}. That stuff is easy.

Implementing the nice zlib-like interface is harder. I can do it for decompression, but compression interface of lzma lacks the push data variant that is necessary for Put() interface we want. So far I couldn't come up with an elegant way to compress data incrementally.

Honza
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38335 is a reply to message #38331] Tue, 11 December 2012 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
omari is currently offline  omari
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

you are right, i have tested on Win32 only, and i have noticed that Thread.{c,h} is windows only.

the files Lzma2Dec.{c,h} and Lzma2Enc.{c,h} are needed for 7z file format, (Lzma2Compress/Lzma2Deompress).

regards,
Omari

regards
omari.
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38337 is a reply to message #38335] Tue, 11 December 2012 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

omari wrote on Tue, 11 December 2012 12:19

the files Lzma2Dec.{c,h} and Lzma2Enc.{c,h} are needed for 7z file format, (Lzma2Compress/Lzma2Deompress).

Sure, but your pacakge wasn't using them at all, so that is why I called them unnecessary Smile

BTW: I finished the decompression part of the Lzma class, today I hope to get the compression working as well. It'll have to be pretty low-level, basically reimplementing some of the lzma internal functions, but I see no better way to allow the desired level of user control. I'll publish the code as soon the compression is ready and the code gets first round of cleaning up, hopefully in next couple of days.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38840 is a reply to message #37769] Tue, 22 January 2013 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Any progress in this?
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38841 is a reply to message #38840] Wed, 23 January 2013 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

lectus wrote on Tue, 22 January 2013 22:55

Any progress in this?

Hi lectus,

Sorry for the delay... I've been quite busy lately. The code is working, but there is some nasty bug that only happens in release mode and I was not yet able to figure out why Sad

I'll publish the code tonight, perhaps if more people look at it, someone will figure out what's wrong Smile

Thanks for patience,

Honza
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38847 is a reply to message #37769] Wed, 23 January 2013 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi,

I just committed the work I've done so far into sandbox. Short example showing how simple it is to work with the new Lzma class is available as well.

It would be IMHO quite usable, if there wasn't this nasty bug I mentioned earlier that causes it to crash when compiled in Optimal mode :-/ Any help with that will be greatly appreciated...

Best reagards,
Honza
Re: Feature request: Add LZMA SDK to U++ [message #38858 is a reply to message #38847] Thu, 24 January 2013 18:39 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

I have good news and bad news...

Good news is that the crash in optimal mode is now fixed and it works as supposed. The silly me forgot that ASSERTs are not present in production code... Embarassed

Bad news is that I found another bug. Sometimes, one more null byte is added to the decompressed data. I'm not sure yet how it is possible, but I will try to solve it ASAP.

Honza
Previous Topic: Running a CtrlLib application "headless"
Next Topic: [FIXED] Wrong SizeVert icon on KDE desktop.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:02:21 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01402 seconds