Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » ArrayCtrl, HeaderCtrl & GridCtrl » ArrayCtrl vs GridCtrl
ArrayCtrl vs GridCtrl [message #38214] Fri, 07 December 2012 02:59 Go to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
What's the difference? When to use one and when to use the other?

[Updated on: Fri, 07 December 2012 02:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ArrayCtrl vs GridCtrl [message #38249 is a reply to message #38214] Fri, 07 December 2012 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

I like GridCtrl for:
simple API;
cells structure;
header cells as standard cells;
may have any Display for header cells;
it have nice mini-toolbar (very customized),

But forum say, that ArrayCtrl is little bit faster.
and ArrayCtrl have full documentation.

PS
Maybe ArrayCtrl is have same features, but it's API is not transparent. Not same as in GridCtrl.

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}
Re: ArrayCtrl vs GridCtrl [message #38251 is a reply to message #38249] Fri, 07 December 2012 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Take a look at: http://digitalsoftware.pl/dgs.php?page=upp&sub=grid
In the beginning ArrayCtrl had less features than today. I decided to write my own control then but even now it has more features that ArrayCtrl. The only noticeable difference is lack of virtual rows in gridctrl. Inside grid is simply a Vector<Vector<Value>> and grid ctrl is quite well optimized to display it. ArrayCtrl can be faster if you use conveners for columns because it uses some kind of cache. However in most cases I had never performance issues (even if I loaded 500.000 rows on my athlon x2 machine.
And that's true that documentation is poor. There is few features nobody knows about because of that. I have to fix it Smile
Re: ArrayCtrl vs GridCtrl [message #38258 is a reply to message #38251] Sat, 08 December 2012 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

I'm ready to write some documentations, but my poor English..........

I can write in Russian. Then we need to edit and translate.

{
}
Re: ArrayCtrl vs GridCtrl [message #38280 is a reply to message #38258] Sat, 08 December 2012 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Sergey

I could help you to add doc to GridCtrl. I think that with simple English it is enough Very Happy .

I prefer to use GridCtrl... but when using very big data sets and when I need to include full controls inside rows.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: ArrayCtrl vs GridCtrl [message #38342 is a reply to message #38251] Tue, 11 December 2012 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
unodgs wrote on Fri, 07 December 2012 17:33

In the beginning ArrayCtrl had less features than today.

I believe it is possible to set custom Display, Converter, e.t.c. only for a column with ArrayCtrl. In case of GridCtrl you can do that for a particular cell.

I can be wrong.

Regards,
Novo
Re: ArrayCtrl vs GridCtrl [message #38345 is a reply to message #38280] Tue, 11 December 2012 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

koldo wrote on Sun, 09 December 2012 00:51

Hello Sergey

I could help you to add doc to GridCtrl. I think that with simple English it is enough Very Happy .

I prefer to use GridCtrl... but when using very big data sets and when I need to include full controls inside rows.

Problem is in that: I can translate to English existing text, but writing new request more deep English. Therefore I propose to write in Russian, and anybody translate this.

{
}
Re: ArrayCtrl vs GridCtrl [message #38354 is a reply to message #38345] Wed, 12 December 2012 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
sergeynikitin wrote on Tue, 11 December 2012 14:55

Problem is in that: I can translate to English existing text, but writing new request more deep English. Therefore I propose to write in Russian, and anybody translate this.

I can help you with that. No hard promises though.

Regards,
Novo
Re: ArrayCtrl vs GridCtrl [message #38365 is a reply to message #38354] Wed, 12 December 2012 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

Novo wrote on Wed, 12 December 2012 08:12

I can help you with that. No hard promises though.

OK! I'll try to write.

{
}
Re: ArrayCtrl vs GridCtrl [message #38551 is a reply to message #38214] Sun, 23 December 2012 10:09 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
lectus wrote on Thu, 06 December 2012 20:59

What's the difference? When to use one and when to use the other?

From my perspective, ArrayCtrl is more suitable as building block of other things, while GridCtrl is better as ready to use data grid.
Previous Topic: To set data in GridCtrl's Indicator
Next Topic: Autosizing GridCtrl columns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:33:33 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 1.06847 seconds