Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ MT-multithreading and servers » ARM threadind does not work
ARM threadind does not work [message #38426] Sat, 15 December 2012 11:00 Go to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hi all,

When compiling apps whith 'MT' falg set, the applications get stuck on a mutex:
#1  0x400bd138 in pthread_mutex_lock () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#2  0x001295e4 in Upp::Mutex::Enter (this=0x50803d) at /users/didier/upp/uppsrc/Core/Mt.h:305
#3  0x00129624 in Upp::Mutex::Lock::Lock (this=0xbeed4b0c, s=...) at /users/didier/upp/uppsrc/Core/Mt.h:353
u#4  0x002a23f4 in Upp::StaticMutex::Initialize (this=0x506118) at /users/didier/upp/uppsrc/Core/Mt.cpp:643
#5  0x00129550 in Upp::StaticMutex::Get (this=0x506118) at /users/didier/upp/uppsrc/Core/Mt.h:380
#6  0x00129580 in Upp::StaticMutex::operator Upp::Mutex& (this=0x506118) at /users/didier/upp/uppsrc/Core/Mt.h:381
#7  0x002e0800 in Upp::AddModule (l=0x3ffa50, name=0x0) at /users/didier/upp/uppsrc/Core/t.cpp:98
#8  0x0000fbb0 in Upp::LNG_MODULE00_fn () at /users/didier/upp/uppsrc/Core/t.h:211
#9  0x0000fc2c in Upp::Callinit::Callinit (this=0x4141dd, fn=0xfb98 <Upp::LNG_MODULE00_fn()>, cpp=0x3479e8 "/users/didier/upp/uppsrc/Core/t.h", line=202)
    at /users/didier/upp/uppsrc/Core/Defs.h:169
#10 0x0000fb18 in __static_initialization_and_destruction_0 (__initialize_p=1, __priority=65535) at /users/didier/upp/uppsrc/Core/t.h:202
#11 0x0000fb70 in global constructors keyed to CtrlLib.icpp(void) () at /users/didier/upp/uppsrc/CtrlLib/CtrlLib.icpp:20
#12 0x003474c0 in __libc_csu_init ()
#13 0x4043efb8 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
#14 0x0000e338 in _start ()

I will be looking into it this WE but if someone has any idea I would appreciate it.

Apparently it get's stuck when taking the mutex on function start:
void AddModule(const LngEntry__* l, const char *name)
{
	CriticalSection::Lock __(slng);   *********** HERE *************
	Array<LngModule>& ma = sMod();
	LngModule& m = ma.Add();
	m.name = name;
	Vector<LngRec> *lr = NULL;
	while(l->lang) {
		if(l->lang == 1) {
			CharS ids;
			ids.s = l->text;
			lr = &m.map.GetAdd(ids);
			LngRec& r = lr->Add();
			r.lang = LNG_('E','N','U','S');
			r.text = GetENUSc(l->text);
		}
		else
		if(l->text && *l->text) {
			LngRec& r = lr->Add();
			r.lang = l->lang;
			r.text = l->text;
		}
		l++;
	}
}
Re: ARM threadind does not work [message #38440 is a reply to message #38426] Sat, 15 December 2012 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Found one uninitialized variable:

Core/Mt.cpp L13 :
static Mutex& sMutexLock()
{
	static Mutex *section;   **** need's to be initialized to 0  ****
	if(!section) {
		static byte b[sizeof(Mutex)];
		section = new(b) Mutex;
	}
	return *section;
}

If section is not initialized to '0' : we can pray for the lazy initialisation to work properly

This correction, is yet not sufficient Sad

NB: I will furnish a complete patch when I'll get this running (if I succeed Confused )
Re: ARM threadind does not work [message #38443 is a reply to message #38440] Sat, 15 December 2012 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Ok, I found a correction,

The correction only shows where the problem is: incorrect management of 'sMutexLock' initialization by several threads at the same time
A clean correction is still to be found : I think a refactoring of StaticMutex will be necessary for this (the correction is only valid for POSIX systems)

This is not the first time Upp stumbles on the same problem : there is another case stated on the forum:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=159 98&&srch=sMutexLock#msg_15998

Core/Mt.cpp L14

BEFORE:
{
	static Mutex *section=0;
	if(!section) {
		section = new(b) Mutex;
	}
	return *section;
}

AFTER
static Mutex *_sMutexLock_section=0;
static void _sMutexLock()
{
	if(!_sMutexLock_section) {
		_sMutexLock_section = new(b) Mutex;
	}
}

{
	static pthread_once_t sMutexLock_is_initialized = PTHREAD_ONCE_INIT;
    (void) pthread_once(&sMutexLock_is_initialized, _sMutexLock);
	return *_sMutexLock_section;
}

[Updated on: Sat, 15 December 2012 22:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ARM threadind does not work [message #38461 is a reply to message #38443] Tue, 18 December 2012 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hoooo !

I forgot to precise:

The problem occurs on a gumstix overo (ARM cortex-A8) running the standard linux angström image.

But this bug will probably appear from time to time on other architectures / machines

[Updated on: Tue, 18 December 2012 21:46]

Re: ARM threadind does not work [message #38607 is a reply to message #38461] Fri, 28 December 2012 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
This is all somewhat weird.

{
	static Mutex *section;
	if(!section) {
		section = new(b) Mutex;
	}
	return *section;
}

INITBLOCK {
	sMutexLock();
}

First of all, static variables are by definition initialized to zero. Putting " = 0" IMO can result in creating race condition, as the setting this explicit zero might be postponed to the time sMutexLock is called for the first time.

Anyway, all of that is sort of irrelevant: As you can see, INITBLOCK should ensure that sMutexLock is called at least once before APP_MAIN starts, ergo it should be already initialized when the first thread has chance screw things up.

I would recommend placing some LOGs into the INITBLOCK, then into sMutexLock and at the start of APP_MAIN to find out what is really going on... (it is quite possible that INITBLOCK does not work as we wish, in that case it would be very good to know that in order to find some workarounds, as we depend on it a lot)

Mirek
Re: ARM threadind does not work [message #38608 is a reply to message #38607] Fri, 28 December 2012 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hy Mirek,

Quote:

First of all, static variables are by definition initialized to zero.

While this is true when compiling in debug mode, it is not true with all compilers when compiled with O2 or O3 so I'm used to not counting on the default init of variables

Quote:

IMO can result in creating race condition, as the setting this explicit zero might be postponed to the time sMutexLock is called for the first time.

For me static vars are initialised a exe startup (before app starts) and if there could be a race condition then the code can not work properlly ( see pthread man and the reason of pthread_once_t existence )

Quote:

Anyway, all of that is sort of irrelevant: As you can see, INITBLOCK should ensure that sMutexLock is called at least once before APP_MAIN starts, ergo it should be already initialized when the first thread has chance screw things up.

That's what i also thought when first ran into the bug (so when I saw the inititalisation problem, I thought I had solutionned the problem ... but that was not the case Sad ), but after some reading and trying pthread_once_t the issue was corrected.

I agree that this bug has to find a valid correction (my pacth only deals with one use of StaticMutex ... there are others.

I didn't try to debug the internals for now (lack of time).
I'll try to do it next week.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 December 2012 14:46]

Re: ARM threadind does not work [message #38630 is a reply to message #38608] Mon, 31 December 2012 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Didier wrote on Fri, 28 December 2012 08:40

Hy Mirek,

Quote:

First of all, static variables are by definition initialized to zero.

While this is true when compiling in debug mode, it is not true with all compilers when compiled with O2 or O3 so I'm used to not counting on the default init of variables

C++ Standard.
3.6.2 Initialization of non-local objects
1 Objects with static storage duration (3.7.1) shall be zero-initialized (8.5) before any other initialization takes place.

Regards,
Novo
Re: ARM threadind does not work [message #38633 is a reply to message #38630] Mon, 31 December 2012 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hi Novo,

Quote:

C++ Standard.
3.6.2 Initialization of non-local objects
1 Objects with static storage duration (3.7.1) shall be zero-initialized (8.5) before any other initialization takes place.

OK, I didn't know that, thank's
At work we often use C (not C++) for embedded products, and we run into this problem every day.
Re: ARM threadind does not work [message #38635 is a reply to message #38633] Mon, 31 December 2012 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zbych is currently offline  Zbych
Even plain old ANSI C requires initialization of static variables, so I guess you are another satisfied user of Microchip PIC compilers? Smile
Re: ARM threadind does not work [message #38650 is a reply to message #38635] Tue, 01 January 2013 10:55 Go to previous message
Contributor
Quote:

Even plain old ANSI C requires initialization of static variables, so I guess you are another satisfied user of Microchip PIC compilers?

Nop, not at all.
I work with big systems using different OS Linux/VxWorks C/C++ GCC but what I did not say clearly enough is that initialising vars is a good habit (whether they are static or not).
Previous Topic: TcpSocket issues on XP but not on Win7?
Next Topic: Redirect - possibly another Skylark bug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:41:15 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02587 seconds