FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Using DLI files on Windows
icon5.gif  Using DLI files on Windows [message #38509] Fri, 21 December 2012 06:49 Go to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
It is possible that a DLL exports a name (I can see it in dependency walker) but a call to this function crashes, because, I believe, a stub points to a NULL pointer.

Is there a way in Windows to tell that although function's name is exported it cannot be called?

I have a real world example: OpenCL.dll that supports only OpenCL v.1.1 exports function clRetainDevice, which is defined in OpenCL v.1.2. Call to this function crashes, no wonder why.

TIA

Regards,
Novo
Re: Using DLI files on Windows [message #38549 is a reply to message #38509] Sun, 23 December 2012 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, in that dli struct, functions are represented as member variable pointers, so you can check the existence before making call.

In any case, I do not think that mere NOP instead of missing function is a good idea in most places (say the function is supposed to return a handle that you use downstream in your code, it would cause havoc).

Mirek
Re: Using DLI files on Windows [message #38557 is a reply to message #38549] Sun, 23 December 2012 14:46 Go to previous message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Sun, 23 December 2012 03:56

Well, in that dli struct, functions are represented as member variable pointers, so you can check the existence before making call.

In any case, I do not think that mere NOP instead of missing function is a good idea in most places (say the function is supposed to return a handle that you use downstream in your code, it would cause havoc).

Mirek

Thanks. I did check a member for NULL pointer. It looks like this dll is just a proxy to other dlls and I should check version of API instead of a pointer to function because call to clRetainDevice doesn't crash with Intel platform an does crash with NVIDIA although they implement the same version of this API ...

I tried to check content of IMAGE_EXPORT_DIRECTORY.AddressOfFunctions. But everything seemed to be fine.

Sorry for false alarm.

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: size_t or int in 64 bits
Next Topic: Repeatable crash
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:36:23 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01472 seconds