Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » why no virtual destructor for RegExp?
why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #38795] Sat, 19 January 2013 06:22 Go to next message
navi is currently offline  navi
Experienced Member
I was thinking of extending the RegExp class of the pcre plugin and implementing a ReplaceMatch() for it. Sort of like a replica of preg_replace() of php or String.Replace() of javascript. However while digging through RegExp I realize that RegExp doesn't have a virtual destructor! So there are no safe ways of extending RegExp class other-then to use private inheritance, composition or free-functions instead. In other word, extending RegExp safely is not possible!?

Regards
navi

Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #38800 is a reply to message #38795] Sat, 19 January 2013 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
You are right. I think the author considers RegExp to be "sealed". Your contract is with public interface only.

Mirek
Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #38801 is a reply to message #38800] Sat, 19 January 2013 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
mirek wrote on Sat, 19 January 2013 12:03

You are right. I think the author considers RegExp to be "sealed". Your contract is with public interface only.

Mirek

Thanks Mirek. Sad I guess I better get started with writing my own RegExp class then.

Regards
Navi
Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #38802 is a reply to message #38800] Sat, 19 January 2013 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Sat, 19 January 2013 12:03

Mirek

Hi guys,

What about updating the RegExp class? I personally would like it if it had ReplaceMatch(). As long as the addition doesn't break backward compatibility I don't see any reason not to add it. The class is definitely not 'sealed' for this, I remember adding the Study() method to it a while ago Wink

Navi, would you mind contributing your code to U++? Smile

Best regards,
Honza
Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #38804 is a reply to message #38802] Sat, 19 January 2013 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
dolik.rce wrote on Sat, 19 January 2013 13:19

Navi, would you mind contributing your code to U++? Smile

Best regards,
Honza

Not at all. Embarassed Very Happy let me get cracking. lets see if my codes is up to the u++ standers or not. will post the code here asap.

Thanks & Regards
navi.

*off-topic any thoughts on this and this?

[Updated on: Sat, 19 January 2013 13:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #38887 is a reply to message #38795] Fri, 25 January 2013 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi All,

Just an update what I am up to so far. I manage to code a replica of preg_replace of php. due to the difference in nature of variable type, I had to almost 4 overloaded function to match all the things "preg_replace" can do in a single function definition.

//===================================================================================
//        My Extension to RegExp
//===================================================================================

protected:	
	bool ReplacePos(String& t, int p, int q, const String r);
	int  Replace0(String& t, Vector<String>& rv, const int& rv_count, int& offset);
	Vector<String> ResolveBackRef(Vector<String>& rv);	
	Vector<String> Make_rv(const String& r);

public:	

int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, Vector<String>& rv, const String pattern=Null, bool backref=false); //DONE
	int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, Vector<String>& rv, int offset, const String pattern=Null, bool backref=false); //DONE

int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, const String r, const String pattern=Null, bool backref=false); //DONE
	int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, const String r, int offset, const String pattern=Null, bool backref=false); //DONE

int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, Callback cbr, const String pattern=Null, bool backref=false); // NOT YET
	int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, Callback cbr, int offset, const String pattern=Null, bool backref=false); //NOT YET

My plan is to implement 6 flavor of ReplaceGlobal() and 6 flavor of Replace(). all based on how replace text or callback function are given.

replace text can either be given as single String in Parentheses format just like a regular expression. ie (replace_a)(replace_b)(replace_c). Or can be given a vector containing three Strings. Also callback function can be passed in place of replace texts.

regexp pattern can also be given as argument. instead of setting it using SetPattern()

backref = is a on/off switch for resolving/expanding back reference given in replace text as /1, /2, /3 etc. where the number is the number of the match string cough by the regexp pattern.

Thanks & Regards
Navi

[Updated on: Mon, 28 January 2013 06:52]

Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #38888 is a reply to message #38795] Fri, 25 January 2013 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Screen Cap.

index.php?t=getfile&id=4041&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 28 January 2013 06:56]

Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #38889 is a reply to message #38888] Fri, 25 January 2013 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Navi

IMHO the pattern parameter should not be there, it is kind of confusing and against the whole idea that RegExp object represents the regexp pattern. If you want to have a chance to specify the replace pattern a separate global function might be better for this... It could use the RegExp object internaly, so it's not much work for you Smile

Quote:

int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, const String r, const String pattern=Null, bool backref=false); //DONE
	int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, const String r, int offset, const String pattern=Null, bool backref=false); //DONE

Why not simply
	int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, const String r, offset=0, bool backref=false);
... and similar for the vector and callback variant. It would make the interface simpler, without reducing its capabilities.

Note: The above is not any official requirement, just my ideas and opinions Wink

Honza

Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #38890 is a reply to message #38889] Fri, 25 January 2013 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

PS: I forgot... About the returning, I think it is okay to modify the referenced string. If necessary it should be simple to add a another method with separate string for output, that would not modify the input.
Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #38891 is a reply to message #38889] Fri, 25 January 2013 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Quote:

IMHO the pattern parameter should not be there, it is kind of confusing and against the whole idea that RegExp object represents the regexp pattern. If you want to have a chance to specify the replace pattern a separate global function might be better for this... It could use the RegExp object internally, so it's not much work for you

You are right. I think its best to get rid of pattern from arguments. Actually I was trying to match preg_replace style. which is not particularly suited for regexp class.

Quote:

Why not simply
int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, const String r, offset=0, bool backref=false);

well you see, the functions Match() and GlobalMatch() has no option for offset. in order for offset to work I had to device my own function using Execute(). however then I realize if written using GlobalMatch() even-though no option for offset, but it is much more solid and more compatible then to my own version with offset. now I wanted to have the best of both hence two different function and not option=0 as default value. I believe we can still mimic the default value effect if we write the following:

int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, const String r, bool backref=false);
	int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, const String r, offset, bool backref=false);

essentially if offset is not given then the function using GlobalMatch() will be called. if offset given, then the version using Execute() will be called instead. or perhaps drop the whole idea of starting offset, like the author of Match() and GlobalMatch()? I cant get my head around function GlobalMatch(). if I could understand it fully, then I can rewrite the exact thing using Execute() alone and we then could have one function for like you pointed out.

Quote:

PS: I forgot... About the returning, I think it is okay to modify the referenced string. If necessary it should be simple to add a another method with separate string for output, that would not modify the input.

I agree, I have no problem doing either way. the only issue being if we wish to return the output text then, we will have 2 return values, 1: the replace count, 2: the output text. one of which have to go, or go in to function argument as reference variable.

Thanks for all your help & pointers.
Regards
Navi

[Updated on: Fri, 25 January 2013 21:09]

Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #38892 is a reply to message #38891] Fri, 25 January 2013 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Btw, there is a quite nice looking C++ wrapper around PCRE by Google. You might find some good inspiration in there Wink

Honza
Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #38928 is a reply to message #38795] Mon, 28 January 2013 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
DONE. Very Happy

Final Interface. Got rid of pattern and offset. 3 flavors of each. Also updated the demo, see updated screen cap above.

int  Replace(String& t, Vector<String>& rv, bool backref=false); //DONE
int  Replace(String& t, const String r, bool backref=false); //DONE
int  Replace(String& t, Callback1<Vector<String>&> cbr); //DONE

int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, Vector<String>& rv, bool backref=false); //DONE
int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, const String r, bool backref=false); //DONE
int  ReplaceGlobal(String& t, Callback1<Vector<String>&> cbr); //DONE

Callback works in same fashion as in U++ Menu and Bar. User writes a callback function with void return and "Vector<String>& v" argument. And uses the THISBACK macro to pass it to Replace() or ReplaceGlobal(). Inside the match_callback_fun() user gets a vector already populated with all the matches. any changes made to the vector will be reflected in the source string 't'.

void match_callback_fun(Vector<String>& v){
}

regx.Replace(t, THISBACK(match_callback_fun));
regx.ReplaceGlobal(t, THISBACK(match_callback_fun));

Rolling Eyes
Regards
Navi

[Updated on: Wed, 20 February 2013 00:41]

Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #39151 is a reply to message #38928] Tue, 19 February 2013 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
After minor fixes in the interface (const added where possible, const String -> const String&), I have applied your changes to plugin/pcre.

Thanks for contribution.

Mirek
Re: why no virtual destructor for RegExp? [message #39154 is a reply to message #39151] Wed, 20 February 2013 00:23 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
Thank you very much for the fixes Mirek. Also many thanks for making it part of upp plugin/pcre. Really appreciate that you guys have made such an elegant framework as UPP and made it freely available to all. Smile

Thanks & Regards
navi
Previous Topic: Details when compiling in 64 bits
Next Topic: Wanted: OpenGL for gtk+ backend
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:19:58 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02392 seconds