Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems » UI window threading problem
UI window threading problem [message #39790] Sun, 28 April 2013 22:28 Go to next message
crydev is currently offline  crydev
Experienced Member
Hello,

I ran into a problem that I initially fixed, but I'm not convinced that there isn't a better way of solving it. My problem is as following.

I have a main window that is capable of opening another window that runs non-modal above the main window, meaning the main window is not clickable nor focusable while the opened window is still opened. The non-modal window enables the user to select parameters for a memory scan, and by clicking OK the memory scan has to be started. The problem I ran into in the first place was that I had to be able to make the non-modal window access a function in the main window. That isn't too hard to fix, but the next problem is, that the non-modal window keeps on top, non-responsive, until the memory scan that is started is finished. My fix to that problem was creating a new thread that started the memory scan, in order to keep any possible piece of UI responsive. Downside: I had many exceptions that were very hard to find, due to the threading between the UI parts.

Now that I all fixed it, I wonder: isn't there a better solution to achieve the non-modal window to be closed, without the need of a thread?

Thanks in advance!

crydev
Re: UI window threading problem [message #39791 is a reply to message #39790] Mon, 29 April 2013 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sender Ghost is currently offline  Sender Ghost
Hello, Crydev.
crydev wrote on Sun, 28 April 2013 22:28

Now that I all fixed it, I wonder: isn't there a better solution to achieve the non-modal window to be closed, without the need of a thread?

The simple answer is using of PostCallback before closing non-modal window:
void DoingScan()
{
	// Doing some scanning
	Sleep(1000);
}

void Window::OnOK()
{
	PostCallback(callback(DoingScan));
	Close();
}

But after the reconstruction of what you did, I came to the following solution:
Toggle Spoiler

Where you have access to the contents of the non-modal window after closing it, while run the scanning process on the right exit code.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 April 2013 12:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: UI window threading problem [message #39794 is a reply to message #39791] Mon, 29 April 2013 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crydev is currently offline  crydev
Experienced Member
Thanks a lot Sender Ghost! I used the solution you gave and it works very well. It is even less error prone now. Although I still had to start the scan on another thread to keep the UI responsive, but that thread could be started from the main window, which is perfect. Smile
Re: UI window threading problem [message #39795 is a reply to message #39794] Mon, 29 April 2013 12:52 Go to previous message
Sender Ghost is currently offline  Sender Ghost
Actually, there are more solutions, like using ProcessEvents between iterations of your algorithm(s) or even using "Alternative Multithreading" by Pavel Ostapenko.
Previous Topic: Scrolling ArrayCtrl with Ctrls
Next Topic: How to disable mouse cursor application wide ??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:06:16 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01056 seconds