Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Time::Set(int64 scalar) unexpected results
Time::Set(int64 scalar) unexpected results [message #40730] Tue, 10 September 2013 20:14 Go to next message
Alboni is currently offline  Alboni
Experienced Member
This is about

void Date::Set(int scalar)
Assign a date that is stored in the numeric scalar.

and

void Time::Set(int64 scalar)
Assign a time that is stored in the numeric scalar.

When I assign a unix time with Time::Set, the year is 43 instead of 2013. The origin of that problem seems to be in Date::Set(int scalar)

Is this a bug or is the Upp timesystem not starting in 1970 but in the year 0? scalar values obtained from Time::Get() do work.

I fixed it in my program like this (for now) :
int64 unixtime = ..........
Time timestamp;
time.Set(unixtime);
time.year+=1970;

What would be the correct way to import a unix time?

[Updated on: Tue, 10 September 2013 20:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Time::Set(int64 scalar) unexpected results [message #40731 is a reply to message #40730] Tue, 10 September 2013 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Little test: See http://www.unixtimestamp.com/index.php for times

#include <Core/Core.h>
#include <time.h>

using namespace Upp;

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
	time_t scalar = time(0); // seconds since 1/1/1970 00:00:00
	Time back;
	back.Set(scalar);

Cout() << "The time is: " << asctime(localtime(&scalar)) << "\n"; // oldskool functions
	Cout() << "Scalar = " << scalar << "\n";
	Cout() << "Converted back = " << back << "\n";
}

[Updated on: Tue, 10 September 2013 20:55]

Re: Time::Set(int64 scalar) unexpected results [message #40732 is a reply to message #40730] Tue, 10 September 2013 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Alboni,

That is not a bug, it is just how the Time in U++ is designed. Unix timestamp is 32bit number, describing times from 1.1.1970 to someday in 2038. U++ Time works for dates from 4000 B.C. to 4000 A.D. if I remember correctly.

Maybe there is an explicit method to convert the timestamp to Time that I don't know about... But AFAIK the simplest way (at least on POSIX) is to use FileTime, which is just a wrapper around time_t.

So you should be able to do
Time t = FileTime(timestamp);

Another possible solution, that should IMHO work correctly even on windows, could be something like
const Time epoch(1970,1,1);
Time t;
t.Set(epoch.Get()+timestamp);

Best regards,
Honza

PS: You're right about U++ intentionally using year 0 as a center point for time. As it uses signed type, it allows for both negative and positive values so it can accurately represent about 8000 years timespan.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 September 2013 20:55]

Re: Time::Set(int64 scalar) unexpected results [message #40733 is a reply to message #40730] Tue, 10 September 2013 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
time_t can be both 32 or 64 bit

and the rest work ok. just not the year.
Re: Time::Set(int64 scalar) unexpected results [message #40734 is a reply to message #40733] Tue, 10 September 2013 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Thanks Honza.
Re: Time::Set(int64 scalar) unexpected results [message #40735 is a reply to message #40733] Tue, 10 September 2013 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Alboni wrote on Tue, 10 September 2013 20:54

time_t can be both 32 or 64 bit
Yes, it is implementation defined. It doesn't even have to start at 1970 Smile :
http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/chrono/time_t

Arithmetic type capable of representing times.
Although not defined, this is almost always a integral value holding the number of seconds (not counting leap seconds) since 00:00, Jan 1 1970 UTC, corresponding to POSIX time.
So it would be safer not to rely on it too much, especially if you want the app to be platform independent.

Alboni wrote on Tue, 10 September 2013 20:54

and the rest work ok. just not the year.
All the years are quite similar, unless it is a leap year. I'd say that just changing the year after using Time::Set() with timestamp might mess up something due to the complex rules of leap days (see Date::Set(int64) to get an idea how complex this stuff is Wink ).

Honza

[Updated on: Tue, 10 September 2013 21:04]

Re: Time::Set(int64 scalar) unexpected results [message #40736 is a reply to message #40730] Wed, 11 September 2013 01:25 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
Yeah, I changed the fix into your example.

I know it's tricky stuff, but doable with some logic thinking. I had the pleasure of spending the whole summer of 1998 changing time related routines in all kinds of alarm related software in olskool C and C++ on Sco Unix 5 and Windows 95 for the company I worked for back then. The boss didn't want to wait till the next year to fix all the millennium bugs stuff. The software packages used something like 6 formats to store time, some of wich relied on bugs to work properly. I ended up writing a new library for it. (and fix hundreds of pointer errors, in the process just because I happened to see them when fixing the time stuff)
Previous Topic: Core/SSL change to let MinGW
Next Topic: Binary file to JSON
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:45:51 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01068 seconds