Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ Webs: Functioning, Layout , Design, Features and Structure of these forums, homepage etc. » Uppweb 2.0
Uppweb 2.0 [message #42772] Wed, 02 April 2014 23:25 Go to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi everyone...

About a year ago, I briefly played with an idea of uppweb (the app that currently generates this website) based on Skylark. Back then, I implemented most of it but didn't have enough time to finish it. Today I remembered and decided to give it last few touches to make it publishable Smile

It is still just a proof of concept, showing what can Skylark do. And it can do a lot Wink The basic idea is the same as with the old uppweb, web pages are generated from T++ documents. The difference is that in the new version it is done in real-time, while the old one was generating static html files which were served by average Apache server. Generating html on the fly might seem slow, but it brings couple nice features, like having the updated documentation available online much sooner, or only creating pages that are actually visited by someone.

On a decent hardware, the new uppweb can serve the pages fast enough so you won't see any difference. I have also added a package providing simple LRU cache for the served content, to speed up things a little. It is actually pretty generic and could be used also in any other skylark app (but beware: there might by MT issues, synchronization is currently missing - but should be easy to add). And if that wasn't enough, one can always use a caching proxy Smile

Also, there are few more features that I was missing with the old uppweb:
- The urls are nicer: /topic/ide/app/GettingStarted vs. /app$ide$GettingStarted$en-us.html
- The internationalization is cookie based, so you won't get to back to English every time you navigate out of the translated part of the website.
- The code should be slightly simpler and easier to modify.
- The website look is now witz a template, so it should be easier to work with.

I attach a zip archive with two packages (to by placed in your MyApps directory) and a small patch that must be applied to Skylark. It should be easy to get it to work, you'll only need to change srcdir in uppweb/Main.cpp (line 12) to point to trunk of upp repository.

Let me know what you think... If there is enough interest, I might even try to finish it Smile There is a lot of code that was directly copied from the old uppweb and that should be refactored, some backward compatibility should be added and probably few more little tasks would have to be done. But it might be worth the work, it would be good advertisement for U++ if the site was served by Skylark Wink

Best regards,
Honza
  • Attachment: uppweb.zip
    (Size: 30.25KB, Downloaded 392 times)
Re: Uppweb 2.0 [message #53469 is a reply to message #42772] Sat, 04 April 2020 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
Dear dolik.rce:

Could you kindly update your zip file to accommodate to possible changes to Skylark afterwards?

As I try to compile it, I was prompted that GetResponseCode, GetResponseCodeText, and GetURI are not memebes of class Http.

Thank you!

[Updated on: Sat, 04 April 2020 23:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Uppweb 2.0 [message #53470 is a reply to message #42772] Sat, 04 April 2020 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Hello Dolik, when trying to compile on Windows, I got this error :
https://i.imgur.com/QVoacvu.png
Re: Uppweb 2.0 [message #53479 is a reply to message #42772] Sun, 05 April 2020 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Wed, 02 April 2014 23:25
- The internationalization is cookie based, so you won't get to back to English every time you navigate out of the translated part of the website.

While technically correct, I have dropped internationalization some time ago - the idea that we can maintain it long term at this point is sci-fi.

Hint: Most much more popular OSS projects like boost.org are not internationalised either. Obviously, it buys you nothing and costs a lot.

And using cookies means having that nasty GDPR prompt.

Mirek
Re: Uppweb 2.0 [message #53480 is a reply to message #42772] Sun, 05 April 2020 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Wow, where did this sudden interest in a dead forum thread from almost exactly 6 years ago come from? Smile

It was just a proof of concept, never put in real-world use. I don't even remember how it worked and I have no idea how many things changed in Skylark and U++ in general in those past six years. I'm not using U++ for the last few years Smile I actually don't even use C++ much these days, my work shifted mainly to bash and Kotlin lately...

So it might be actually easier for you to fix the broken parts than it would be for me Wink I have glanced over the contents of the zip file and it seems there is nothing particularly tricky.

Quote:
As I try to compile it, I was prompted that GetResponseCode, GetResponseCodeText, and GetURI are not memebes of class Http.

Those three functions were actually never in Skylark. They are in the Skylark.patch file in the zip archive and must be applied to uppsrc/Skylark/Http.h, as described in the original post.

Best regards,
Honza

Re: Uppweb 2.0 [message #53482 is a reply to message #53479] Sun, 05 April 2020 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Sun, 05 April 2020 13:16

While technically correct, I have dropped internationalization some time ago - the idea that we can maintain it long term at this point is sci-fi.

Hint: Most much more popular OSS projects like boost.org are not internationalised either. Obviously, it buys you nothing and costs a lot.

Yes, in case of U++ this is definitely true. For small, commercial project, this might be useful.

This is not true. Language preference is not considered to be personal data and storing it in cookie is not considered to be tracking. Believe me, I work in advertisment and implementing GDPR makes about 40% of my work Very Happy
Re: Uppweb 2.0 [message #53483 is a reply to message #53482] Sun, 05 April 2020 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Sun, 05 April 2020 14:26

Yes, in case of U++ this is definitely true. For small, commercial project, this might be useful.

This is not true. Language preference is not considered to be personal data and storing it in cookie is not considered to be tracking. Believe me, I work in advertisment and implementing GDPR makes about 40% of my work Very Happy

Cool, good to know.

Using skylark for website is really really tempting. Actually, using it for anything is tempting, makes me sort of sad that it has so little audience...

But right now, it is really not priority I am afraid. There is a ton of things to do first, I still hope to release next version this month. Also, actual redesign of website would be great; I feel like it is now quite bloated, e.g. compared to that boost.org page. I would like to have more clear facts instead of tons of bad english noise texts and decorations... Smile

BTW, how would you feel about writing something about Skylark for e.g. CodeProject?

Mirek
Re: Uppweb 2.0 [message #53484 is a reply to message #53483] Sun, 05 April 2020 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Wow, at first I have just seen April 02, so expected this to be last week's message. Only now I see it is from 2014 Smile

Mirek
Re: Uppweb 2.0 [message #53485 is a reply to message #53484] Sun, 05 April 2020 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
mirek wrote on Sun, 05 April 2020 17:00
Wow, at first I have just seen April 02, so expected this to be last week's message. Only now I see it is from 2014 Smile

Mirek

yeah I'have been surprised too Very Happy

To speak about skylark, this technology really interrest me to create my own website. This example provided by Dolik, is a good step to jump in !
Re: Uppweb 2.0 [message #53486 is a reply to message #53484] Sun, 05 April 2020 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Sun, 05 April 2020 17:00

Mirek

Yep, it's really old. Today I don't remember almost anything about skylark Smile But it is a cool technology, I wrote a few webs with it and it felt quite natural and simple.
Re: Uppweb 2.0 [message #53487 is a reply to message #53486] Sun, 05 April 2020 23:47 Go to previous message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
Thank you, Dolik.

Yes, Skylark should get more attention. That's why decent and more complete examples are needed to help grasp the tool.
Previous Topic: "Coding style" Link Is a Topic:// Link In Documentation
Next Topic: Download page: proposal
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:56:28 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01667 seconds