Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » [TASK] Linux tar distribution should have someting like configure script
icon5.gif  [TASK] Linux tar distribution should have someting like configure script [message #43449] Sun, 03 August 2014 16:04 Go to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

In current Upp GNU/Linux tar distribution we have makefile which biggest drawback is that it works in single CPU mode. Therefore, the compilation on multicore environment is relatively slow. So, why don't include "mkfile" and corresponding "configure" file which main goal is to generate makefile for the current machine?

The compilation path should look like this:
configure
make

Instead of simply make command.

At the end I would like to ask, what do you guys think about this solution?

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Re: [TASK] Linux tar distribution should have someting like configure script [message #43452 is a reply to message #43449] Sun, 03 August 2014 19:29 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Klugier,

I wouldn't mind if U++ tarball behaved in more standard way, as you suggest.

The parallel compilation is actually easy to achieve even without configure script, we'd just have to add something like "-j$(echo /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu[0-9] | wc -w || echo 1)" to the make invocation that compiles theide. But in general, there is quite a few things that would benefit from having proper configure script.

For example, I'd love to be able to do things like
./configure --disable-gtk
to compile theide with NOGTK flag.

Also, supporting properly --prefix option would be great. Current behavior of installing into $HOME is, diplomatically said, faaaaar away from expectations of any user who ever used make to build something from source.

Not even mentioning the fact that if this is done correctly, it might save me a lot of work with the packaging Smile

I know that some of the "features" of current makefile (and related scripts) are result of Mireks attempts to support as many platforms as possible, mainly to keep things working on BSD systems. But it would be actually easier and probably better if it was done within the configure script.

So, to answer your final question: Yes, I think it is a good idea. And I'm willing to help Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Previous Topic: UWord class: link problem
Next Topic: Different file versions among build methods
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:16:40 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01638 seconds