Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Latest TheIDE builds fail to execute under FreeBSD
Latest TheIDE builds fail to execute under FreeBSD [message #43560] Mon, 01 September 2014 00:45 Go to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

I have rather old version of TheIDE (oct'2013) running under FreeBSD 9.
After updating sources to latest build 7629, I've tried to rebuild TheIDE.
New executable fails to start with message:
Quote:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Upp::LoadingError'

After renaming ~/.upp/theide directory, TheIDE starts with 'Initial setting wizard'. Acfter setting 'Manual' sources management, I recreate sources assembly for work projects. Opening any existing package again leads to TheIDE crash with message:
Quote:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Upp::Parser::Error'

Trying to create new project in the newly created assembly leads to TheIDE crash with the same error message.

Is there any idea how to make TheIDE work, or should I use debugger to help fixing this bug?

P.S. Please feel free to move this topic to any suitable subforum.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 September 2014 00:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Latest TheIDE builds fail to execute under FreeBSD [message #43561 is a reply to message #43560] Mon, 01 September 2014 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Mindtraveller,

The first error was probably caused by out-of-date format of files in .upp/theide/cfg, it happened to me in past too. You correctly fixed that by renaming the directory and creating new setup.

As for the second error, I'd have a wild guess that the setup wizard might have generated wrong content in the assembly files. Can you inspect ~/upp/theide/*.var and check if you see something wrong? By the way, it should be safe to copy the *.var files from your previous installation into this new one, so you don't have to set everything up again. Also if there is problem with the files, copying the old ones should help.

If all else fails, debugger is your friend Smile At least knowing which function throws the exception would help a lot.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Latest TheIDE builds fail to execute under FreeBSD [message #43648 is a reply to message #43560] Wed, 17 September 2014 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sender Ghost is currently offline  Sender Ghost
Hello, Pavel.

Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 31 August 2014 22:45
I have rather old version of TheIDE (oct'2013) running under FreeBSD 9.
After updating sources to latest build 7629, I've tried to rebuild TheIDE.
New executable fails to start

The TheIDE uses -O3 optimization level for GCC builder in case of "Optimize for speed" option, which also used for Optimal build mode. In my experience, the -O3 optimization level could cause runtime errors. I think, you could try to build with Size build mode or change -O3 to -O2 for GCC build method.

Currently, I run FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p9 amd64 version. For purpose of testing, I created devel/upp-nightly port, based on devel/upp. It uses Nightly builds source archives, with some development changes (like depending on devel/libexecinfo) from stable version. I created a package with using poudriere on FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p2 amd64 clean environment.

I think, if first method doesn't work, you could try to build devel/upp-nightly port (e.g. by using make or portmaster: portmaster -Bd devel/upp-nightly). It may install necessary dependencies. Also you could try to use already built package, in case of amd64 version (but you might need to install pkg and convert package database to use *.txz package format): pkg add upp-nightly-7697.txz).

If mentioned methods doesn't work, you could try to use newer GCC version (e.g. current default 4.8 version), by adding USE_GCC=yes (USE_GCC=4.8) or changing CC, CXX, etc. values for /etc/make.conf file. You might need to update current ports (e.g. by using portsnap command: portsnap fetch update) to build it (but take a look at /usr/ports/UPDATING file about changes for currently installed software). Remember to comment out USE_GCC line after building of the devel/upp-nightly port, if you don't intend to use newer GCC for building other ports. (Edit (2016.12.09): The method about USE_GCC=yes maybe outdated for latest version of port(s), because of USES+=compiler:c++11-lib usage.)

The other method is updating to FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE version, where LLVM/Clang 3.3 is default compiler (e.g. by using freebsd-update command), but this may require to rebuild/reinstall used software.

(Edit: Previous information may be outdated for newer FreeBSD versions.)

References:
- upp-x11-src-11783.tar.gz source archive from Nightly builds page.
- upp-nightly-11783.tar.bz2 archive from attachments with upp-nightly port for 11783 revision, which contents you may extract to /usr/ports/devel directory.
- upp-nightly-7697.txz package for FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p2 amd64 (for about 30 days after publication date).
- upp-nightly-7697.log with poudriere build log (for about 30 days after publication date).
- GCC48.bm file for GCC 4.8 build method.

Toggle information about previous edits

Edit (2018.02.15): Updated to 11783 revision.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 February 2018 14:40]

Re: Latest TheIDE builds fail to execute under FreeBSD [message #44271 is a reply to message #43560] Tue, 17 February 2015 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello, Pavel.

I have updated the upp-nightly port's archive after Mirek's topic about "Release candidate 2015.1".

In general, the update to newer version looks like follows (with examples for make command):
1. Change PORTVERSION to available U++ revision number for port's Makefile.
2. Switch to root credentials (e.g. with su command), if needed. Run following command to fetch distfile to DISTDIR:
# make NO_CHECKSUM=1 fetch
3. Return to regular user (e.g. with exit command), if needed. Generate new distinfo file for distfile in step 2:
% make makesum
Also, there is a possibility to check the port installation before install with following command:
% make check-plist
If there are no errors, then the port is ready to install with "make install" command.
Also possible to create package (in work/pkg directory) for installation with using "make package" command. The "pkg add package.txz" may be used for package installation, where "package.txz" is a name of (or path to) created package.
The "make clean" command is used to remove port's intermediate files and directories.
The "make deinstall" command is used to remove installation, for example, before running "make install" command, in case of already installed port.

There are ports, which simplifies installation, e.g. portmaster:
# portmaster -Bd devel/upp-nightly

[Updated on: Sun, 15 January 2017 07:11]

Re: Latest TheIDE builds fail to execute under FreeBSD [message #47111 is a reply to message #43648] Fri, 09 December 2016 07:25 Go to previous message
Updated devel/upp-nightly port's archive.

Edit: Attached archive was removed. Building of umk integrated into devel/upp-nightly port.

[Updated on: Thu, 09 February 2017 15:03]

Previous Topic: Theide problem on lubuntu 16.04 dolik ppa
Next Topic: Man page for theide and umk are not in snapshot tarballs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:44:18 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01492 seconds