Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » worthy points?
worthy points? [message #309] Wed, 07 December 2005 21:28 Go to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Quote:

I think they’re a good alternative choice and full-featured against already existing projects, but since they’re not used for large and important projects they’ve no bindings for other languages, and this is a bad thing: in fact i just talked about the most important projects at the moment.

Altough they could be great projects, they won’t be used because no one wants to change its development style/model based on his preferred GUI toolkit.

Another reason is that they’re not put as default GUI toolkits in any Linux distro (for example), this would add more dependencies on my software.

I like changing things, and getting something new about development… i will develop an application with one of the above projects only when they become more supported and popular.

And so on…

http://www.lethalman.net/?p=5

Re: worthy points? [message #310 is a reply to message #309] Wed, 07 December 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Unfortunate thing about U++ in this respect is that it agressively uses C++ features - and many of them are not available in other languages (destructors, operator overloading, strong typing, templates). That makes other language bindings possible, but you would loose much of effectivity that way. It would be similar problem as makeing language bindings to boost or STL Smile

As for U++ not being used by Linux distro, that would in fact mean creating new desktop environment. While that is certainly interesting project and U++ is likely to shine in such thing (think e.g. about booting your desktop in 3 seconds Smile, it is unlikely to happen at the moment. The right thing now is Chameleon technology, which will make U++ seamlessly visually integrate with both mainstream toolkits (Gnome and Qt).
Re: worthy points? [message #312 is a reply to message #310] Wed, 07 December 2005 23:11 Go to previous message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
luzr wrote on Wed, 07 December 2005 16:31

Unfortunate thing about U++ in this respect is that it agressively uses C++ features - and many of them are not available in other languages (destructors, operator overloading, strong typing, templates). That makes other language bindings possible, but you would loose much of effectivity that way. It would be similar problem as makeing language bindings to boost or STL Smile

I know that but how to lift up it to the heads of others... Smile

Quote:

As for U++ not being used by Linux distro, that would in fact mean creating new desktop environment. While that is certainly interesting project and U++ is likely to shine in such thing (think e.g. about booting your desktop in 3 seconds Smile, it is unlikely to happen at the moment. The right thing now is Chameleon technology, which will make U++ seamlessly visually integrate with both mainstream toolkits (Gnome and Qt).

AFAIK, fox-toolkit has done their desktop ... I haven't tried but knowing it I guess is nearly as fast... Would be good to find out ...
Previous Topic: thanks for a great project
Next Topic: Ultimate++ on Ruby garden needs update?...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:16:57 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01636 seconds