Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution!
I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution! [message #46900] Thu, 08 September 2016 17:40 Go to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Any hints?

For starters, I installed Virtual Box, got Mint Linux and then I'm going to try and create a binary with as few .so dependencies as possible...

Edit: Yup, this will be quite the adventure!

index.php?t=getfile&id=5057&private=0

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2016 18:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution! [message #46901 is a reply to message #46900] Thu, 08 September 2016 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
My first attempt at installing from compiling form sources did not work. It compiled for 20 minutes and ultimately did not manage to find the final TheIDE executable.

Then I added the PPA and got the above result.

My second attempt at compiling worked though. TheIDE and UWord are up and running as a test.

UWord din compile in 9 minutes, but I guess that is due to the VM setup.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 September 2016 18:26]

Re: I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution! [message #46903 is a reply to message #46901] Thu, 08 September 2016 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Compilation for tarbal on Linux Mint should work out of the box. All you need to do is execute following commands
cd $(dirWhenUppIsStored)
chmod +x debian
sudo debian #execute script tha install all need packages for compilation and linking
make

After that you should configure your TheIDE.

If there is any compilation error, please let us know about this. We will try to fix it.

Quote:

My first attempt at installing from compiling form sources did not work. It compiled for 20 minutes and ultimately did not manage to find the final TheIDE electable.

After successful build it should be stored in $(dirWhenUppIsStored) directory.

P.S.
You can try to invoke make with -j $(cpuNumbers), but it might not work yet. If you test that option please post feedback in this topic.

Sincerely and good luck with fighting Linux,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2016 22:53]

Re: I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution! [message #46907 is a reply to message #46903] Fri, 09 September 2016 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deep is currently offline  deep
Experienced Member
Hi

I am getting following error during compile from source

Ubuntu 16.04
UPP10171 & upp10201

./Core/Map.hpp:306:8: error: call of overloaded 'Sort(Upp::Vector<int>&)' is ambiguous Sort(b);

c++ -c -x c++ -O3 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections  -std=c++0x -I./ -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz   -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/X11R6/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/X11R6/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/cairo -I/usr/X11R6/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/gtkglext-1.0 -I/usr/lib/gtkglext-1.0/include -I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include -DflagGCC -DflagSHARED -DflagLINUX -DflagPOSIX -DflagMAIN  umk/Console.cpp -o _out/umk//home/upp/Scripts/GCCMK.bm-Gcc-Linux-Main-Posix-Shared/Console.o
In file included from ./Core/Core.h:334:0,
                 from ./Esc/Esc.h:4,
                 from ./ide/Core/Core.h:4,
                 from ./ide/Builders/Builders.h:4,
                 from umk/umake.h:4,
                 from umk/Console.cpp:1:
./Core/Map.hpp: In member function 'void Upp::AIndex<T, V>::Sweep()':
./Core/Map.hpp:306:8: error: call of overloaded 'Sort(Upp::Vector<int>&)' is ambiguous
  Sort(b);
        ^
./Core/Map.hpp:306:8: note: candidates are:
In file included from ./Core/Core.h:276:0,
./Core/Sort.h:119:6: note: void Upp::Sort(Range&) [with Range = Upp::Vector<int>]
 void Sort(Range& c)
      ^
./Core/Sort.h:125:6: note: void Upp::Sort(Range&&) [with Range = Upp::Vector<int>&]
 void Sort(Range&& c) { Sort(c); }
      ^
In file included from ./Core/Core.h:334:0,
./Core/Map.hpp: In member function 'void Upp::AMap<K, T, V>::Sweep()':
./Core/Map.hpp:628:8: error: call of overloaded 'Sort(Upp::Vector<int>&)' is ambiguous
  Sort(b);
        ^
./Core/Map.hpp:628:8: note: candidates are:
In file included from ./Core/Core.h:276:0,
./Core/Sort.h:119:6: note: void Upp::Sort(Range&) [with Range = Upp::Vector<int>]
 void Sort(Range& c)
      ^
./Core/Sort.h:125:6: note: void Upp::Sort(Range&&) [with Range = Upp::Vector<int>&]
 void Sort(Range&& c) { Sort(c); }

Warm Regards

Deepak
Re: I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution! [message #46909 is a reply to message #46903] Fri, 09 September 2016 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Klugier wrote on Thu, 08 September 2016 23:51
Hello,

Compilation for tarbal on Linux Mint should work out of the box. All you need to do is execute following commands
cd $(dirWhenUppIsStored)
chmod +x debian
sudo debian #execute script tha install all need packages for compilation and linking
make

Hi Klugier,

Unfortunately I don't have the original error log anymore since my second compile was a success.

But I found VirtualBox to be ridiculously slow. Slow like a computer from 10 years ago.

So now I'm on VMWare Player and it feels snappy. Might compile all in under 20 minutes this time.

This means that I'm repeating the setup process again from zero, and if real problems show up, I'll post the logs.

Thanks for the help!

But it will probably work.

On the other hand, I know this is the tried and true Linux way, but I still can't approve: my first compile spit out about two pages that I had to read to figure out what was wrong and the conclusion was:
make: C++: command not found

Yeah yeah, I know how to fix this, but whatever scripts I'll try to create for my own software will do their best to print a single line in this case: "dude, you don't have a c++ compiler!".

Re: I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution! [message #46910 is a reply to message #46901] Fri, 09 September 2016 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
cbpporter wrote on Thu, 08 September 2016 21:09
My first attempt at installing from compiling form sources did not work. It compiled for 20 minutes and ultimately did not manage to find the final TheIDE executable.

Happened a second time.

It was a missing libnotify-dev. This package is required late in the compilation process.

It would be great if the scripts were modified to first compile behind the scenes a dummy.cpp which includes all the headers and links with all the .so for an average build.

Everything seems to work right now and UWord compilation went down from 9 minutes to 1:08...
Re: I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution! [message #46911 is a reply to message #46909] Fri, 09 September 2016 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Fri, 09 September 2016 17:49
Klugier wrote on Thu, 08 September 2016 23:51
Hello,

cd $(dirWhenUppIsStored)
chmod +x debian
make

Hi Klugier,

Unfortunately I don't have the original error log anymore since my second compile was a success.

But I found VirtualBox to be ridiculously slow. Slow like a computer from 10 years ago.

Same experience here...
Re: I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution! [message #46912 is a reply to message #46907] Fri, 09 September 2016 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
deep wrote on Fri, 09 September 2016 13:46
Hi

Ubuntu 16.04
UPP10171 & upp10201

./Core/Map.hpp:306:8: error: call of overloaded 'Sort(Upp::Vector<int>&)' is ambiguous Sort(b);

What is your

c++ --version

?

(I have just tested in ubuntu 16.04, umk compiled without problems - but this is a bug that I have encountered with some older gcc versions)
Re: I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution! [message #46916 is a reply to message #46912] Sat, 10 September 2016 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coolman is currently offline  coolman
Experienced Member
mirek wrote on Fri, 09 September 2016 20:12
deep wrote on Fri, 09 September 2016 13:46
Hi

Ubuntu 16.04
UPP10171 & upp10201

What is your

c++ --version

?

(I have just tested in ubuntu 16.04, umk compiled without problems - but this is a bug that I have encountered with some older gcc versions)

Hi,

I can confirm, that you have to use gcc version 4.9+ to solve this error.

BR, Radek
Re: I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution! [message #46917 is a reply to message #46916] Tue, 13 September 2016 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Yeah, I spent 2 days fixing / vs \ bugs.

Fun fun.
Re: I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution! [message #46992 is a reply to message #46917] Wed, 12 October 2016 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
The saga continues.

I found another strange issue.

Using CtrlLayout(*this, "TITLE"); in my main windows causes it to not be resizeable vertically. Horizontal is fine. This in turn disables maximization.

Fixed for now by not calling CtrlLayout.
Re: I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution! [message #46997 is a reply to message #46992] Wed, 12 October 2016 19:39 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
cbpporter wrote on Wed, 12 October 2016 14:31
The saga continues.

I found another strange issue.

Using CtrlLayout(*this, "TITLE"); in my main windows causes it to not be resizeable vertically. Horizontal is fine. This in turn disables maximization.

Fixed for now by not calling CtrlLayout.

Managed to reproduce the bug reliably with AdressBook. You need to set Sizeable().Zoomable() for it to work.

What you need to do is set the layout hight so it is greater than the desktop area. For instance, this works fine:
LAYOUT(AdressBookLayout, 512, 500)

because it causes my window to be less than the desktop height.

But:
LAYOUT(AdressBookLayout, 512, 600)

causes the window to not be resizeable vertically.

Works with any TopWindow.

I am using Mint Linux 18 with who knows whatever weird X i never say before: might be Cinnamon? What happened with Gnome and KDE?
Previous Topic: What next?
Next Topic: Wonders of C++14
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:51:52 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01488 seconds