Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » LineEdit, EditFields, DocEdit » How to let appear by default the bar in the LineEdit?
How to let appear by default the bar in the LineEdit? [message #3136] Mon, 08 May 2006 22:14 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I'm playing with the lineedit ctrl and I've noticed that the scrolling bars are not shown by default.
In the attached picture the user realizes that the text continue on the right but do not see any bar to scroll it. I was object of the same problem the first time, even because I clicked with no success over the empty region. So I believed that the area was freezed by some option. At the end I realized that the behaviour could be the same of TheIDE and I clicked inside the long row and the bar appeared.
The situation could be dangerous when the data are present in the hided region but the user do not know it. So he can believe that the output is missing something and the program is bugged.
In other words I think that the bars should be always visible by default (at least if there is at least one long row that overcome the right side of the screen). Unfortunately I haven't found the method to set it. I am sure it is present, it isn't?

Luigi
  • Attachment: swiss4.jpg
    (Size: 53.15KB, Downloaded 1983 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 08 May 2006 22:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to let appear by default the bar in the LineEdit? [message #3137 is a reply to message #3136] Mon, 08 May 2006 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Mon, 08 May 2006 16:14

Hello,

I'm playing with the lineedit ctrl and I've noticed that the scrolling bars are not shown by default.
In the attached picture the user realizes that the text continue on the right but do not see any bar to scroll it. I was object of the same problem the first time, even because I clicked with no success over the empty region. So I believed that the area was freezed by some option. At the end I realized that the behaviour could be the same of TheIDE and I clicked inside the long row and the bar appeared.
The situation could be dangerous when the data are present in the hided region but the user do not know it. So he can believe that the output is missing something and the program is bugged.
In other words I think that the bars should be always visible by default (at least if there is at least one long row that overcome the right side of the screen). Unfortunately I haven't found the method to set it. I am sure it is present, it isn't?

Luigi

This issue was already considered and added to ToDo.

Right now you can make horz. scrollbar always visible by calling NoHorzScrollbar(false).

Mirek
Re: How to let appear by default the bar in the LineEdit? [message #3145 is a reply to message #3137] Tue, 09 May 2006 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Mon, 08 May 2006 17:02

Right now you can make horz. scrollbar always visible by calling NoHorzScrollbar(false).

Mirek

Will the old behaviour (scrollbar appears on long lines only if cursor is there) be saved? I really like that solution.
Re: How to let appear by default the bar in the LineEdit? [message #3149 is a reply to message #3145] Tue, 09 May 2006 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 02:32

luzr wrote on Mon, 08 May 2006 17:02

Mirek

Will the old behaviour (scrollbar appears on long lines only if cursor is there) be saved? I really like that solution.

Unlikely. However, there are two possibilities:

- it will appear when there is long line on the page
- it will appear when there is long line in the text

(I am not sure so far what will be the case...)

Mirek
Re: How to let appear by default the bar in the LineEdit? [message #3155 is a reply to message #3149] Tue, 09 May 2006 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 03:58

- it will appear when there if long line on the page
- it will appear when there if long line in the text

Mirek

That's a pity.. especialy in the context of theide editor (in my apps this is not so important). Regarding to your question second proposition seems to be more natural...

[Updated on: Tue, 09 May 2006 13:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to let appear by default the bar in the LineEdit? [message #3157 is a reply to message #3155] Tue, 09 May 2006 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 07:29

luzr wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 03:58

- it will appear when there if long line on the page
- it will appear when there if long line in the text

Mirek

That's a pity.. especialy in the context of theide editor (in my apps this is not so important). Regarding to your question second proposition seems to be more natural...

Actually, I would like the first one more, because that is quite similar to the current behaviour, while improving one annoying aspect - you will not have to place cursor to the long line to scroll to see its content (that often makes me angry).

Mirek
Re: How to let appear by default the bar in the LineEdit? [message #3158 is a reply to message #3157] Tue, 09 May 2006 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 08:15

Actually, I would like the first one more, because that is quite similar to the current behaviour, while improving one annoying aspect - you will not have to place cursor to the long line to scroll to see its content (that often makes me angry).
Mirek

Actually, the best option would be to have both and let the user to decide which to use.
PS: After thinking a while about the first option I think it's quite useful.
Re: How to let appear by default the bar in the LineEdit? [message #3159 is a reply to message #3157] Tue, 09 May 2006 14:28 Go to previous message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 14:15

Mirek

I like the first one too. It suggests immediately to the user that there is nothing to scroll when the bar is absent.

Luigi
Previous Topic: line edit problem in designer
Next Topic: How to Print a file inside LineEdit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:55:20 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01683 seconds