Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » A new set of scripts to create rpm file from Subversion
A new set of scripts to create rpm file from Subversion [message #18543] Tue, 07 October 2008 16:20 Go to previous message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
Hi all,

I customized a bit the scripts given for rpm construction and added a small script to adapt the construction to the svn version.

What it does:

--- A --- upp-prepare-archive
1. Moves ~/upp directory to ~/upp___orig for backup
2. Does a 'svn export' of needed directories in ~/tmp-upp and create a symbolic link from tmp-upp to upp ('upp' directory name is needed for step 3)
3. Uses theide commandline to generate an up-to-date Makefile for 'ide' package
4. Modifies the Makefile to make it more generic and correct the optimization flags
5. Adds a top-level Makefile to be called by rpmbuild
6. Adds the whole ~/upp content in the file ~/rpm/SOURCES/upp-src-svn.tar.gz
7. Removes the upp symbolic link and rename upp___orig to upp

--- B --- rpmbuild
When your rpmbuild configuration is ready (see .rpmrc and .rpmmacros), you can then execute
rpmbuild -bb ~/rpm/SPECS/upp-svn.spec
and wait...

RPM file(s) will be created in ~/rpm/RPMS/...

What is included:

the archive can be safely extracted in your home directory. You will get:
- Some files created under "rpm" (they won't overwrite other ones, don't worry), specifically some patches and the upp-svn.spec file
- dot_rpmrc and dot_rpmmacros: to be used as a basis for .rpmrc and .rpmmacros files if you don't already have them
- upp-prepare-archive in your home directory.

I want a rpm file built from scratch using the current svn revision! What should I do ?

simply type:
cd ~ && ./upp-prepare-archive && rpmbuild -bb ~/rpm/SPECS/upp-svn.spec

To install it, you must add the --nogpgcheck option (or equivalent).

It has been tested under Fedora 9 only.

I AM AN EXTREME BEGINNER IN RPM CONSTRUCTION! USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

As you will see, upp-prepare-archive is an ugly hack. Really. So please be careful, backup your upp directory in case, and don't blame me if you loose some data. Rule of thumb: never do this as root..

If someone (amrein?) wants to gather and maintain these scripts with the existing ones, I'll be happy since I really don't have time to maintain it. Sorry for that. Maybe later... Furthermore, people who already master rpm construction will be much more efficient than me.

Enjoy.

Lionel

[Updated on: Fri, 10 October 2008 13:54]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Next Win32 release note
Next Topic: src release