FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Splitting debs into two parts
Splitting debs into two parts [message #26171] Wed, 07 April 2010 19:31 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hello all,

I believe that there should be two debian packages. One architecture dependent, containing theide and the other should contain sources, as they are architecture independent.

I am aware that some of you might not like this idea, but there are two strong reasons to do so:
  1. Size. Now, every build produces 14 packages (~23MB each) plus source package (~20MB). That makes almost 350MB every night. If we split the package into two, it will be about 170MB. I think that using the launchpad resources responsibly is kind of good etiquette...
  2. Standards. Debian policy manual actually states, that large amounts of architecture independent files should be distributed in separate package. If we want to get into debian or ubuntu, we have to adhere to their rules as much as possible.

+ It supports the idea from index page: "You can use both, or you can use whichever you need."

Technical details: Packages would be connected through dependency, so for the end user nothing changes. The transition will be very smooth, just one update will pull two packages instead of one. I think best names would be "upp" for sources and "upp-ide" for theide.

What is your opinion on this?

Best regards,
Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Problems to build U++
Next Topic: using Ctrl::Add; required for templates / overloaded virtual functions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 22 11:02:03 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02771 seconds